Stewart Super Six Pack 2013

Hydration?

How do you guys hydrate on these long rides (Stewart 6, Bearscat 50, etc...)?
And I'm not talking about the post-ride booze fest... Camelback? Bottles? It is easy to refill the Camelback at the aid stations? How much do you drink on a 5 or 6 hour ride? School me!

And I'm not talking about the post-ride booze fest... Camelback? Bottles? It is easy to refill the Camelback at the aid stations? How much do you drink on a 5 or 6 hour ride? School me!

I would prefer bottles, packs are too hot and cumbersome to me. Best to set yourself up with coolers in the feed zone for cold drinks and food. Trust me unless you are battling a top spot you won't be in a hurry to leave your cooler. For most these races are for personal gain. Pack enough water as in one bottle per hour and some for afterwards. Chocolate Milk for afterwards and foods you can stomach...

I did this race last year (my first race). I always wear a camelbak so it didn't bother me despite the oppressive heat/humidity. I drank whatever I needed from the CB along the way and also made sure to drink 1 bottle of Gu Brew per lap (which was roughly 1 hour anyway). At the pit I had cold salted water which I drank between laps. The cold water was my downfall as I'm pretty sure it cramped my stomach.

Doing it again I would salt the water in my CB and leave a plain gallon of water outside my cooler at the pit, so I could drink that between laps (if I felt the need). Cold water would be for refills only, since any liquid I carried became piss warm in no time at all anyway. Hopefully it will be a bit cooler this year. I would bring a lot of a few things that way you can consume based on temperature/how your body is feeling. Just make sure to drink something other than just water.

This was my stash for last year, the bottles had gu powder in them pre-measured so I could just add water as needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the hydration tips guys, love to hear from more of you.

So the CamelBak or bottle refilling is done from one's own stash at the feed zone, not from a hose/keg etc... provided by the organizers?

There will be an aid station setups with water, most likely assorted gu products, and other snacks to keep you going.

In general though, most people rely on their own stash in the feedzone. Everyone has different preferences and tolerances, so its a good idea to figure out what works best for you ahead of time and have that prepared. Most racers will bring a cooler with prefilled bottles or extra bladders/jugs of water to refill their camelbacks. While you can certainly refill at the aid station, in a lap race like this most use it to just grab a quick cup of fluids or snack and make their bigger stops at the feedzone area.

Both times I've done the Six Pack I've brought 2 camelbacks. 1 on me & 1 pre-filled and ready to go. I have a super small pack, and managed to get 20 miles before I was empty (I also carried 1 bottle on my bike). Then I just swapped packs & grabbed a new bottle when I got to the pit, and off I went. This way you don't have to fill the pack every time you come around. Sooner or later you'll have to, but it saved me time and energy.

It's also nice when people around you come over and help you pour water in/hold your stuff while you're trying to cram PB&J's into your mouth :)

I raced with 2 bottles and a camelbak. One of the bottles was reserved strictly for dumping water on my head. It was damn hot. My lady was also there to refill my camelbak and bottles at the aid station, so that helped big time.

532306_10150991183408954_286554304_n_zps0c0bc65f.jpg

Last edited:
I had two water bottles, and refilled them both each time I went to the feed zone. I did have some food with me but when I ate it made me feel like I had rocks in my stomach. Eating and riding do not work for me. I need to figure out something better for the next one!

Have u tried Gu? This works for me without having that feeling like I just ate a brick.
images

Just bottles. I think I had two on me to start which got through the first 2-3 laps and then picked up a bottle or two as needed on the following laps. I think I went through 10-12 bottles total.

Thanks again for the tips. Can. So it sounds like you establish your own little spot with your stash before the race, and its easy to stop there each lap?

Back
Top Bottom