Suggestions for cross country skis

Are lessons recommended for total novice? Or should I just buy a set off craigslist and head to the backcountry... being sure to videotape my efforts for posterity of course.

Its pretty simple to pick up, first time make sure its flat and either tracked or a couple inches and make your own. Don't forget poles

+1 with the partial metal edge, if you want to explore the woods. The shorter wider ski with NNN BC binding will give you more stability but is slower in the glide, which may be perfect to start. There will be a little bit of a learning curve. :D

If you prefer the golf course or groomed XC ski centers, the standard set up, even 25 year old equipment will do. Open areas are good to learn the glide motion, although most people skiing in these areas are just walking with skiis. :rolleyes:

If you want to do both I would go with a med width metal edge ski and standard binding and boot. This is what I have. Mine are waxless and mr pixy waxes. Go figure :rolleyes:

If you live north, Minewaska and Mohonk Mountain house also have groomed trails after snow storms. My favorite skiing is just heading out into the woods after a big dump. Rocky areas will need over a foot if it is light snow.
Walking with skis, I love it! I see it all the time. I'm waxless but wax outside my fishscales cause i go in rocky areas after a dusting:D

Skiing in rocky areas, is that a no go unless there's a lot of snow? Most mtb trails up north have at least some rocky sections. Can you get through them even there's a small amount of snow?

I just lift one foot up alot and let the rock pass under. Most of my ski damage is from full skate or herringboning the climbs when its tight or minimal snow. Lifting a foot without an edge will be sketchy. Hitting dirt/grass under the first snow or catchin a vine in the fluff are worse scenarios than rocks. Bah, skis are cheap :getsome:

I don't need vines to fall. Sometimes I just fall on my face for no reason, .....but it's nice to put that one in my imaginary excuse manual.:D

here's a pic from last winter. reservoir next to mills. i think my bindings frooze as i got near rail trail and head back to mills

IMG_1478.JPG

went to campmor today and they had the xc dept just in fromt of the mtb dept.

saw a pair of skiis w/bindings about $100

these 2 books i bought a camp mor last year

50 hikes in nj (has table in front indicating if xc is available
cross country skiing: building skills for fun and fitness

The problem with buying skis online is that you may get the wrong size. A ski shop should be able to advise you best. If you buy too large, you will not have enough kick and will get very frustrated. You need to size your skis to your weight. As a beginner, I would go smaller, if you are between sizes.

Can't see the link. Don't go with the weight to length thing if you're goin in the woods. I'm runnin at least 20cm shorter than "the industry" recommends. I do have to up the kick rpm in the open against the longer skis but as soon as we get to trees i'm gone. Bein a lil slow in yer classic style isnt gonna send ya to the ER, but rockin 200s in the trees just might:popcorn:

Brad, did you ever get your xc skis?

If you got them yesterday I'd say you timed it just right, the white stuff is definitely coming.

the white stuff is here. i took out the xc skiis today where i live but the snow was very deep. i think the conditions will be better in the next two-three days.
anyone get in any good skiing:popcorn:

Brad, did you ever get your xc skis?

If you got them yesterday I'd say you timed it just right, the white stuff is definitely coming.

yeah, i got them. like freeride said, going to wait until things pack down a bit. and for the wind to settle down as i'd probably get blown over right now.

I got out today for an hour after digging out 4 houses in the neighborhood:drooling:
There is a park not to far from my house that had some tracks laid down my someone else.

anyone near Hillsborough up for some fun? or at least watch me roll around on my ass?

I still need to get some real skiis for the woods...cough brett??

Back
Top Bottom