Stitches Removal

syncroscat

For those of you that have had stitches, would you ever take them out yourself? I have about a half dozen stitches and I really don't feel like going back to the doctor to get them removed. Is this no big deal? Thanks. :hmmm:

Stitches - no problemo, small scissors is all that's needed.
Staples - every pharmacy should sell skin staple removers.

Yes, remove them yourself... Ive been to the hospital, and have had enough stitches to observe the procedure...... CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! everything must be clean! I cant stress that enough.
If the wound is healed and its that time that you are supposed to be at the hospital/ doctors office having them removed you can remove them yourself.
Wash the area with warm water/soap
Hit area with CLEAN Isopropyl Alcohol (CLEAN rubbing alcohol)
With CLEAN sterilized scissors snip the middle of the sutures from one end to the other.
With CLEAN tweezers pull gently on one end of the suture til it is removed.
DO NOT TRY AND PULL THE KNOT THROUGH YOUR SKIN... IT WILL NOT WORK AND WILL HURT BADLY !
repeat until all sutures are removed.
Clean thoroughly, apply antibiotic cream (Neosporin / Bacitracin)
can bandage, but is probably better to leave exposed,as long as its properly cleaned.

You didnt get this info from me.... :D

If you have any doubts of your ability to do this, go back to the hospital/doctors office and have them do it.
It shouldnt hurt unless there is an underlying infection already present. it feels pretty weird though pulling the sutures out.

for the love of all that is good KEEP EVERYTHING CLEAN!

yeah, i have used fingernail clippers to remove them. just take your time and make sure you get all of the sutures.
take a pic of before and after so we can make sure you did a good job:D

Don't you carry malpractice insurance Johnee? :p

HA! I'm not a doctor, but I sometimes play one on the weekends :D

Seriously though, its super important to keep everything as clean as possible when taking these matters into your own hands... I've seen some really horrible things happen from infections.... ugh!
And the hospital/ doctor will look at you and say "Who are you again?"

Half a dozen stitches dont seem like much, but thats six chances for MRSA or something as equally horrific.

Take good care.

For those of you that have had stitches, would you ever take them out yourself? I have about a half dozen stitches and I really don't feel like going back to the doctor to get them removed. Is this no big deal? Thanks. :hmmm:

Just snip the knot and pull, tug at or bite! As for the cleaning, I say Bah! just wipe off the grease on your jeans and have at it son!

RC ... :popcorn:

Last edited:
Stitches

Dude- Just make sure the wound has sufficiently healed and healed to your satisfaction before you take them out. look to make sure there is no evidence of pus or swelling prior to doing so. If the surgeon did a crap job and the skin didn't approximate well or was infected, and YOU take the stitches out, it's not that easy to go back later (when the Doc should have been there to see the lousy job he did) and say "dude - you messed up".

Get some medical latex free gloves from the drug store for your hands before you start.

I took mine out myself , 6 just below my knee. I snipped and pulled . Had to pick away some dead skin from around 2 of the stitches , but no problem.

My wife yelled at me.... she works at Morristown Memorial ( so does my mom ) .

I figured 30 min travel to the Dr.
30 min waiting room , at least .
10 min in with Dr.
30 min back .

Minimum of 1hr 40 min of time I'll never get back .

A few years ago my dad had a small round pellet sized cyst removed from the tip of his tongue. I think he decided to have it removed because nobody would look him in the eye anymore. I mean, it was impossible to listen to him when this thing would bob and flick around whenever he talked. It was just mesmerizing and left people slack-jawed and stupid looking, kinda like when a guy stares at a girl's chest.

Anyway, I think he had three dissolving stitches, one of which didn't. He had pulled out the remnants of two himself and called me to help him with the third. See, he was a medic in the Navy and knew a thing or two and was dammned if he was going back to the Dr. to get that stitch removed. SO, with a pair of tweezers, standing in the backyard(clean enough for the Navy) for good light, my dad says, "Just grab the end of that thread and pull and don't stop unless I scream."

So, I grab the tweezers(Gross, this is gonna hurt) and grab the thread(eeewww) and start to pull. My dad nods his head and says, "Hellelle." So I pull. "Hellelle-le-le!" (This hurts me more than it does him.) I pull some more(how many times I would have liked to have this much control over him...) and more... eyes bugging out, face twisted, tears welling in his eyes he screams, "HELL-LE-LE-LE-LELLEE!!!" The thread is halfway out but I stop cause he's screaming. I let go and he says, "JUSS PULL, DAMMIT!" So I did. It's been a source of laughter ever since.

Stitches can be fun!

Last edited:
I've always taken them out myself. Not quite the neat freak as Johnny, though. Last removal was 17 across my forehead. Damn things started itching 3 days after they went in so out they came.

I've always taken them out myself. Not quite the neat freak as Johnny, though. Last removal was 17 across my forehead. Damn things started itching 3 days after they went in so out they came.

Mine are itchy too. But I'm going to wait the 10 days. I'll pull them out on Friday. Just spent 2 hours today in the doctor's office for my daughter's cough. No way am I going back for the stitches. I've got doctor appointment fatigue. :drooling:

No wonder Panhead looks like Frankenstein!

I'd let the doctor do it. Just for the record.

yeah, i have used fingernail clippers to remove them. just take your time and make sure you get all of the sutures.
take a pic of before and after so we can make sure you did a good job:D

ditto! finger nail clippers are safe and effective.

No wonder Panhead looks like Frankenstein!

I'd let the doctor do it. Just for the record.

Here is the last one 17 outside, 3 inside. ended up pulling 2 internals out, last one stuck out like a pull starter!

Attachments

• tn[1].jpg
    tn[1].jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 44
Here is the last one 17 outside, 3 inside. ended up pulling 2 internals out, last one stuck out like a pull starter!

Can't get the image to enlarge....but I don't think I see any bolts coming out of your neck. Definately don't look like Frankenstein.

I think I would have gone to the doctor for that Panhead. Did you install the stitches as well? My husband used to do that back in the day. His mother was a taylor so he had some skills. May ask him to remove my stitches.

I don't know how to enlarge it either.
Had a nurse sew it up, she wanted to wait for a plastic surgeon to come, but I didn't. Had a headache for a few weeks from it also.

Back
Top Bottom