Stolen Bike - Monmouth County

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
They found it? Link?
876E70CE-51AE-43B4-A04B-546227139392.jpg

don

Sorry for not updating the site - I was actually at my son's HS football game (which is a big deal if any of you played football or have a football player) and this all came together right after the start.

I was watching the game and @rustynuts texts me - "hey Belmar has your bike". And was like WTF - hop on IG and I was blown away with what happened. I've been on IG responding to DM's for the past hour or so while watching the football game.

So everydayliving was riding Allaire today and had heard about my bike getting stolen. Saw a guy riding it and pretty much confronted him and said that's a stolen bike get off. Got the bike to Belmar and those guys plus a number of other local riders were getting in touch with me to say they found it. I hope I can at least get a description of the thief so I can figure out how/why/when they came and took it but so happy that Brendan got it back like he did - I cannot imagine the feeling of confronting someone like that.

It has been an emotional roller coaster and couldn't have happened without our group of mtb'ers. To hear a friend of a friend of a friend recognized my bike and did something to get it back is beyond words. Then to add in all the responses and help and thoughts from here and on IG was amazing. I told my wife before I found out that Kyle had it at his shop that just hearing from the community made the whole mess so much better. You can have a special bond with your bike but it is replaceable and it's nothing like the friendships that the bike bring with others.

Big thanks to Kyle at Belmar, Brendan, Tommy Ihnken, Tony Hamlin, and so many others.

I'll post more once I get to Belmar tomorrow - thank you everyone!!

don

Awesome!!

Wait, so new saddle and grips? Hope they caught the person.
I had the tan seat and grips on it - the first picture in the post was from when I first got it. Kyle from Belmar actually said the copper colored Deity stem stood out and Brendan easily recognized it! What's the saying - "friends don't let friends ride stock bikes?"

Cassinonorth

Sorry for not updating the site - I was actually at my son's HS football game (which is a big deal if any of you played football or have a football player) and this all came together right after the start.

I was watching the game and @rustynuts texts me - "hey Belmar has your bike". And was like WTF - hop on IG and I was blown away with what happened. I've been on IG responding to DM's for the past hour or so while watching the football game.

So everydayliving was riding Allaire today and had heard about my bike getting stolen. Saw a guy riding it and pretty much confronted him and said that's a stolen bike get off. Got the bike to Belmar and those guys plus a number of other local riders were getting in touch with me to say they found it. I hope I can at least get a description of the thief so I can figure out how/why/when they came and took it but so happy that Brendan got it back like he did - I cannot imagine the feeling of confronting someone like that.

Holy shit what a boss that dude is. Super happy for you!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Glad to hear.

Luckily the guy who ended up with bike at Allaire was dumb enough to ride a stolen bike in the most popular mtb trail system in NJ days after mtbing social media sites were buzzing about your bike.

That's awesome that everyday confronted the dude, that takes more ballz then people think.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
First off, this goes into the "Things that make you smile" thread. I'm so happy for you Don. What a great community of friends and people who look out for each other!
Secondly - Am I the only one shocked that the thief actually rides? On trails?

EJphotos

Awesome! Interested to hear how that confrontation went. I bet it was a different guy riding it than who stole it. Maybe it was quickly and quietly sold?

JDurk

Great news. Not too often does a bike recovery occur, and so fast. Would really like to hear more details of the trail exchange.

mwlikesbikes

Fantastic! I think I may have passed the guy going the opposite way by the tower on Mt. Fukitol. Of course I didn’t see this thread until I was done with my ride yesterday.

Reactions: don
Top Bottom