Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rlb

Rode in the Forbidden Forest today. There was a mountain and it was not north. . .
It was a tough go, even with the Fat Bike. There were about 10" of powdery snow. I was able to go about 100 yards at a time before spinning out. Wound up finding some XC ski tracks that made it a little more palatable.

Looks like it was a good time either way! If this is the forbidden forest I think it is (based on your locale) I've always thought about partaking. I've only ridden my road bike through it.

goodvibe

It is very good, and in Essex County. With the new extension, it has about 20 miles of trails. Let me know if you would like to go through.

rlb

Ok I was thinking of the one like 2 miles south of there next to my town (Springfield). I'll likely hit you up once the snow melts :D

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hubris. Tried the tourne. I unloaded the bike cocky as hell, mounted up, and charged the snow bank. 30 feet later I was flailing around trying to stay upright. :D Not good! Ended up across the street at the flatter river access section. If I kept bolt upright and maintained some momentum it was doable but tricky, and I had pedals in the snow every rotation. Took a ride up to Mahlon as the snow looked a little less, but same thing. We coud use a snowmobile or something to pack it down a little. Heresy!
Interestingly, if I followed my own tracks it was easier to pedal but really hard to stay on track. We need a squadron of fatbikes in formation!

2013-02-09152030_zpsc5a3e1b8.jpg

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Anyone interested in Allaire tomorrow? Allaire forum says 4-6 " fell, and fair amount of foot/bike traffic today.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Anyone interested in Allaire tomorrow? Allaire forum says 4-6 " fell, and fair amount of foot/bike traffic today.

I would, but I have to be out of the woods no later than 9am OR starting the ride about 2.

PM me if you like. I am up very early (early to bed early to rise)

PS...no fat bike. Skinny 26er LOL

Last edited:

goodvibe

I would be interested in checking that one out. I was road riding there and met a guy coming out of the woods and he said he would show me around, but didn't have the opportunity to call him. I know folks ride there and would also love to check it out, but when going to a place with restrictions, I would rather go with a guide the first time.

From what I understand, there is a Wednesday night ride that leaves from the McDonald's on 22

Ok I was thinking of the one like 2 miles south of there next to my town (Springfield). I'll likely hit you up once the snow melts :D

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Staying Local

Turns out I have an appt with the family at 1, so I'm going to stay local rather than Allaire.

I went down the hill from me late this afternoon to check out Loantaka Park. This is the place I go to when every other place is socked in, since it gets a lot of Morristown's local foot traffic. While it's not usually worth a drive there in normal conditions, in the snow I've always had good luck there.

As of this evening, there are some nice, firm ribbons of hardpack from foot traffic and XC skis. Much of it is now essentially a "trench" about a 18" wide...probably 4 miles worth each way, good enough for an 8 mile spin. Note: no "XC-double tracks" any more as foot traffic has trampled them in.

I plan to clicking in at 9:00 am, riding till about 12. If need be, I'll ride a few sections twice to get some mileage in.

If you're interested in joining me, post up or PM me.

Blk06CompIRL

Hubris. Tried the tourne. I unloaded the bike cocky as hell, mounted up, and charged the snow bank. 30 feet later I was flailing around trying to stay upright. :D Not good! Ended up across the street at the flatter river access section. If I kept bolt upright and maintained some momentum it was doable but tricky, and I had pedals in the snow every rotation. Took a ride up to Mahlon as the snow looked a little less, but same thing. We coud use a snowmobile or something to pack it down a little. Heresy!
Interestingly, if I followed my own tracks it was easier to pedal but really hard to stay on track. We need a squadron of fatbikes in formation!

suuuuure the one time i dont join you and you have trouble riding lol :p

gtluke

The Moped
Lew Mo still too deep, patriots path was a better route but not great, but getting better after 11am
Snow is just too slick and deep

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Loantaka is great on a fat bike as long as you don't have a flat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

bighit

The rock is just fine. Blue is a bit slippery because the sun hasn't made it through yet. White is a little wetter and there are a lot of foot prints. Didnt try red but heard it was better than blue due to foot traffic down low.
Blue
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360526620.233964.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360526663.948376.jpg

White
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360526687.601366.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
6-Mile was good if you rode where no one was yet. Following ski tracks wasn't that fun, the bike was all over the place. But, tomorrow it'll all be mud anyways so it doesn't really matter :eek:

-Jim.

rlb

The rock is just fine. Blue is a bit slippery because the sun hasn't made it through yet. White is a little wetter and there are a lot of foot prints. Didnt try red but heard it was better than blue due to foot traffic down low

I suffered through blue on my skinny tires. Flat and downhills were no problem of course! Should have done a second loop around red but still had a blast!

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Loantaka Report

Loantaka was great today and this fatbike thing continues to blow me away. This was the deepest I'd ridden by far. One one hand, it wasn't as packed as I had judged from the trail heads. Some narrow foot/XC/snowshoe traffic had indeed packed some sections with a semi-firm rideable base, but to the sides was lumpy/bumpy powder, all booted up and loose, about 6" deep from the top of the boot prints to the top of the surrounding snow. If I had my regular MTB, I would have absolutely had to turn around.

On the other hand, the wide tires and flotation kept traction solid in the tracks, and any time I wandered into the soft and deep stuff on the sides, the bike just motored on as long as I had the legs. I swear this thing was a tank in a prior life. No question it was a workout and required a fair amount of concentration to steer straight, but I rode 99% of the terrain (about 11 miles worth) with no problem other than a lot of effort (felt like 30 miles at Allamuchy). Toughest was making sharp turns into trail heads...any amount of angle on the tires and the bike swept out from underneath.

Got a lot of smiles and bewildered looks from the local dog walkers, hikers, XC skiers. I swear some of them had this "why-am-I-out-here-on-these-skinny-2-plank-things-when-could-be-on-one-of-those" look in their eyes.;) I did my best to stay out of their tracks...it was more work, but they only get to XC ski a few times a year. Suprisingly though, the Nates did little to tear up their tracks.

If you live near Morristown, I highly recommend this place when snowfall is deep. There's a lot of foot traffic, particularly in the North area since it's surrounded by housing.

Here are some pics.

This gives you a bit of a sense of the conditions with the tire for some perspective.
P2100020_zps19b7c2fa.jpg

If you look just left of the center of the picture, you'll see a shadow from a tree that makes a right angle from the snow up the "wall" of my track. It was pretty deep in most spots.

P2100019_zpse3b0cd82.jpg

Right hand shows how booted up the sides of the tracks were. And this wasn't the worst of it
P2100022_zps85cd5fd6.jpg

rlb

The rock is just fine. Blue is a bit slippery because the sun hasn't made it through yet. White is a little wetter and there are a lot of foot prints. Didnt try red but heard it was better than blue due to foot traffic down low.

Were you the dude in the camo/driving the honda?

Top Bottom