Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Some new trees down and some widow-makers from the wind yesterday.
locations are the photos on the map
I also found 2 broken boardwalk boards we missed on TM day on the C Climb trail.
Trees reported, thanks! Knew about the C Climb boards. Neither group got that far Saturday. Will see if Ranger can drive the wood in from the emergency access at the bottom of that trail.

Last edited:

jklett

Oh yeah, by the way: if you plan on bombing the pipeline air up a little. This was the front, I was wondering why it was digging so hard!

Attachments

• 20221124_134933.jpg
    20221124_134933.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 99

JPark

There is a tree down on the Bouldering Area trail at the bottom of the big rock roll. Probably 2 or 3 people could move it instead of cutting.
20221202_113901.jpg

Went yesterday, the outer trail was a little soggy, but not bad. Careful on the boardwalks and bridges, they get slick a f ☠️. It’s dry up top.

phillychris498

There is a tree down on the Bouldering Area trail at the bottom of the big rock roll. Probably 2 or 3 people could move it instead of cutting.
View attachment 201439
Good to know about this. I’m gonna ride Sourlands at least once while I’m back in NJ over the holidays. I normally descend the connector and down that rock roll pretty quick without scouting it, and would have needed to be fast on my feet to get over this tree…

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
View attachment 201439
Rangers got the ones on lower trail 2 by the rock wall. @snashters would you mind getting this one since it's "off trail"? Looks hand saw-able and i know you have time on your hands :) If not, i can get it next time i'm down but not sure when that will be.

rick81721

Lothar
Good to know about this. I’m gonna ride Sourlands at least once while I’m back in NJ over the holidays. I normally descend the connector and down that rock roll pretty quick without scouting it, and would have needed to be fast on my feet to get over this tree…

I gotta get back there over the next 3 weeks too

snashters

Rangers got the ones on lower trail 2 by the rock wall. @snashters would you mind getting this one since it's "off trail"? Looks hand saw-able and i know you have time on your hands :) If not, i can get it next time i'm down but not sure when that will be.
I saw that one, it looked quite big, not sure if my saw is up to the task.

This "off-trail" one is higher up my to-do list at the moment :
1670801241089.png

snashters

yeah - that needs to go
a little bit of mess there too with the other tree
I was only going to cut out the one that is bridging across the 2 rocks. I don't fancy touching the rotten one that is still standing, hoping the wind will take care of that.

JPark

The off-trail tree is completely severed from it's stump. I think it could be dragged by 2 or 3 people. I'm available this week if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

JPark

Tree down on Chunky Monkey. It's a section i can actually clear so its important that it's removed :)
Closer to the pipeline part of the trail.

20221214_114648.jpg

Last edited:

snashters

Tree down on Chunky Monkey. It's a section i can actually clear so its important that it's removed :)
Closer to the pipeline part of the trail.

View attachment 202297
Give it a go. The line is over that long rock & I rolled that tree when it first fell so that it is close to the ground in front of the rock, it's not so different to riding the rock.

JPark

There is a tree down on Riverbed Connector entrance from the pipeline.
There are 2 trees down on Lower Trail 2 on the section of boardwalk farthest from the pipeline (of course)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions