Single Speed frame thoughts

BLH2

Shop: Eurocycle
Shop Keep
I am looking to build my first SS. Do you guys think that a KHS dj frame would make a good single speed frame? I am on the heavier side 215lbs so I would like something a little beefy. I originally was thinking of a Zion, but it seems they have to much flex. What are your thoughts?

heythorp

I am looking to build my first SS. Do you guys think that a KHS dj frame would make a good single speed frame? I am on the heavier side 215lbs so I would like something a little beefy. I originally was thinking of a Zion, but it seems they have to much flex. What are your thoughts?

OK this thread is loaded. I know your new but you really are coming to the board at a crazy time.

Check on some really good info about SS frames here.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1240

Well since your a clyde (sorry jake he is making it too easy )
You should talk to Jake. He is I think 225, an ex power lifter and brakes lots of bike parts. He likes to try and compare how hard he is on a bike to how hard Maurice is on one (sorry Jake but that one slayed me). Jake also likes to talk about which bike to buy. He says he bought a Mary but I will believe it when i see it. Which even if he did buy it, you would still have to get him on the trail which his wife wont let him do any more.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK this thread is loaded. I know your new but you really are coming to the board at a crazy time.

You should talk to Jake. He is I think 225, an ex power lifter and brakes lots of bike parts. He likes to try and compare how hard he is on a bike to how hard Maurice is on one (sorry Jake but that one slayed me). Jake also likes to talk about which bike to buy. He says he bought a Mary but I will believe it when i see it. Which even if he did buy it, you would still have to get him on the trail which his wife wont let him do any more.

good god...now you're pulling softballs from other people's threads, attaching my name to them and smacking them outta the park? looks like its another day for me to stay low to the ground and behind cover.

but...
i did buy a mary. the zion will flex. jason, the superest of super moderators and the creator of our our little corner of the e-universe had a zion. i stress had b/c it DID flex too much. your best and probably cheapest bet would be to surf ebay or you LBS for a left over steel or alum. frame, pick up a rennen chain tensioner and go from there.

Shaggz

A strong 7

you forgot to mention that jake also worked for uncle adolph, and got paid to drink copious amounts of beer and stumble down the streets of boston wearing a duff man uniform. but i digress. Seriously, talk to jake - he has been doing a looooooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttttttttttt of research on this. there is also a clydes forum on mtbr which might have some good info, too.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's

you forgot to mention that jake also worked for uncle adolph, and got paid to drink copious amounts of beer and stumble down the streets of boston wearing a duff man uniform. but i digress. Seriously, talk to jake - he has been doing a looooooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttttttttttt of research on this. there is also a clydes forum on mtbr which might have some good info, too.

oh my. i feel like i'm in one of the those southwest commercials. i need to get away!

one more thing- i never wore a duff man suit.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
jake - what about a bianchi SASS?

loved it. if i was looking at a 26" bike, that would've been it. i didn't beat the hell outta heythorps, but i rode it and it held up just fine. very well spec'd, and i even like the WTBs that were on it...same tires that're on the mary.

the SASS would be top three on my list of great, affordable single speed bikes. it's tough to beat it on value.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ok, i'm stupid.
:confused:

anyway, i looked at the fetish frames and reviews swing back and forth. some people love them, some people think they're garbage. it all seems to be how well the welds are laid on any given day.

I was thinking he want to do this on the cheap though he didn't state that. I knew a guy who had 1 & he was pretty happy with it. Usually you get what u pay for. Lots of choices just depends on what he wants to spend.

BLH2

Shop Keep
ss

I would like to try to keep it fairly cheap. What would be the benefit of a 29er? Thanks for the info.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
:confused:
I was thinking he want to do this on the cheap though he didn't state that. I knew a guy who had 1 & he was pretty happy with it. Usually you get what u pay for. Lots of choices just depends on what he wants to spend.

sorry kirt- couple of things going on here.
1. i'm getting abused by the other mods today so i was referring to the fact that i'm stupid for staying here.
2. i don't have any personal experience with those guys at all. i was just giving my opinion on what i've read on them. i'm sure you'll find people that have positive and negative experiences with them.

BLH2

Shop Keep
I currently ride a Santa Cruz Chameleon and Heckler. I ride mostly Allaire,Clayton and Hartshorne. Thanks for all the info guys, great forum..

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would like to try to keep it fairly cheap. What would be the benefit of a 29er? Thanks for the info.

this also relative. are you talking $500 or $1,500?

one thing i will say is, if you are looking to get into SS AND 29ers cheap, you really can't go even a little bit wrong with the redline monocog. in all honesty, that bike was my first choice until i found the mary. avails were really tough for awhile and i haven't checked in quite sometime.

anyway, i think it's around $500 or so for the flight. that's full rigid.

as for the differences, well, the 29er rolls WAY faster, suck up the little bumps better and corner amazingly well. the negatives: there is slightly less overall rim strength and you may experience vertigo. i did the first time i rode one but that went away REAL quick when i got in the woods.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I currently ride a Santa Cruz Chameleon and Heckler. I ride mostly Allaire,Clayton and Hartshorne. Thanks for all the info guys, great forum..

LOTS of people convert chameleons to single speeds! that bike was actually on my list of possibilities but i couldn't fathom buying a perfectly good geared bike just to strip it apart. i also really wanted a 29er SS

Maurice

There's your solution right there, it seems. Doesn't the Chameleon have horizontal dropouts? All you need is a few spacers, possibly a non-ramped cog. IMO a bike with a tensioner is ugly at best.

Then if you really like it you can go full-bling, 29, 24 etc.

Good luck,

Maurice

Shaggz

A strong 7

are you near halter's bike shop? jdog, one of the more regular posters on this board, owns the shop, and seems very knowledgeable in the ss and 29 arena. i believe he has test bikes that you can use, too. it seems like the haro mary ss (same bike jake supposedly just purchased) is very popular with the folks down there. The ss rigid retails for around $925.

Top Bottom