Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

So I got a few more X rays tonight from the film library.....started doing some research. Usually when you are getting bones put back together in an emergency...you don't usually the full run down. Like I asked the surgeon, but he really only told me a few general things before hand....and after I was too out of it.

So heres the new erector set....I saw on the list that there were two plates...maybe that just means this one strip is two plates, not sure....I also saw on a list he used 10 screws...but I only count 8...maybe he dropped a couple?

Anyway, what im dying to find out is why does this take 12 weeks of ZERO weight bearing to heal? As in my foot does not touch the ground for 12 weeks....Im not arguing with experts, but im an engineer and I must understand.

View attachment 204607

View attachment 204608

So looking this over I know that this is called a medial malleolus fracture
View attachment 204609

So I sent these over to Ashley along with the pre-op xrays to try to get a better understanding of what I did and why it takes so long to fix......so as Ash put it to me:
You broke 2 bones, completely sheared off the syndesmosis (The syndesmosis is a connective tissue that holds your fibula and tibia together) that holds your ankle together, tore a shit to of ligaments I think 12 weeks is a pretty good estimate.

So I guess I did a number on all of this stuff
View attachment 204610

Anyway....as much as i love our medical system....I mean I do long for the Luke Skywalker has a new hand in 60 seconds fix as an engineer. But is what it is....

So we'll have to see what he'll let me do moving forward.
Did that one screw miss the hole?!?!

BTW, I was never a big fan of those trampoline, after being done jumping up and down on one of those things I feel like I weight 100Kg...wait, but I do!

Last edited:
not sure whats going on there....maybe he was just firing screws in....

So i was able to find this...this is what they installed. Maybe @Magic s wife can tell me what the actual material is that all of this is made from? Im guessing titanium, but not sure.

1673453123349.png

1673453237785.png

Attachments

• variax-2-dist-fib-and-third-tub-plate-optech.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 126

BTW, I was never a big fan of those trampoline, after being done jumping up and down on one of those things I feel like I weight 100Kg...wait, but I do!
ok so looking at this picture that random screw makes more sense now....I think they put a screw in there first to hold the broken piece of the fibula and line it up...then the plate goes on the outside
1673454029058.png

What are you looking for upgrades on your leg already? I wish that Cyberdyne Systems would get their ass in gear already so we can get some terminator cyborg legs!

Oh shit just happened to catch this thread for the first time and seeing you shattered your ankle ouch!

And I was complaining about my fractured finger last month. Sheesh.

Clearly you have experience breaking bones I’m sure you will come back stronger. And if not you will still be able to ride a MTB better then me which is a pretty low bar.

Heal fast dude.

So i was able to find this...this is what they installed. Maybe @Magic s wife can tell me what the actual material is that all of this is made from? Im guessing titanium, but not sure.

We make the screws and plates for Stryker. Those plates are pure Ti, the screws are alloy Ti6Al4V.
We also make 304 and 316 stainless screws and plates for their other fixation systems.

I think most of the IM nails are still stainless.

I think most of the IM nails are still stainless.
I know I looked up the rod in my leg....Smith and Nephew Trigen Knee nail and its Ti6AI-4V The screw in my hand is stainless tho.

Funny how none of it ever sets off an airport metal detector....not once since 2006...and that rod is 10mm dia, and 34cm long.

I know I looked up the rod in my leg....Smith and Nephew Trigen Knee nail and its Ti6AI-4V The screw in my hand is stainless tho.

Funny how none of it ever sets off an airport metal detector....not once since 2006...and that rod is 10mm dia, and 34cm long.
Ti isn't magnetic, so the 100% pure Ti stuff inside of you won't set off a metal detector.

LOL mine is stainless so the full body scanner picks it right up- then I get pulled over to the handheld wand to make sure I can't pull the trigger on it.

Ti isn't magnetic, so the 100% pure Ti stuff inside of you won't set off a metal detector.
I know, but to me... You would think that I wouldn't be able to bring a titanium weapon onto an airplane....That said the new body scanners use millimeter wave, so they can pick up your implants...however, im sure they see what they are, so they just dont pull you aside for them. But not every airport is using body scanners.

I know, but to me... You would think that I wouldn't be able to bring a titanium weapon onto an airplane....That said the new body scanners use millimeter wave, so they can pick up your implants...however, im sure they see what they are, so they just dont pull you aside for them. But not every airport is using body scanners.
They ALWAYS pull me aside and wand my lower right leg. I’ve taken to wearing shorts if at all possible at checkin ‘cause it’s instantly obvious I’m not carrying.

Back
Top Bottom