SS Conversion Question

OK experts. I need some advice, and I being sincere and serious with my question.

My first "real" mountain bike was a 98 Specialized Stumpjumper, hardtail. I love that bike. I stripped it a few years ago for some parts to build up a Kona after I sold my FS bike. I still have the frame, headset, stem, handlebars, wheels - in short, nearly a full bike. Not high-end stuff but enough to get me started. I would only need a new set of cranks, brakes, and derailleurs to make it complete again.

But I do not need another multi-gear hardtail. I am thinking of doing an SS conversion on it.

What do I need? I am tempted to buy a SS bike whole and be done with it, but from my research it seems like I need a SS bb and cranks, chain and tensioner, and a new rear wheel built with an SS free hub and I am all set. It appears that I can have all of that for about $450 versus the $900 I might spend for a Mary (and I am not sure I want to go 29er) or Redline AL.

I've read all I can on Sheldon Brown's website and visited a few SS forums but these guys really, really get into sharing knowledge bordering on the esoteric, and it does not make much sense to me.

Phil Wood is a bit out of my price range, but Surly and White Industries seem to have components that fit my budget. Any recommendations and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks, this gives me something to get started.

I have a seatpost and seat, just need brakes also but I can get those anywhere and put them on.

I'll be back with more questions...

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
heythorp- does she really need the SS cranks and BB? did jason (or scott) pick up new cranks and BBs?? i was under the impression that you could just use the existing cranks and BB, pick up a rear cog, a chain tensioner, some spacers and you were good to go. am i top-lining that too much??

FWIW, you could go with a non-29er monocog for like $450.

and, if you decide to convert the hardtail and go with a surly singleator, run it in the push UP position. order the spring and don't even mess with the "down" position. nothing but issues.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
You could go this route:

attachment.php

Works awsome with no problems to report.

If you are interested, I have these cranks for sale:

attachment.php

and, if you decide to convert the hardtail and go with a surly singleator, run it in the push UP position. order the spring and don't even mess with the "down" position. nothing but issues.

sorry, but WTF does that mean....esoteric stuff again. I need my hand held with some of this stuff. I am a smart cookie but until I know what something is/does/means I am a bit lost.

thanks.

You could go this route:

attachment.php

Works awsome with no problems to report.

Is that what a chain tensioner looks like? I was not sure about having a CT hanging on the frame but it is not so bad.

Do you need a specially built frame for an EBB? EBBs eliminate the need for a CT but I am getting the impression you cannot throw them on any old bike...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
OK experts. I need some advice, and I being sincere and serious with my question.

What do I need? I am tempted to buy a SS bike whole and be done with it, but from my research it seems like I need a SS bb and cranks, chain and tensioner, and a new rear wheel built with an SS free hub and I am all set. It appears that I can have all of that for about $450 versus the $900 I might spend for a Mary (and I am not sure I want to go 29er) or Redline AL.
-Any cranks and BB will work; a non-ramped ring (and short chain ring bolts or a bashguard) is all you need to add.
-If you think you're gonna want to stick with the SS thing long-term, a White Industries ENO Eccentric rear hub, built with the rim & spokes of your choice, will give you a much cleaner conversion than any tensioner can provide. If you're still not so sure, save the $ and try a tensioner first. If you use a tensioner, any cassette hub with a non-ramped cog and spacer kit will do the job perfectly well.

I've been running the ENO on my bike for a year now and have zero complaints. And my fancy FS bike is gathering a lot of dust. :D

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Is that what a chain tensioner looks like? I was not sure about having a CT hanging on the frame but it is not so bad.

Do you need a specially built frame for an EBB? EBBs eliminate the need for a CT but I am getting the impression you cannot throw them on any old bike...

The EBB is part of the zion frame. I don't really like their design to be honest. The cranks on the other hand are regular SS crank that can go on any frame.

I personally REALLY like the singleator in the push up position like in my picture. But if money is not an issue, look at a SS rear hub or even a SS specific frame (not zion unless you want to buy mine ;) ).

THanks, heythorp. I am starting to get a clearer picture of what I need to do, and it seems like I can do this relatively inexpensively.

I want the SS purely for fun and tooling around town at the moment. I am not sure I would ever race an SS so I do not see the need to spend tons of cash on one at the moment.

I will be picking up parts over the next few weeks to get started and will let you know how it goes.

One More Thing (isn't there always?): will I need to purchase any special tools to do this work? I have the basics for general bike maintenance and repair, but I built that collection almost by accident - finding out I needed a tool I did not have. It's a frustrating business. So if anyone is aware of any tools I might need before I begin this project, please let me know.

Thanks!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

My first "real" mountain bike was a 98 Specialized Stumpjumper, hardtail. I love that bike. I stripped it a few years ago for some parts to build up a Kona after I sold my FS bike. I still have the frame, headset, stem, handlebars, wheels - in short, nearly a full bike. Not high-end stuff but enough to get me started. I would only need a new set of cranks, brakes, and derailleurs to make it complete again.

But I do not need another multi-gear hardtail. I am thinking of doing an SS conversion on it.

I've read all I can on Sheldon Brown's website and visited a few SS forums but these guys really, really get into sharing knowledge bordering on the esoteric, and it does not make much sense to me.

Phil Wood is a bit out of my price range, but Surly and White Industries seem to have components that fit my budget. Any recommendations and guidance would be appreciated.

First off... YOU have to come take out that Mary demo before you do anything else. If you are like everyone else who has tried it you won't belive how fun that bike is. I now have the 16" size back in stock too (which you will need).

If you want to mess around with your hardtail this is the best bet. (this is what I did for Fred and Chris)

I can reuse you existing rim and lace it into a Eno Rear hub

You can use the same chain if you like. I don't have to do anything else but I would reccomend a non ramped c. ring and a bash ring.

Minimum cost=

Hub $160
Spokes $25
Shimano f/w $20

Build labor $40

total = $245

Not too bad and honestly if you spend the $ on the tensioner you will still want to do this later.

j

Last edited:
Thanks, J.

I know, I have to come in and demo Mary. I will have a few free weeks coming up soon so you'll see me shortly, both for the demo and to try out some new road machines.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Thanks, J.

I know, I have to come in and demo Mary. I will have a few free weeks coming up soon so you'll see me shortly, both for the demo and to try out some new road machines.

20% all in stock 06 Road bikes right now.

Does that conversion seen reasonable??

j

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Hi JGR - I have a conversion SS and use a singulator with no problem. IMO the easiest wat to do SS is just to not shift, but since you are already missing some parts, it looks like you have a full option of things you can do. For a simple thing, it is more complicated than you may think. I had been considering a ss specific bike and after research I decidied I was better with the conversion. I use LX cranks and a surly 32 ring and have the option to use the 22 small ring that came with the cranks. I do need to change the spacers on the cog when changing the chain ring. This option allows me to use any brakes, any wheels, and a quick release, plus your knee is always in the same place over the spindle.

Figuring it out is half the fun. Wait til you try figuring gear ratios. :)

Good luck!
pixy

K

knucklesandwich

You can use any cranks you want- take off all 3 chainrings and replace one of them with an SS specific. You can get a Salsa ring (non ramped or pinned) for like $22.

To do this dirt cheap, you could go:
Nashbar crankset $35
Nashbar BB $10
Salsa ring $22
Cheap SS kit (cog, spacers, tensioner) $20
Talking like $85, and I bet there's people out there who'll find even more ways to shave pennies.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
you actually don't even need a singlespeed chainring. any chainring will work as long as chainline is close enough. i've used ramped/pinned ones before.

more cheapness: find a road bike out for the trash, take it, and steal the cranks. troll the bike shop dumpster, try to find old cassettes. take two appart and you should have enough spacers. or get the right diameter copper, aluminum or pvc mipe from home depot and cut it to size.

the magic gear will save you having to use a tensioner:

http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/index.php

more cheapness: find a road bike out for the trash, take it, and steal the cranks. troll the bike shop dumpster, try to find old cassettes. take two appart and you should have enough spacers. or get the right diameter copper, aluminum or pvc mipe from home depot and cut it to size.

Dumpster diving is for the mentally ill.

Top Bottom