Stokes State Forest Conditions

A good amount of the trees have been cleared in Stokes. Someone has been cutting them out. I did a few long rides in the last few weeks and trails are in decent shape. Some smaller logs but are easy to go over. The Blue Mountain Loop really opened up Stokes for some good loop options where you no longer have to use paved roads to link trails up. Been having some fun riding Stokes.

mtn

Any trail intel here? Specifically downed trees and their locations. Anyone been on the XC skiing trail off of Struble Rd?

Any trail intel here? Specifically downed trees and their locations. Anyone been on the XC skiing trail off of Struble Rd?
Most trails should be in good shape. Any recent downed trees were cleared. The ski trail Steffen I'm not sure about as the maple leaf trail is better route.

mtbiker87

There was a big tree down on bottom of yellow, not to far from the sign that shows Tinsley going one way, and cabin the other ? ( Was my first time riding at Stokes) There was one down on blue, not sure of how to describe where, but it was waist height. It was to big for my Silky, but I cut the smaller branch holding it up, which dropped it, and built a log over, for those who might find it to high to hop.

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_131706334.jpg
    IMG_20210118_131706334.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20210118_132908373_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210118_132908373_HDR.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20210118_132916888.jpg
    IMG_20210118_132916888.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: mtn
There was a big tree down on bottom of yellow, not to far from the sign that shows Tinsley going one way, and cabin the other ? ( Was my first time riding at Stokes) There was one down on blue, not sure of how to describe where, but it was waist height. It was to big for my Silky, but I cut the smaller branch holding it up, which dropped it, and built a log over, for those who might find it to high to hop.
How long ago was that? They might have been cleared.

mtn

Maple leaf trail? Been a while since I've been to this park.

Oh Red Maple Trail. Mainly repurposed fire roads.
And the XC Ski trail is Steffen.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What a delightful surprise. I followed the blue dot trail which was pretty easy for the most part to follow. Started across from ymca I think that tunnel lot? I originally started at a different location to follow 16 mile TF loop but after fireroad after fire road I turned around and started from a different spot. Almost gave up after the first try and thought of just going to PJ.

Glad I didn't, what a great mix of trails, plenty of tech to keep you focused. Haven't been to stokes since my '92 rigid 970 trek and I don't know why. I guess I was noob and I was riding '92 970 trek lol.

Honestly I don't know why more people don't ride here except it's probably too far. I'm sure plenty of the locals ride here though as the trails are in mint shape with nary a deadfall.

Maybe this place needs an mtbnj group ride.
I certainly will be back to explore more as I passed plenty of off trails and all are marked really well. Need to hook up with a local to get some proper.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/xO6BbqFyDrb

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What a delightful surprise. I followed the blue dot trail which was pretty easy for the most part to follow. Started across from ymca I think that tunnel lot? I originally started at a different location to follow 16 mile TF loop but after fireroad after fire road I turned around and started from a different spot. Almost gave up after the first try and thought of just going to PJ.

Glad I didn't, what a great mix of trails, plenty of tech to keep you focused. Haven't been to stokes since my '92 rigid 970 trek and I don't know why. I guess I was noob and I was riding '92 970 trek lol.

Honestly I don't know why more people don't ride here except it's probably too far. I'm sure plenty of the locals ride here though as the trails are in mint shape with nary a deadfall.

I certainly will be back to explore more as I passed plenty of off trails and all are marked really well. Need to hook up with a local to get some proper.

Interesting. I rode here once like 20 years ago and the rock gardens were immersed in grass. Like you I had a fully rigid Trek, and it was terrible. I just assumed that for the most part, people did not ride here.

Now I am intrigued.

It's slowly getting more bikers but I always suprised that there isn't more people riding Stokes. Since the Blue Mtn loop was created the trail system has been great. There a few of us who keep Stokes maintained but still keep that raw old school feel. I also love doing the northwest section of Stokes, Rock Oak Criss etc. Check out Trail Forks I added a few good loop options. Even the South end is nice like Maple Leaf trail.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's slowly getting more bikers but I always suprised that there isn't more people riding Stokes. Since the Blue Mtn loop was created the trail system has been great. There a few of us who keep Stokes maintained but still keep that raw old school feel. I also love doing the northwest section of Stokes, Rock Oak Criss etc. Check out Trail Forks I added a few good loop options. Even the South end is nice like Maple Leaf trail.
Thanks for doing what you do. Definitely gonna keep coming back, looks like you can throw down a solid day of riding.

SmooveP

Rode Stokes for the 1st time today. It's only 15 minutes from my house, so not sure why I waited this long. I used Matty's Strava as a basic guide, but started from the main entrance lot. Thought I'd go for the whole blue trail. It starts out easy and peaceful, but once you get to the "spike" in my loop where I did an about face, it gets insanely rocky and technical (also uphill). Not long after that, I lost the trail when it dumped out onto the paved road near some campgrounds. I ended up going down Flatbrook Rd towards 206 when I saw a trailhead for the blue trail and jumped back in. Definitely want to go back and find a better loop. It's a nice chunk of pristine woods and you really feel like you're out there when on the trails.

Here's how not to ride Stokes:

SmooveP

I ride here all the time and find it the hidden gem of State Parks. Tie this in with a trek across to High Point or Walpack and you have yourself miles of trails that are not heavily used and give you a backwoods kinda feeling.
Hey Jeff, I just started following you on Strava yesterday. Do you have a favorite loop you can post for Stokes?

mtn

I would suggest not riding through the field between Flatbrook Rd and Shotwell. Super Overgrown and tick laden.

SmooveP

I would suggest not riding through the field between Flatbrook Rd and Shotwell. Super Overgrown and tick laden.
I try to never stop in those kinds of areas. Looks like you can use Silver Mine and Kittle to skip that section?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bam
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/6O5C7JmxIrb

This is clockwise from tunnel lot off flatbrook.
Went back and completed the full blue dot trail.
That was a nice ass kicking even on an ebike. @JimN would be proud.

I see where Pat missed as its bot confusing at the detour you'll see that on my route with a leg on the pavement. Also after that tremendous rock tech climb (black) I made a small goof easy after not being full witted. I think my upper body hurts more then my legs, I'm an old man.

20220716_134426.jpg

Nagys kinda trail
20220716_121445.jpg
20220716_113345.jpg

Top Bottom