South Mountain

N

njrider

Does anyone know if there are any trail to ride on South Mountain in essex county?, I herd somewhere that it was to re-open to bikers.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
njrider said:
Does anyone know if there are any trail to ride on South Mountain in essex county?, I herd somewhere that it was to re-open to bikers.

There have been talks but SM is still closed to biking at this moment. I'm hoping that this changes in the near future though. :D

N

njrider

Sm

That's to bad, its so close to my house, and its such a big place, can't see why not, going to have to take my bike up there anyways and explore some possiblities.

S

secondspeed

south mountain please dont ride quite yet

njrider said:
That's to bad, its so close to my house, and its such a big place, can't see why not, going to have to take my bike up there anyways and explore some possiblities.

My name is Evan, please dont get upset nothing against you at all. I just have to say read the 117th issue of dirt rag mag. plus be aware that you explore we all again look all bad again!!!(mtbers)... Next that please if you like change the rules then sign up for Trial maintenance day with us www.Jorba.org... One step in right direction... Thank you for time... please keep riding...

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
secondspeed said:
My name is Evan, please dont get upset nothing against you at all. I just have to say read the 117th issue of dirt rag mag. plus be aware that you explore we all again look all bad again!!!(mtbers)... Next that please if you like change the rules then sign up for Trial maintenance day with us www.Jorba.org... One step in right direction... Thank you for time... please keep riding...

I have a post about that issue as well as a scan of the article here:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358

Baccala

Not yet!

I'm a cop in Millburn Township and I have heard nothing about South Mountain reopening to bikes. I will let you all know if I hear anything official. I myself miss the place, I grew up a block away in the Wyoming section of Millburn. My youth was spent riding my Sting Ray and BMX bike in those woods. I bought my first Mountain Bike about 17 years ago and guess where I rode? I have come to realize that we can be our own worst enemies. Soon after the three major Mt Bike magazines listed South Mountain as a place to ride, things there got out of hand. Guys bombing though the woods, chasing blue haired hikers off the trails. The few times I stopped people in my police capacity, to remind them of trail etiquette they looked at me like I had 3 heads. The early riders believed they owned the trails(Surfer Mentality). We lost South Mountain because of that. I always warn my kids "It is easier to stay out of a hole. Then it is to climb out once you fall in." I don't think South Mountain will ever reopen. I hope I am wrong.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Baccala said:
I'm a cop in Millburn Township and I have heard nothing about South Mountain reopening to bikes. I will let you all know if I hear anything official. I myself miss the place, I grew up a block away in the Wyoming section of Millburn. My youth was spent riding my Sting Ray and BMX bike in those woods. I bought my first Mountain Bike about 17 years ago and guess where I rode? I have come to realize that we can be our own worst enemies. Soon after the three major Mt Bike magazines listed South Mountain as a place to ride, things there got out of hand. Guys bombing though the woods, chasing blue haired hikers off the trails. The few times I stopped people in my police capacity, to remind them of trail etiquette they looked at me like I had 3 heads. The early riders believed they owned the trails(Surfer Mentality). We lost South Mountain because of that. I always warn my kids "It is easier to stay out of a hole. Then it is to climb out once you fall in." I don't think South Mountain will ever reopen. I hope I am wrong.

Hey Baccala... cool to hear about the history of South Mountain... I can totally see how that mentality could cause a ruckus with the hiker community. They're already overly sensitive about bikers and if we as bikers go riding around screaming down trails without regard for others conflicts happen. Its just the way things are... and your advice to your kids is something we can all live by.

One thing I want to note is that I do not think this situation is hopeless... as a cop, maybe you would know in fact (and I'd love to hear your thoughts). I heard through the grapevine that there was some vote last year about lifting the bike ban and that it was a split, very close. I assume that this would be county gov't. I also was told that basical South Mountain Conservancy who maintains the park has totally sway and influence over the county. Any knowledge of this? If that's the case, and we as a biking commmunity can convince (I mean this in a serious way not a "hoodwink the hikers way") that mtb'ers are GOOD for parks because we care A LOT about the trails, and that we're not a bunch of of neathertals, that we can change minds there. I know above that you said you've hard nothing, but maybe someone at the county level that you know, knows about some of this?

Chins up everyone, fat lady ain't singing yet!

Last edited:
N

njrider

Not Upset

secondspeed said:

Hello Even,

I know it would be an awful move to just go up there and start riding, I was just a little steamed on the subject. So I went another route and joined a cycling club here in Union NJ, the club is a member of JOBA, IMBA and USA cycling. I believe this is the right path.

There’s one volunteer (we can always use more) in the group who is going to see what he can do via advocacy and networking to get south mountain open again, at the very least I guess he will find out what it will take and then we can all move forward from there.

Believe me when I tell you I do know right from wrong I practically grew up in a Karate school full of Cops in BKLYN NY (20 years of training), the chief instructor was a detective and he was like a second father to me, almost became a Cop myself;

I missed that issue 117, thanks so much for posting the article I have been looking high and low for it.

Not upset.

N

njrider

Yikes

carl said:
I will get yelled at for this post but.. go super early on a saturday or sunday morning and you will be fine :)

how about we all ride where they allow bikes on the paved road, if we do it every sat by the hundreds maybe they will open the trails up to get us off the pavement. we can do it in shifts, I'd like to see the look on the hikers faces then.

back and forth up and down the hill nice and easy loads of us as a demonstration of how civil we all are. helmets and all.

Baccala

Out of sight out of mind

I know that "Out of sight out of mind." is a good thing in this case. I don't have a problem with people riding in the big wooded lot in the corner of Millburn. Luckily the local PDs don't do much enforcement there, so I don't have to get involved. The county PD and Sheriff's Deputies(volunteers) do. I have noticed a large amount of work being done in SMR. I don't know who pushed that though, but it is refreshing to see after so many years of neglect.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Baccala said:
I know that "Out of sight out of mind." is a good thing in this case. I don't have a problem with people riding in the big wooded lot in the corner of Millburn. Luckily the local PDs don't do much enforcement there, so I don't have to get involved. The county PD and Sheriff's Deputies(volunteers) do. I have noticed a large amount of work being done in SMR. I don't know who pushed that though, but it is refreshing to see after so many years of neglect.

Most likely these folks are doing the work you mention above: http://www.somocon.org/TrashCleanup.htm

But mtb'ers are pitching in and hopefully changing minds...

JORBA is trying increase turnout with a visible mtb presence at the SoMoCon events through a fella named Don Schatz. more deatils here: http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47

In case any of you SMR locals want to help this year :D

N

njrider

All kidding aside

This is an issue that needs to be resolved, I will write to the County Executive to see how he feels about the subject, if he/she dose not care its possibly a loosing battle, I suggest you all do the same.

I will reseach the info needed and pass it on. so far I have a link to the County Executives home page, This is a start.

http://www.last-exit.net/essexcounty/index.php?section=essex/ceo#

Last edited by a moderator:
N

njrider

South Mtn Conservancy

South Mtn Conservancy is having their Annual Meeting on Tuesday March 21
7:30 @ Maplewood Memorial Library, 51 Baker St, Maplewood. Open to the
public, be there and be heard.

N

njrider

Meeting

[FONT=Courier, Monospaced]Just got back from the meeting, I will write up a little report and it will be posted on victorycyclingclub.com

But for now, here is what you want to hear, MTB at south mountain is not out of the question in the long term. [/FONT]

NJ Jess

thanks for the update.

I'm looking forward to your report. I so much wanted to get to that meeting. Do they have any new TM scheduled?

Baccala

More

I have talked to some high placed people in the Millburn Government and they are trying to get some better answers for me. An industry rep from Millburn is also doing some research I'll let you all know what I hear.

Top Bottom