Skinsuit controversey

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Tracy Mosley won the Fort William World Cup DH today but there's controversy apparently because she wore a skinsuit in the final. I understand downhillers don't want to wear them because they look goofy and don't represent the sport well, but if it's a perfectly legal adjustment, how can it be controversial? Is there some unwritten code amongst WC DHers that they aren't wearing them?

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Tracy Mosley won the Fort William World Cup DH today but there's controversy apparently because she wore a skinsuit in the final.

It's not a real controversy, it's a fake controversy fostered by the same small subset of racers who object to skinsuits for fashion reasons. Most top level racers don't care that much- they just want to win. And on an extremely windy course like that, it could offer a significant advantage.

Ask yourself- would Tracy Moseley's sponsors rather she wear moto gear and place second, or a skinsuit and place first?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ask yourself- would Tracy Moseley's sponsors rather she wear moto gear and place second, or a skinsuit and place first?

the answer is, it doesn't matter as long as it generates lots of PR. i though you were an ad guy j...sheesh. :D

pinkshirtphotos

downhill is all about fashion, if your not in it to win it GET OUT. I have been rocking the skin suit under my baggys for 2 years riding dh. I have the best of both worlds. (i dont ride much dh anymore its all throttle twisting now)

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
skinsuit.jpg

did someone say skin suit?

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think the women racers should be required to wear full body skinsuits and the men, only baggies....

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
It's not a real controversy, it's a fake controversy fostered by the same small subset of racers who object to skinsuits for fashion reasons. Most top level racers don't care that much- they just want to win.

thanks jamie, thats what i thought. though with only the world championships having a predominantly skinsuit-wearing field, it's clearly not that small a subset. it seems nearly every racer plays the fashion card except when their country tells them not to or in rare occasions such as this.

lots of debate on the subject starting here:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203400&page=25

"One of the blow job boys"
-Matthias about the Mojo skinsuit racer. =)

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
Yeah, I've heard all the back story before, and this skinsuit argument comes up every year at World Champs time when the national federations require the racers to wear them. A lot of the racers like the moto style more than the ski style, which is fair enough, but asking another racer not to use a legal advantage just because you want to look better going down the hill is pretty lame. There's no other sport in the world where results are decided by tenths or hundredths of a second that *doesn't* use skinsuits and value aerodynamics. And somehow, wearing skinsuits hasn't resulted in Bode Miller or any of America's top runners (sprinters) from locking down lucrative endorsement contracts. Some racers erroneously think that it's fashion that's keeping sponsors away from DH, when the issues are really much, much larger than that...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
was she clipped in or riding flats?

And that's another ridiculous argument that Dirt Magazine single-handedly wants to push. They see a DH racer riding flats and they make a point of it and say its the only way to ride DH. And when Barrel or Gracia say how they prefer clips they just pretend they didn't hear that and move onward. Meanwhile doesn't their beloved Peaty even rock mallets?
Sean - No idea but given she's British I'll go out on a limb and bet flats.

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
doesn't their beloved Peaty even rock mallets?

Yes, although Peat did use flats for Champery last year because of the conditions. Minaar is on clipless, too. Hill is one of the only top racers who sticks to flats. And Kovarik.

Weird agendas pushed by the bike press over there, but they're nuts, so that's to be expected. ;)

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
There are other options for a skinsuit rather than the ones worn by team Mojo, they were staight up gay.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
nobody had a hissyfit when tomac and rockwell started winning with skinsuits on.

There is an age-old debate as to weather or not that era led to the less than great reception of DH by fans, sponsors, and media. For example: Would a class fillled with riders all decked in skinsuits appeal to the bmx tight pants crowd or the execs at Monster? Prob not, although the tight pants thing is gay as well.

IDK, I am confusing myself, sorry if this dosnt read to good.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
There is an age-old debate as to weather or not that era led to the less than great reception of DH by fans, sponsors, and media. For example: Would a class fillled with riders all decked in skinsuits appeal to the bmx tight pants crowd or the execs at Monster? Prob not, although the tight pants thing is gay as well.

IDK, I am confusing myself, sorry if this dosnt read to good.

yeah but when those guys started wearing skinsuits is when the bmx crowd was wearing big-ass baggy pants and now that DH went baggie, bmx went tight. wtf!!!!

Top Bottom