Stolen Bike - Monmouth County

Cassinonorth

This is an epidemic in North Jersey for every town in proximity of 280, the Turnpike, Pkwy, or trains to Newark. Lock your cars, garages, and don't leave the keys inside. The local PD doesn't even bother arresting these guys unless they're caught with weapons otherwise the holding cells would be packed, and these guys don't show up for warrants or court dates anyway. This is coming from the horses mouth.

Every other day I get the ring notification about people checking doors in the night or getting their stuff stolen. It's pretty wild people just leave their cars unlocked.

If you ever have 25 minutes to kill this a great documentary on the car jackers by the late Micheal K Williams.

don

Sorry about the bike. That sucks.

Just tossing blink cameras in the mix. One of the first things I set up on my house for some peace of mind(be on each door). Can get 2 outdoor cameras for under $200 on Amazon. Mounts are fairly easy to place wherever as long as they’re within range of the base station.
Worked last night to get the Arlo's all dialed in (I need to get them hardwired). I also have some leads for extra security. With a family and dogs - having something happen to them is way worse than any bike getting taken.

don

This is never something I want to read about.

I know a private / independent insurance adjuster when has been quite helpful in Navigating theft and damages of bikes.

I’m not sure what his rate is, but I know he’s been helpful to a few customers.

If it comes to it and you see reimbursement, I have just a few bronsons on hand but the new ones are mixed wheels as you know.
Thanks J - I actually have a Esker Elkat I've been trying to sell so I can ride that (although the Bronson rode soooo good). I'll probably skip the insurance due to rates/deductables but thanks for the offer. Really appreciate the support 🙏

Last edited:

don

Every other day I get the ring notification about people checking doors in the night or getting their stuff stolen. It's pretty wild people just leave their cars unlocked.

If you ever have 25 minutes to kill this a great documentary on the car jackers by the late Micheal K Williams.
I've actually heard that you keep no valuables in your cars and "unlocked" so you aren't paying for a new glass window/broken door.

What is really wild is that with cameras all over that people are even trying to break into stuff. Like Capt Brainstorm said there is nothing that can be done with it.

Cassinonorth

I've actually heard that you keep no valuables in your cars and "unlocked" so you aren't paying for a new glass window/broken door.

What is really wild is that with cameras all over that people are even trying to break into stuff. Like Capt Brainstorm said there is nothing that can be done with it.

I think people actually don't realize the fob is in striking range and the car just starts right up without a key. Technology is great, ain't it?

Reactions: don

gcab

I think people actually don't realize the fob is in striking range and the car just starts right up without a key. Technology is great, ain't it?
My FIL's car was stolen like this. Thieves pulled at the door handle and held a with some sort of transceiver to the house and the car searched for the key and it got the frequency or however its done. I don't have keyless entry, but if I did, I would put my key in a faraday box/bag at home to prevent that. Called a relay theft.

But on topic, keep a look out on LetGo, Offerup, Facebook and Craigslist etc. I'm always on FBM so I can keep a look out as well, but I feel like mostly these either get stripped or sold locally.

Last edited:

Captain Brainstorm

Camera's aren't that useful because these guys wear hoodies, hats, and look away from the cameras. They typically don't break the glass because calling attention to what they're doing disrupts things. Its a numbers game, hit 100 houses to find the 1 or 2 with unlocked cars.

If you're worried about your family, get an alarm system with sensors on all the entry points and motion sensors for inside. These guys typically don't try to break and enter because they don't want to get shot or beaten to death with a baseball bat. Plus B&E while someone is home is a whole nother level of penalties, especially if you have priors.

one piece crank

Worked last night to get the Arlo's all dialed in (I need to get them hardwired). I also have some leads for extra security. With a family and dogs - having something happen to them is way worse than any bike getting taken.
FWIW, the Blink cameras average 2-year battery life for me. So they are good for remote locations.

mfennell

Sorry to hear it Don.

Camera's aren't that useful because these guys wear hoodies, hats, and look away from the cameras.

Not only that, but what good is even a clear, full HD pic of some random person stealing your bike unless you know them personally? It's not like it will featured on nationwide television. My neighbor's camera caught another neighbor's Audi being stolen a few years ago (fob in it, of course). "Oh look, there's a guy stealing Lisa's car". Totally useless.

I'm blown away to hear people are STILL stealing cars with the key fobs left in them. The cynic is me thinks 'lease must have been coming up and didn't want to pay the damage/mileage penalties'.

My wife locks her car in our locked and alarmed garage. Drives me nuts.

JDurk

Because she's so used to turning locks on her way in or out, my wife has locked me out of the house when leaving for work, as I follower her out the door to put the trash at the curb.

We now have a keyless entry on that door.

Last edited:

don

FWIW, the Blink cameras average 2-year battery life for me. So they are good for remote locations.
2 years is a good amount of time. I'm going to hardwire some in as well and making some calls today for other stuff. Bummer that this is the world we live in these days.

And it's not just in NJ. A Rover buddy in Vermont said the amount of bicycle thefts up there is unreal right now. I guess no place is safe anymore.

qclabrat

Sorry to hear about that @don, we've had some transactions and remember your deep property. I've also gotten lazy after rides and have been leaving the bike outside to dry after a hose down. The thief may have spotted you after a ride a followed you and only had intentions to take the bike if nothing else was taken. We have constant car break-in issues almost daily as people just don't lock their cars. I'll keep my eyes out on this one.

don

Camera's aren't that useful because these guys wear hoodies, hats, and look away from the cameras. They typically don't break the glass because calling attention to what they're doing disrupts things. Its a numbers game, hit 100 houses to find the 1 or 2 with unlocked cars.

If you're worried about your family, get an alarm system with sensors on all the entry points and motion sensors for inside. These guys typically don't try to break and enter because they don't want to get shot or beaten to death with a baseball bat. Plus B&E while someone is home is a whole nother level of penalties, especially if you have priors.
Sorry to hear it Don.

Not only that, but what good is even a clear, full HD pic of some random person stealing your bike unless you know them personally? It's not like it will featured on nationwide television. My neighbor's camera caught another neighbor's Audi being stolen a few years ago (fob in it, of course). "Oh look, there's a guy stealing Lisa's car". Totally useless.

I'm blown away to hear people are STILL stealing cars with the key fobs left in them. The cynic is me thinks 'lease must have been coming up and didn't want to pay the damage/mileage penalties'.

Good posts - thanks for the info guys

So while cameras may help give time of day it almost seems like a false sense of security.

don

Because she is so used the turning locks on her way in or out, my wife has locked me out of the house when leaving for work, as I follower her out the door to put the trash at the curb.

We now have a keyless entry on that door.
My in-laws just did keyless entry - going to look into that too.

don

Sorry to hear about that @don, we've had some transactions and remember your deep property. I've also gotten lazy after rides and have been leaving the bike outside to dry after a hose down. The thief may have spotted you after a ride a followed you and only had intentions to take the bike if nothing else was taken. We have constant car break-in issues almost daily as people just don't lock their cars. I'll keep my eyes out on this one.
Many thanks - with the garage in pretty far back I do get a little lazy but keep the garage doors closed if I'm not home. The local PD seems to think it was targeted. It's not the M.O. of the car thieves/ring that has been going around. On the plus side between here and IG it's been awesome to have so much support from people - shows how great the community is 👍

Top Bottom