Single Speed frame thoughts

J-Dro

As a matter of fact, I'm picking up jdog's Mary demo bike tonight to check it out. Will be my 1st 29er experience.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As a matter of fact, I'm picking up jdog's Mary demo bike tonight to check it out. Will be my 1st 29er experience.

<in darth vader voice> your transition to the dark side will soon be complete!
muuhhhahahahahahahaahaa!

BLH2

Shop: Eurocycle
Shop Keep
I really like the Redline. Would it be stupid to put a Manitou Sherman on the Redline? I have the fork laying around and since the Redline is rigid...

heythorp

put on it what you have, if it doesnt work then change it. the nice thing about SS is it can be really cheap to start. most really like it, i might be selling my SASS if you are interested. It has a shock on the front but i have the rigid fork too.

size is a 17.5

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
are you near halter's bike shop? jdog, one of the more regular posters on this board, owns the shop, and seems very knowledgeable in the ss and 29 arena. i believe he has test bikes that you can use, too. it seems like the haro mary ss (same bike jake supposedly just purchased) is very popular with the folks down there. The ss rigid retails for around $925.

nope.

$849..

Less 10% to regulars on this site.

j

BLH2

Shop Keep
any thoughts on the Haro Mary or Gt Peace, just trying to explore all my options before making a decision.

jdog

Shop Keep
any thoughts on the Haro Mary or Gt Peace, just trying to explore all my options before making a decision.

For god's sake.. Anything but a GT. :puke:

PLEASE don't support Pacific, they are the antichrist.

jdog

Shop Keep
I really like the Redline. Would it be stupid to put a Manitou Sherman on the Redline? I have the fork laying around and since the Redline is rigid...

I would bet that If you rode the 26" and the 29" back to back you would never go with the 26"..

29 and SS go hand and hand.

really.

j

walter

Fourth Party
Guess I'll chime in...

I bought my Haro Mary from jdog in the beginning of september, first 29er, fourth ss. My first three ss were aluminum, front suspended 26ers. The steel, rigid 29er is buy far the most fun, comfortable, most trail friendly bike out of the four.

The larger wheels smooth out the trails, rolling over stuff that would normally create some jolts like on a 26er. The steel frame is an absolute joy to ride after aluminum. I dont know how much time you have on your chameleon, but I owned one for a bit, and it has got to be the stiffest, most bone jarring ride out there.

My vote sways toward the 29er, whichever is in your budget. By the way BLH2, you werent the guy at allaire I was riding with about a month ago, you snapped your chain on the heckler, had to walk out with your buddy?

walter

BLH2

Shop Keep
No Walter that was not me in Allaire with the broken chain, I have been riding my Chameleon for the past few months. I love the way my Chameleon rides, but I do agree it is a bit rough. I would prefer a steel 29er but would go Alum. I use to ride a Voodoo that was steel, I miss the hell out of the bike, 1 of my favorites. Walter does jdog have a shop or was it a private sale?

walter

Fourth Party
Jdog is the owner of Halters cycles in South Brunswick, right on rt 1. He has Haro Marys on the floor and I believe still has one in his demo fleet. Great guy, he posts here reguarly. At the time, I was in between bikes and I stopped in looking for a beater bike just to have until I decided what I really wanted to buy. We got to talking, ss came up, he asked me if I saw the Mary, I took the 20 in. out for a ride. I told him it felt a bit big, he said he had an 18 in. in a box, I came back on Monday, took that for a ride, a few adjustments later and my wife was yelling at me for bringing home another bike. Contact him here or at his shop, Im sure he can help.

walter

BLH2

Shop Keep
Thanks Walter, I will give them a call tomorrow.

How about the Azonic Steelhead frame? It has Horiz drop outs, its steel and frames are dirt cheap?

walter

Fourth Party
I have no exp. w/ Azonic, so I cant comment, however, you are right, they are quite cheap. One of the reasons why I didnt like my chameleon, other than the teeth rattling ride, was the horizontal dropouts. I like trying different tires for different riding spots, and with the horizontal dropouts on the chameleon, I could never get the wheel straight enough were my discs wouldnt rub. I admit I dont have the least bit of mechanical ability, but it bothered me alot.

At the same time I owned a Cannondale 1fg with an ebb and vertical dropouts, and it was never a problem. When I saw the mary came with discs and an ebb, and the mc with v brakes and horizontals, it was a no brainer for me.

walter

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
like just about everyone else that rides mary, i fell in love with her too. :D

BUT, the bike is, even with the jdog friends & family discount, almost twice the price of the redline monocog. for about $200 more than some of the frames you've mentioned, you could have a complete redline monocog. just to figure out if you are really going to like the experience, you really can't go wrong.

i'm not trying to sway you from the mary at all, just giving you hard facts. but if you are near jdog's shop, go ride mary.

jdog

Shop Keep
Why not??

what is wrong with GT???

GT used to be great. I was one of the biggest dealers on the east coast.

They basically blew it financially and after a big mess they are now owned by Pacific.

Yes, that same Pacific that you see at Wal-Mart.

These guys don't see to care about people or bikes.. Just money.

I tried to deal with them for a bit but they were so short staffed and short sighted that I had to cut them out of my life.

It was really hard to do since I had spent nearly 10 years building the brand.

Some of the good guys who left GT went to Giant and I started dealing with them instead. Some folks Poo-Poo Giant but they are indeed bike people.

Best of luck with your search.

j

Last edited:
Top Bottom