South Mountain

N

njrider

Long term

Report not done yet sorry busy last few days, but long term means not out of the question, details to be worked out, ETC.

NJ Jess

South Mountain Clean up day!

Please try to come to this event. Wear a biking shirt, bring your gloves, trash bag, rake, and sense of humor. We really need to show our "manpower." It will promote the idea that mountain riders are willing to help maintain, build, and support the all around use of this park. Mark your calendars, NJ Jess

Dear Fellow Trail Rider:

Our assistance with The South Mountain Conservancy’s Trash Tackler’s effort continues to make BIG and POSITIVE impressions with their members (see www.somocon.org/TrashCleanup.htm for details). Our work was recognized publicly at their Annual Meeting last week.

Let’s keep up the good work and good relations! Please join us:

WHEN: Sunday April 2nd, 2006 from 2:00-3:30 PM … Rain or Shine (Daylight Savings Time…don’t forget to set clocks back Saturday night!)

WHERE: Bramhall Terrace/Summit Field (the parking/picnic area located off the top of South Orange Avenue – Near the access road to Washington Rock) – we will spread out from there

Remember to bring a pair of work gloves and wear something that shows you’re part of the trail riding community (tee shirt, hat, etc).

Please pass this on to anyone else who might want to join us…numbers really matter.

Thanks for your continuing support of our effort to create responsible riding opportunities at South Mountain.

Don Schatz

P.S. Future Clean Up Days are: May 7th and June 11th – Exact time and location to be announced.

N

njrider

South Mountain Conservancy Annual Meeting report.

Recently a meeting was held in Maplewood New Jersey, The South Mountain Conservancy was having their Annual Meeting on Tuesday March 21, 2006 7:30 PM at the Maplewood Memorial Library. The meeting was open to the public so I was excited to see what I could find out about recent renovations, hikes, trash outs, trail maintenance and other assorted plans. Since the meeting was in my hometown it would be an easy journey. My fellow cycling club members thought it would be a good idea for one of us to attend and represent our club.

I arrived at the meeting at 7:30 sharp; the meeting seemed to be in progress already with a presentation running on a big screen. Looking around at the crowd, they seemed to be in the age group fifty years and up with a handful of people under that. Not that that’s a bad thing, these are concerned community members who love the Reservation and want to do what is best for all concerned, I myself a young forty-five year old was joined by a fellow member of our cycling club who is even younger.

There was a young Botanist doing a presentation on invasive plants and the evaluation of invasive plants in the reservation, as you could imagine this is very interesting material and did capture my attention especially when he said it was caused by disturbances on the edge of trails and paths. My first thought was, great more excuses to ban cycling on the trails. I held that though and said nothing, waiting for the right opportunity to chime if need be. The presentation went on and there were discussions on various types of invasive plants running wild in the Reservation and what should be done about it. Soon the presentation was over and the next presenter was up, here is where it gets interesting.

The next presenter was a fellow from PP & E (Professional Planning and engineering) These are the folks who are doing the year long study to create long term plans for trail restoration designs for green acres in South Mountain Reservation. For more information on the funds they have to work with go to http://www.somocon.org, I do not want to bore you with those details.

His presentation starts out nice and friendly, The History Activities and plans for 2006 is the title. He goes on to say a survey of the Reservation has been complete and will be available on disk very soon. A short history of the park is presented, a slide show of trail erosion, vandalisms and dumping in the reservation is presented. The PP & E presenter goes on to say that the County Executive Joe Divincenzo is on board and wants to be known as the man who cleaned up the Essex County Park System, so he is making an effort to make the project a success, showing up on site to get a hands on view of what’s going on is not unusual.

I myself have sent emails to Mr. Divincenzo asking what his opinion was on MTB in the Reservation, I have received no replies as of yet, but this still sounds promising to me.

The presenter goes on to say volunteer efforts by scouts and the like are an enormous help but still not enough, then a slide of cyclist appears and the presenter goes on to say that cyclist and cycling clubs have been the doing the majority of volunteerism in the park. That is when I chimed in and said, yet they are not allowed to ride in the Reservation, why is that?

Heads started spinning, I thought one guys head was going to fall off he turned so fast.

The speaker continued and said the trails where not fit for the type of riding I had in mind, the trails are soft not compact enough. He continued, riding in the reservation is being reconsidered possibly on certain trails but this subject has always opened a Pandora’s Box of question and issues. People are riding in the park now he said, however we do not want the park over run with people from New York City and Brooklyn via NJ transit.

I was thinking people from Brooklyn do not even know about South Mountain, I know people in Parsippany NJ who do not know about South Mountain. No one in his or her right mind from Brooklyn would put their bike on the subway, and then transfer to NJ transit just to get to South Mountain. Being born and raised there, I just get that feeling.

I might do it if I lived in the city close to NJ transit, but even then NJ transit only allows two bikes per train and if a person in a wheelchair gets on the train, the bikers have to get off and wait for the next train. This alone is a pain in its self, with only 14 trains coming into lets say Maplewood station on the weekends from 9:00am to 6:00pm the total amount of bikes would be 28 if there are two bikes on every train. That is not over run by any means in an 8 hour stretch and certainly not likely.

As the presenter continued, he remarked that studies need to be in place, multi use trails are being considered and MTB on South Mountain Reservation is not out of the question.

It was also noted to be the largest turn out this annual meeting has ever had, there had to be fifty people there. If the NJ MTB community starts attending on a regular basis, it should make a difference.

Please do not reproduce this anywhere.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the recap! It takes persistance and patience to change minds that are closed.

Btw, I think your analysis of train schedules is sound, I can't see a flood of NYC'ers biking the park... they have train access to Westchester Co parks now via train and the traffic there is not a problem.

I was speaking to James Barone via email and we're hoping for some help at So Mo this Sunday:

http://www.jorba.org/calendar/calendarApr06.html

If anyone can lend a hand that would be great! Hopefully we can keep the positives flowing...

Last edited:
D

DANSPANK

Do you think I could bring my pooch? He'd love a good run around in the park...

N

njrider

mergs said:
I was speaking to James Barone via email and we're hoping for some help at So Mo this Sunday:

http://www.jorba.org/calendar/calendarApr06.html

If anyone can lend a hand that would be great! Hopefully we can keep the positives flowing...

Hes one of our members in charge of Advocacy who is real hot on the topic, I plan to be there with other members in tow.

what is your name if you don't mind me asking?

N

njrider

Clean up today!

Put my time in at the Clean up today at South Mountain Reservation, met a few nice folks not a real big turn out. Nice day overall. Could have been more organized.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
njrider said:
Put my time in at the Clean up today at South Mountain Reservation, met a few nice folks not a real big turn out. Nice day overall. Could have been more organized.

very cool... i see you've met Don Schatz :D (that's him in picture #2).

the early spring sessions are typically harder to get really big turnouts, and the emails etc. were a little last minute unf. :(

you asked a couple of posts up what my name was... its jeff mergler, aka mergs

we really appreciate you folks turning out last minute for the day!

Last edited:

Judge Smails

Hey, that's me!

Great pics, especially the one's I'm in :D

It was a great day to be out and help put a good foot forward in the effort to get biking back in SoMo. I've lived in Maplewood and So Orange my whole life and have seen it all in SoMo. It was great to hear the accounts of the Conservancy meeting because I think it illustrated the main reason biking is banned - "We don't want people from Brooklyn and NYC flooding into the park." (paraphrase)

For better or worse a lot of people in the towns surrounding SoMo have a very elitist attitude. They have a lot of money and are on the fringes of the urban blight in Irvington and Newark. They view SoMo as their sanctuary and they don't want outsiders reminding them that they are only a stone's throw from NYC.

I grew up riding in SoMo, and while it may not seem possible that people would come from Brooklyn to go to SoMo they would come from all over Eastern NJ and part of NYC. I'm sure most of you have been to Hartshorn and know that a lot of people from Staten Island and NYC ride there. It's a similar situation - SoMo is only about 14 miles from NYC, you could get there door to trail in about a 1/2 hour on a Saturday or Sunday morning (and a lot sooner from other towns in North Eastern NJ).

I don't remember SoMo in the early-mid 90's ever being as crowded as say Hartshorn is on a Saturday morning , but I also don't think that the bikers (myself included) we as conscientious as we are today. No one thought that they would actually close SoMo, it was never a thought. Most of us were younger at the time and full of testosterone (or estrogen). I never had an altercation with a hiker or anyone else on the trail, but it's not that hard to see it happening.

Anyway, here we are many years later and I think that if we got a second chance with SoMo a lot of us would do more to make sure it wasn't taken away again.

N

njrider

keep on keeping on

We will all just have to go with the flow on this one, it will be worth it in the long run. I live 2 miles from SoMo and pass through it every day on my commute to work so it is in my thoughts every day.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
njrider said:
We will all just have to go with the flow on this one, it will be worth it in the long run. I live 2 miles from SoMo and pass through it every day on my commute to work so it is in my thoughts every day.

Nice job on the article in Dirt Rag #121 pg 28. :D

Top Bottom