South Mountain Reservation

kidzach

My guess is this will never happen. It is my understanding (and you can read it on older post's in this thread) JORBA spent many volunteer hours on the trails in good faith. With some form of false hope that maybe, possibly mtbiking might be allowed on some sort of short trial basis. Well that good faith was met with a slap in the face, and this " trial basis " never happened. So JORBA had not much of a choice but to stop fighting a losing battle. I know many of us have e-mailed Joe D, also to no avail. But if anyone needs to start another e-mail campaign or something let me know. Can't hurt to keep trying.

RSAmerica

I've been fighting this for 20 years. Your just going to open a can of worms and wake up the cops. As the saying goes, just leave sleeping dogs Alone!

Last edited:

DSide

I sent a couple of letters each to DiVincenzo and the Essex Co parks guy last summer but got no reply. I would be willing to do so again and more if it seemed like it was going to move the issue along. However, my current plan is to move to Morris Co. Meanwhile, I try to be uber-friendly to any hikers or dog walkers I pass on the trail in SOMO. BTW, love those new "no mountain biking" signs at the trailheads. Think one or several would look great in my garage.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
BTW, love those new "no mountain biking" signs at the trailheads. Think one or several would look great in my garage.

I'm not one to follow rules, but get caught doing this and you will be arrested. Play nice:)

Frank

Sasquatch
I've been fighting this for 20 years. Your just going to open a can of worms and wake up the cops. As the saying goes, just leave sleeping dogs Alone!

For this particular situation, letting sleeping dogs lie may be the best action :(
If the police are not enforcing it........I'm not in anyway stating that we should ride there illegally though.:rolleyes:

I'm not one to follow rules, but get caught doing this and you will be arrested. Play nice:)

I think that remark was mostly tongue in cheek, but if not I agree with you Iggy

My guess is this will never happen. It is my understanding (and you can read it on older post's in this thread) JORBA spent many volunteer hours on the trails in good faith. With some form of false hope that maybe, possibly mtbiking might be allowed on some sort of short trial basis. Well that good faith was met with a slap in the face, and this " trial basis " never happened. So JORBA had not much of a choice but to stop fighting a losing battle. I know many of us have e-mailed Joe D, also to no avail. But if anyone needs to start another e-mail campaign or something let me know. Can't hurt to keep trying.

This post is spot on. Sadly, at some point you just need to back away because you can't bash your head into the wall anymore. My guess is that there is some wealthy property owner (and political supporter) that they don't want to upset. Statistics have show that mtb trails can actually elevate property values for neighboring properties, so I can't understand the reason to ban us. Perhaps it's yet another example of how counties are being strangled by liability and insurance, but my guess is that we will never get the true story. Sorry folks, we gave it a helluva try but we haven't succeeded......yet.

MST.ESQ

"...but my guess is that we will never get the true story.

I have the true story. Money and influence = access to property rights at SOMO. It does not get any simpler than that. That stuff about deer management and environmental plans being needed. Pure BS and Joe's code for "bribe me."

The new county minigolf course (that is crazy expensive btw) and Boathouse restaurant tore up a significant footprint. If that was not bad enough, they just opened a "boat ramp" down the road that ate up more real estate than MTB tires could ever have dreamed of covering.

I rode by the new construction project while on my road bike shortly after the dedication. My apologies in advance to anyone who stepped in human poo on the sidewalk there. If the County Sheriff asks the mods for my personal contact info, give it to them. I dare them to prosecute me.

Frank

Sasquatch
The new county minigolf course (that is crazy expensive btw) and Boathouse restaurant tore up a significant footprint. If that was not bad enough, they just opened a "boat ramp" down the road that ate up more real estate than MTB tires could ever have dreamed of covering.

I rode by the new construction project while on my road bike shortly after the dedication. My apologies in advance to anyone who stepped in human poo on the sidewalk there. If the County Sheriff asks the mods for my personal contact info, give it to them. I dare them to prosecute me.

Well there ya go.....they are keeping the riff-raff outa there

Nice way to express yourself :)

KStwenty1

Keep at it, Shawshank style!;)
The letters that is...not pooing or sign stealing.

Last edited:

Griffo

For this particular situation, letting sleeping dogs lie may be the best action :(.

After getting psyched about trail advocacy here, and subsequent familiarization with the park and the issues/history, I see your point, however defeatist.

Since I am a benefactor of the status quo, I'm hesitant to make any waves unless something changes for the worse, or the local politics change. If they do though, count me in.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Perhaps with yet another distraction on his bad self, now is the time to strike again....We've taken the high road many times in the past, and sadly it hasn't worked out :mad:.....time for a new tactic?.....Critical Mass? :D

HumanVise

Perhaps with yet another distraction on his bad self, now is the time to strike again....We've taken the high road many times in the past, and sadly it hasn't worked out :mad:.....time for a new tactic?.....Critical Mass? :D

Someone could discuss with him that opening the Reservation to MTB could be a very valuable "positive" PR move to counteract the negative repercussions to his dirty dealings. Or Critical Mass wearing "Joe D is a crook" shirts....

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
While he is certainly to blame for not holding to a promise, the situation has not remained the same and there are other challenges to getting access. The SMC continues to recognize our positive contributions, but we no longer have representation on their board. Furthermore, we need to improve our interactions on the trail. We encourage Essex County residents to support the SMC and participate in their efforts.

http://www.somocon.org/

Last edited:

Jase

While he is certainly to blame for not holding to a promise, the situation has not remained the same and there are other challenges to getting access. The SMC continues to recognize our positive contributions, but we no longer have representation on their board. Furthermore, we need to improve our interactions on the trail. We encourage Essex County residents to support the SMC and participate in their efforts.

How can we do this?

bobkennelly

my guess is its never going to open, its been closed since the mid 1990's. I have ridden there on ocassion in the winter, the state of our world today, go ride and dont worry. Hey but what do I know at 56 years old...and I still ride at Watchung too, really, life is really short.

MST.ESQ

New construction

Yes, you read it here first. They are clear-cutting more mid-growth forest further down the road from the new mini-golf course, restaurant and newly minted boat ramp. They installed a wide cement walkway between the road and pond and have 8 pieces of heavy machinery actively clearing out the trees and brush, thus there is no longer any natural barrier between the road and the pond. Yes, the pond where many of the deer and animals from the park drink. So, given that there is a fence and zoo-train on the east side of the pond and now the west side is completely developed, will someone please explain how wildlife is supposed to access this water source? Where is Joe D's environmental impact study for this. Pure BS.

Does anyone have the ability to make metal road signs? I would love to create one calling out County government for destroying this properly for commercial financial gain with no consideration to environmental impact or citizen enjoyment and usage. If the sign is pro-looking I bet it would last 3 months before the idiots realize it does not belong there.

Top Bottom