Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Highland/Kingdom trip

So back in January I received a text from @jdog about the Highland kids camp....so I looked into it...3 full days of camp/instructions/riding with other kids at highland...Sounded really awesome to me....Bonus...several other dads who I knew were going with their kids...So while the kids would be riding, we could also ride. I jumped on this immediately and got bob signed up.

Fast forward 6 months and the trip was finally upon us....Robert has progressed alot this year and its been really awesome to watch him go from not jumping anything at Rays in the winter, to being able to jump the tabletops on Deviant at creek. But more important to me is that he can really do a bike ride now. Im not taking him to wildcat yet, but he can ride with me at Dickerson, or the tourne, lewis morris, 6 mile, Nassau, etc. I love that he will ride the red trail at the tourne...mess up an uphill rocky section...get pissed off....get off his bike and DEMAND to do again until he cleans it....cracks me up.

Drove up to Gilford New Hamshire last Sunday and met up with @ArmyOfNone and his two boys who are 8 and 10....@jdog and his wife and daughter, Marc and his daughter, as well as Frank, sarah and their son Johnny....so in 1 room is was the 3 boys (2 nights it was 4 boys) in 1 room and the two girls....The boys have so much energy and feed off each other...I love bob...but when I watch my son vs J's 10 year old daughter...its like watching a fully grown adult women vs a Reese's monkey. Its like all ability to function goes out the window once they are together amping each other up. I think they were up til like midnight the first night.

So we get to camp Monday and get them signed in...we were on time, kids were signed in, ready, etc....They went over to Highlands indoors bike park and within a few minutes the kids were getting silly.

1659366427378.png

Class started, we sent the kids off then got ready for our day of riding.

On Monday it was Myself, Fred, Jdog, Jesse (from Martys) Frank, Marc, Ben and Bo....We really had a great time. Did a few warm up laps on the "cats" trails....hit NE style and hellion a number of times....some really fun trails at that park. While steep table tops (like on hellion) are something im really bad at....I do like hitting them and trying to get a little better at them. Its something ill never be "good" at bc quite frankly I have way too much L.O.F.T. when it comes to going high in the air. :) Plus I dont practice very often, because practice makes perfect eventually crash and fuck yourself up which im not really interested in. But its ok, I go to the DH park, ride within my limits and I have fun....I hadnt ridden with Fred in a long time...and really, I might have only ever done a few rides with J over the years....so it was great hanging with them. One funny nugget happened when we got off the lift....we ran into one of the camp groups...id say young teen boys...Their instructor was this guy...https://www.instagram.com/fick_nix/ So Bo asked these boys "ok, whats one thing you can tell me about your instructor?" In stereo: HE CAN DO A DOUBLE BACK FLIP!!!! lol...We ran into many kids thruout the day who sending very large things that I sure as hell wouldnt.....it was fun to ride that chairlift and just watch. We did lap after lap...saw the kids here and there....finally met back up in the afternoon....did some swimming at lake lake winnipesaukee. Dinner, hanging out, bed....
1659374168664.png

1659374133360.png

Rinse/repeat the next day. Little more/bigger jumps...hit a few rocky/tech trails which id say is more my speed if im at a DH park....but that said, when I do actually go to a DH park, I like to work on what im not good at.....tabletops, so I usually spend more time on that than rocky stuff. But another great day, boys were still having a blast...riding all day, swimming, hot tubbing
1659374630143.png

1659375398739.png

Last day we got the kids of camp after lunch and spent the afternoon riding with them. This was just awesome...the boys were happy to do laps with us and go wherever they wanted and not have to stop....

1659379674255.png

1659379709704.png

Really just an excellent few days...The kids had a blast...us old dads had a blast....really great time...100% doing this again next year....

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
But wait, theres more....

After the camp I then drove to kingdom to meet up with @Norm @Dominique....Simon was in the Nica camp so they were up there riding as well. I have been really DYING to take Bob to kingdom now that he is a little older and could ride everything.

On thursday we arrived at kingdom, house was right near pinkham road....I thought a ride up to the moose haven pavillion and back seemed like a good 15 or so mile loop...He was being rather whiny at first so I busted out the kid fixer for the opening steep fire road climb....@jdog lent this to me and it was money
1659380428736.png

Pulled him up to the butter tubs trail, then he rode the rest of the ride himself. This was some of the best "time" I have ever had as a parent....just seeing how stoked he was his first time thru the top of black bear....feeling the flow of kingdom....it was so goddam fun.

1659381350829.png

1659381385638.png

1659381437369.png

I put the camera on him bc his commentary usually cracks me up...I think he liked it

Then we did lower black bear all the way to the bottom, climbed back up and looped in the bottom of that again....Then the long ride thru flower brook and the bottom of moose alley. This was just awesome...one of the best bike rides I have ever done
1659384081723.png

It hit me on this day......how in maybe 2009 or so I first met @V-Dub and Dillion at Jungle during what was probably a jungle pre ride....Rode with them for a bit...and I just recall thinking about how I had no desire at that time to be a parent....But I watched the two of them riding together and thought to myself..."Now this just looks awesome" ..And then thinking about how all of these years later...I have finally gotten to experience this...And while I will be the FIRST one to tell anyone what a complete pain in the ass children are....Experiencing this ride with bob...better than any race I have done, rock feature, jump...anything I have ever done myself on a bike....it was that good.

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Burke Enduro World Series

I can't believe this one is finally in the books.... I had originally signed up for this race back in 2020 only to have it canceled by covid..... Since then while I was signed up for it...like it never felt very real to me....I wasn't preparing for it....moreso, it was going to be a trip to go watch @muddybike race and whatever, id have fun and try not to kill myself. The course doesnt get released until the week of the race, so I had no idea what it would actually be.....outside of a pretty solid guess we would race on upper J bar and Rude Awakening. Racing the 100 class meant that I would practice Friday, then race on Saturday, 5 stages...1 day. The Pros do 1 stage on Saturday, then the same 5 stages on sunday. The major difference, and their start times are EXACTLY mapped out, our rules for the 100 were more lax.

Here's a scottish fellow to tell you more about

So when we did get the course info.....

1660655639670.png

Roughly what I expected.....I mean the thing that was always in my head with this race is that well if we have to race Rude awakening and upper J bar...that means 2 trips up the toll road at the least....if you are unfamiliar with the toll road...from the start of it....2.4 miles and 1750' of climbing...Heres Travis Pastrana going up it un under 2 minutes...Sadly, rally cars were not permitted for our liaisons

I had only once ever climbed the toll road, kinda for fun with @Chris26er and @pooriggy....I just remember it being REALLY fucking steep, taking forever and then at that time...Not being able to ride all of the features on upper J bar.....so now im doing it twice in a day, and I have to race down upper J bar.

The other 3 stages I would say are more Kingdom-esque.....Little rougher...say Moose Alley compared to the rest of kingdom. While they werent technically as hard as the two from up top, they were all chock full of non stopped turns, pumping, pedaling...absolutely exhausting at full speed.

So doing the math....about 20 miles of riding, with over 6000 ft of climbing....like ok, thats alot if im going out for a ride. Then factor in that my Pivot firebird weighs over 35lbs and ill be wearing all of this bullshit.
1660674021647.png

Suffice to say this is not going to be the Mass race at glen park with a 13minute cumulative time.

The trip:

So Kris had met some folks overseas who were planning on joining us so with that in mind we rented this big farm house about 25min outside of Burke. In the end, not everyone came, but that was quite alright....We were joined by Mary McConneloug and Mike Broderick....im embarrassed to say that I didn't know them prior...they are two amazing bike racers and really amazing people....I thoroughly enjoyed their stories of racing every kind of bike, pretty much everywhere on this planet. It was an absolute pleasure hanging with them....and Mary is one hell of a cook. Also joining us were the OTBNJ crew... @Bluepony421 (FULL FACE PAT IRL) and Italian Mike....I do love riding with these guys...They are kinda crazy, they make me feel old and often times I wonder if I'm going to fall into a 500ft crevasse when riding behind them. I am forever grateful to Pat for fixing my back in like an hour....that said I think he enjoys trying to kill me in other ways :)

Pre riding:

Well in a break from all NORMAL enduros...this pre ride is a RIDE...Like it would be right up there on the @JimN and @Wrong Way Dan idiotic scale. Wait were going to do what? I mean I have never considered a pre ride for an enduro possibly making me tired for the race the next day...but this one...about 20 miles, and even with the lift taking some of the climbing away...still 5000+ ft and two trips up the toll road. So Myself, Mia, Pat and Mike set off and soon realized what all the tape was on the grass
1660659740328.png

To get to the start of stages 2 thru 4 you had to up of this grass bastard of a hill. Its hard to tell, but if Mia was to slip in this picture, she might have tumbled down the hill, it was that steep. During the race someone knocked a rock loose and it went flying down the hill at high speed.

So the stages

Stage 2 was the lower J bar trail....This would be best described as very kingdom-esque...more like moose alley, little rougher, more roots and a couple punchy short uphills....but 2miles long...so in enduro terms, thats like long and stuff. This one will be good for me and I was stoked for it.

Stage 3...waynes world into the black forrest trail. Waynes world is pretty smooth and loamy, but it is steep with some tight turns to navigate...Not hard persay, but overcooking a corner is pretty easy. Then the black forest trail again kinda of like moose alley, little rougher than kingdom, but great flow and very fun.

Stage 4 started with an old school run down the steep grass....Didnt look hard, for me it was more that I had never done something like that before, so wasnt sure how fast I could go. Then you went into the enchanted forest trail which is kinda like the others, little more raw and pedaly..

ALL of the lower stages have that kingdom feel where no matter what...you are pumping, turning, pedaling, pumping more....very fun, but also very tiring.

So after these three we made our way over to the Toll road and started out first climb....The toll road starts out steep enough that you want to be in your granny...then it just gets WAY steeper....often times when you climb...you hit a switchback and the pitch eases up...not the toll road...the made the switchbacks steeper somehow. Soon after we started this steep pitch Mia was making this awful noise as she was breathing. She had crashed last week at the Killington race and injured her ribs.....Anyway I asked her if she was ok...this is like when John Connor asks the terminator if it hurts when he gets shot: I SENSE INJURY, THE DATA CAN BE CALLED PAIN.....So the only answer Mia gives me..."im fine." My wife loves to tell me that in the ER, the men are the biggest bunch of whining cry babies and the women are the ones who are tough....Now I dont know, but I will say that I have seen Kris and Mia take some really hard crashes and they get up and carry on like they are cybernetic organisms.

Stage 5 Rude awakening into camptown. So id say if you were just going to go ride burke from the top, this would probably be the easiest way down. However, racing it, when its wet....this is just a different matter. Its paved with roots, most of which are now wet after the rain. I rode it last month when it was bone dry and I still randomly ended up on the ground in a split second wondering WTF just happened. I dont ride wet roots often and if there is a technique, I dont know it. After like 6 min of this, you spend a minute of so flying down a fire road, then hit the 900 flat switchbacks of the camptown trail...This still will really take a TON of juice.

Stage 6: upper J bar. I had ridden upper J bar a couple of times prior to this year on my old cannondale trigger....I couldnt clean it and I ended up walking a few features...it was wet those days....this year in the dry on my new firebird I had no problem riding it....of course racing it is another matter. Its rocky and gnarly, full on downhill trail....after that it eases up with a fire road into a steep loamy section to the end.

Race day:

My race time was 11:38...so I went up on the stage and when the guy asked me how to pronounce my last name...I just told him to call me Utah Joe...wouldnt want to let down my 2 fans out there in the audience :) So I made my way up the grass ball buster and over to stage 2

Stage 2: Unlike other enduros where you just kinda give the person in front of you as much time as you want...this one had a countdown clock and people went every 30 seconds. So in 2 miles I figured I might catch someone, or be caught! (MY GOD THE HORROR).....Heard the 5 sec count down then dropped the hammer. I dont know this trail other than my pre ride, so im going fast but I dont know the turns and im trying hard not to overcook one. I did know about where the first climb was and when I crossed the bridge I absolutely smashed it with everything I had. Soon I saw glimpses of the guy in front of me....Passed two people who had pulled over....my heart rate was screaming as I inched my way closer to the guy who started before me. On the last up hill I got real close...this trail ends with a REALLY high speed straight downhill piece of double track that we both sent.....out into the grass it just didnt seem to make any sense to try and pass him and risk crashing. Finished up in a tick over 7min....later I found out that I won this stage by about 6 seconds...which was great bc I was going to need that time in the bank. Too much braking, but I made it thru clean and didnt overshoot a turn, which I thought was more important. HOLY hell was that an effort tho....my god I could have laid down right there lol.

sweet pic from stage 2...im not this fat, the body armor adds 20lbs
1660696717525.png

Stage 3: after another hike up hernia hill I arrived at wayne's world...The young crew there was interested in asking people if they knew what it was...and my god did I feel ancient! I gave them my best: "Claudia Schiffer...we salute you...schhhhhhhhaaaawing" And with that I proceeded onward with stage 3....Steep start with some loamy switchbacks...Not hard persay, but easy to go to fast and blow a turn....There was a pretty sizable crowd for this one and goddam it was awesome.....I made it thru and onto the black forest trail....This trail is FAST, flowy, really fun times....I cant say I took the best lines, but I got thru it...There is a step down jump that isnt very hard....but at speed I went WAY further than I thought I would...really scared the crap out of myself for a minute....But all good. Good effort,

Stage 4: This had the steep grass start down the ski hill and while it wasnt difficult...having never done this before I was a little unsure of how much speed I could carry....The turns were sharp and off camber and I didnt feel like having a massive yard sale in front of the crowd while riding on the lawn. After this you shot into the enchanted forest trail and for a moment I was blind from the light change. Felt ok on this one, kept it clean, albeit didnt feel very fast.

After this run, I regrouped with Pat and Mike and we rode down to the parking lot to grab some food and prepare for the long climb to the top. I usually NEVER do this. I dont like stopping for food, I rather just eat some bars and gels...However, with this being a 6+ hour day....I thought maybe it would help. Well after downing a a pbnj, we made out way back to the transfer....right way, my stomach felt like I ate a hand grenade and I knew this was a giant mistake....well whatever. The climb back to the top from the end of 4 was rather absurd. 3.3 miles, 1965ft....59 min exactly to make this climb...this is bike in the granny gear almost the entire way. It was one hell of a kick in the nuts on this tank of a bike with all this gear on.

Stage 5...Rude Awakening....So after this hour climb up, it was COLD and as I sat in line soaked with sweat I start cooling down really fast.....The start of Rude Awakening is a roughly 1 min long false flat where you are absolutely pedaling you ass off sprinting. Its a real shock to the system.....I made it thru that, into the right turn and up the hill....Things were on track...as I lined up for the first bit down downhill a root unexpectedly caused me to low side and in a flash I was on the ground....This was a nothing fall at low speed...I popped back up and hopped back on...only to find that my chain had come off....So now this is costing real time....lost some time but finally got it back together....Then I started going only to realize that my bar was jacked up and sideways....I was now pissed and fuck it, im not stopping again.....I also now see that the trail is wet, slick and muddy....Holy shit was it slick....So im making my way, feel like im crawling but just trying to stay upright. Its hard to get momentum on this trail as it has many sharp turns that nearly stop you and the slower you go, the more the roots fuck you up....So with my bar all jacked up I lost it again in a steep turn...flipped/tucked and rolled....I was fine, but had to run back uphill to the bike...this time my bar was jacked up so much I had to fix it....Got this sorted and just tried to get moving....finally after maybe 8 minute I got out of there and hit the fire road....I held the up shift and instantly burst into a sprint....This was met with both of my legs instant exploding with cramps....holy shit did the hurt...I just tried to keep pedaling thru them best I could but dam it hurt....Crossed the road into camptown and these cramps were not going away, just kept trying to push thru them....I overcooked one of the blown out burms, caught a tree with my front tire and crashed once again...Man what a mess....I hopped up and just did my best to get to the end of this stage.....I made it thru, despite 3 falls, I wasnt hurt, but the damage to my time was done...Pat put a minute on me here and while I wasnt racing Pat, I figured that my competition also put a good amount of time on me. It was a bit of a let down and I was rather annoyed with myself.

Well thankfully I had another hour of climbing up a wall to look forward too...oh and a wet and slick upper J bar. We started the climb back up and ok, now im feeling it. I mean I can suffer and ill make it, but I kept thinking about what I like to say about enduro vs XC.....Enduro doesnt have the misery that XC does...Ha...what a fucking idiot...I wanted to kick my own ass for such a statement. Anyway, we walk a bit, but my calves hurt worse then my legs, so I just keep on paper-boying it slowy up the mountain. We are in a group of maybe 20 different riders...passing each other back and forth...trying to make jokes and take the edge off....When we stopped at the midway water station....Holy crap, I dont think I have seen such misery in one place. I mean this is NOT an xc race where ok, your tired, your unhappy...but you just have to crawl along and eventually you will get home. This was all the misery, but at the end, you will have to descend a downhill trail, in the went that you could REALLY mangle yourself on.

It was after 5pm when we got to the top.....I lined up behind Pat as waited and he rode off....This is now where this race has become harder than any other I have done...This moment. I know I have ridden J bar, and I can do it....But now, after 3.5 hours of climbing straight up..3 crashes, cramping up...tired....ok NOW....JUGGLE 6 CHAINSAWS!!!! Its something that requires laser focus and at this point I have a flashlight. The starter asked me if I was feeling excited for this one...I answered with my favorite line I stole from @Norm ...."yes, in fact my nipples are exploding with delight at the thought of this right now".....we had a laugh and then I closed my eyes and tried to regain my focus....As I like to do when im in a dark place...I picture bob when he says to me "did you win dad??? did you try your best dad???" open my eyes...FUCK YES I DID....and with that, I set off.
I was really cautious as I started this stage, it was wet, slick and muddy in spots....I made it thru the opening features pretty clean and my confidence started to build.....I started going a little faster, and a little faster....We finally got to the real gnar and well here goes nothing....I hit this turn which to me is one of the scarier parts of this trail....I like this line donovan is on in this pic, but its really off camber and now its wet...so I took the red line instead....this is a steep rock face with a tight roll out at the end
1660703171408.png

Little bit of ass pucker but I rode it out....took a deep breathe and got ready for the next one coming right up....id say this had me the most worried. Again, this isnt a big deal when its dry...its tricky, but very doable....the turn at the tree when taking this line I took on this day is really tight....this video is from back in july when it was dry....
1660703652726.png

Anyway...with two marshals standing there...I rolled in, over, thru...when I hit the bottom clean I yelled out...." FUCK YES!!!!!!"...

Ok one more pain in the ass....this thing...Here Richie Rude shows us how only he can do it....the rest of us pleebs ride up and over the rock...but its really off camber and now wet and slippery. Watch this

I did my best Richie impression and somehow made it over cleanly......But in front of me Pat had crashed on it...He was clear of it by the time I got there, but he was now on the following part and stuck in a bad low line trying to get himself mounted and rolling again. While he got himself sorted, I went high and around him.....after this last stretch of gnar the trail quicky returns to loamy flow.....Im now ecstatic that I have cleaned everything and on the home stretch....But my arms are so fucking tired im still being really careful to not lose it....Pat catches back up and we ride out the last bit of upper Jbar together.....Ok, now im having fun....Pat passes me on the CCC road as we head to the last bit of single track....I give chase but as I slam thru the water bars and feel the front end getting wobbly, I decided this was not smart....Im just too tired to keep this speed up.....I kept it clean thru the last bit of single track and crossed the line.....finally, DONE! Holy shit....that was just fucking crazy.

Soon I was greeted by @muddybike who filmed Pat and I on the home stretch...and @Meatball Mia was there....She seriously looked like she rode a beach cruiser thru point pleasant for 15 minutes. Wow, what a freaking day that was.

19.2 miles, 6300ft of climbing, 3hrs 58min of pedal time......34min, 46 sec of that was my "race time" so that means about 3hrs, 25min I was climbing cat2 and above climbs....Thats one hell of a day....

I ended up 5th after my bad stage 5
1660704928556.png

Looking at my strava, my moving time for stage 5....when I wasnt stopped dirt napping was 11:40, so I think if I had rode it clean, I might have gotten 4th, but no better than that. But I know Greg Jackson and he usually dominates my class, so in the end im probably about where I should be....And on my first crack at this....I have to say, im totally fine with that result. My main goal was to finish and be in one piece to cheer on Kristine on Sunday.

Shot out to Pat and Mike who made great suffering partners out there. I was truly impressed with both of them. I didnt know if they would have it in them to suffer like that and the both climbed every bit of those hills like champs. Props gentlemen.

Anyway...I stuck around to watch Mia get her medal and box of cheese....no really...then I made my way back to the house where a 2 times Olympian made me a killer pork loin dinner....Now that was a day ill never forget.

Lastly a shot out to @muddybike and @Meatball Mia....You know I often feel like I have done whatever I first set out to do with bike racing and I have nothing left to prove to myself....so why bother? Well these two inspire me to get out there and still give it my best....They make it fun and I enjoy being part of their adventures.....and two better teammates I could not ask for. On this trip...one cooked me chicken, bought me dinner...the other made me a giant bag of cookies....Thanks ladies!

1660706051425.png

Attachments

• 1660658997713.png
    1660658997713.png
    807.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1660657402036.png
    1660657402036.png
    650.7 KB · Views: 57

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
But wait, theres more!!!

Burke EWS pro day....a recap in which I did 0.00 seconds of bike riding.

So on sunday I woke up to the smell of Mary and Mike cooking some amazing breakfast....And while my plan was to sleep til noon, I figured id best get up and make sure @muddybike didnt need anything for her race. Set her tire pressure for her and she was off to burke to start her day. Italian Mike and I dragged ass around the house for a while, but eventually I made it back over to the bike park.

When I arrived I parked near Skills with Phil Kmetz...who remembered me and we chatted for a while about the race. Phil came in 4th in the EWS 100 open class even with a couple crashes. It was funny discussing the race from two opposite ends of the spectrum, me being from XC and phil being from DH. When I watch his videos having raced the same course...his cornering speed is just mind blowing. But Phil is really so good at setting up his cameras....I loved his recap videos. Watching him crash on Rude Awakening...I cant believe he didnt die lol.

Anyway, then I needed to get on the lift and get to the stage to watch Kris' send off. I got on the lift with a guy who was racing....turned out he was Saben Rossi...His name sounded REALLY familiar and I was sure I saw it somewhere. Later on I would notice that he won the pro class at the Mountain Creek ESC last fall. Anyway, he told me his time on the pro stage which I also raced the day before and it was like 2min faster than mine....mind blowingly fast....but he went on to mention how it was 45 or so seconds off the leaders and he was 60-ish place.....Just funny when you see all of the different levels fast.

The announcer butchered Kris' name as they usually do...I mean for fuck sake...they butcher her name more than mine.

Anyway...stage 2 had no viewing spots so me, Mia and her family made our way over to stage 3. We got over there as the crowd was forming....and dam, what a crowd!!!! people yelling, whistles, horns....There was a tape line to keep us all back from the course...This lasted about 5 minutes and everyone said fuck it and went under and around it. The crowd got big and LOUD......When Jack Moir went by for example...

Anyway, so I heard these guys with the megaphone and the chainsaw and im like: I HAVE AN IDEA!!!!!!!! So I made my way over there after some chit chatting with these crazy kids...I told them about Kris and how we call her the "Queen of Rock(s)" They were all too happy to help me get a chant going for her.....I dont know who they were, but dam was I thankful they helped me do this. I figured when Kris was feeling like I felt on that second toll road climb, this might cheer her up.

So I cant really think of a time where I sat and watched top level pros race bikes....Motocross yes, but I dont think I have ever seen pros race bikes before....Certainly not on a course that I just rode the day before. It really blew my mind how fast these guys/ladies were going.

After watching Kris fly by on stage 4 we slowly made our way over to the other side of the mountain and the camptown trail which runs next to the toll road climb. Watched Kris come thru on her stage 5...gave her the banana I had been carrying for her all day, then we followed her up the toll road climb for a while....As I watched these poor souls thinking about having done this the day before...ugh..I felt their pain. Not too long after we saw Richie Rude riding up the toll road...paper boying like the rest of the humans.....Mia looked like this :) :
swoon-vintage.gif

Hiked over to the last stage and watched everyone coming thru. Kris looked much like I did the day before...like a moose trampled her. Grabbed some beer then hung out with the rest of the 35+ ladies she raced with. Was a really interesting group from all over the planet and it was great listening to them recap their day.
Watched Richie Rude come thru with a smoking fast time to knock Jack Moir out of the lead which was pretty cool.....stayed for the podiums then made my way back to the farm house. That was another really awesome day.

What a killer trip and amazing few days.....I have to say, that experience far exceeded my expectations. If I have one regret it was that I didnt signup for Sugarloaf this week.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Doing flips and breaking ankles

Well this is definitely not the blog post I wanted to make....but I enjoy sharing my experiences, good or bad....and this was quite the experience.

So for years now since he was like 3 or so I have been taking bob to the skyzone. Im one of those parents who enjoys getting out there and jumping with my kid.....Yes im old and im sure I look ridiculous out there, but whatever...I have fun with my kid and I love being able to do as many things as I can with him. When I was 8, my dad was not in very good shape and outside of skiing there was nothing much my dad was able to really do with me. So I try hard to be the opposite of that.

Anyway, for the past couple of years my son has been doing flips....he learned how in his gymnastics class and he does them rather effortlessly now. I had been trying them but I was never able to land one. Like 6 weeks ago, I got it in my head that I wanted to do this and I was going to figure it out. So my osn gave me some tips and I started practicing into the foam pit....after a while, I felt like I got down. So I moved back to the trampolines and it took me like 10 tries but I figured it out. I ran and got bob who likes playing dodge ball to come check it out....he has no patience for taking videos of me, but he did get a not so good one

So since then, we go to the skyzone usually twice a week and jump for 90min....Its a good workout and I love doing anything that I feels helps me with my core and balance. I have landed probably 50 flips since then and missed 50 more. In all of my years of going to the skyzone I have never so much as had a scratch...so to me, it never seemed like anything remotely risky compared to what I typically do.

Tuesday was just another night there....jumped around for a while, bob went to play dodge ball and I just jumped around getting a workout. Did a few flips into the foam pit for good measure then headed back to the regular mats.....on my first attempt, I jumped, came around, everything felt normal but my ankle just collapsed instantly.

It was quite a shock....and instantly im sitting on the mat looking at my foot folded over sideways trying to understand how the hell that just happened.....The next 30 seconds time slowed down and while it hurt, it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I called one of the workers over and soon people around me got a look and everyone took off running away lol. Many things went thru my mind...first and foremost how I just planned two ski trips to colorado and Utah and I knew I wouldnt be on skis for a long time. So they got a mat, helped me onto it then dragged me off. I sent the guys to go get my son and they were all super worried that he would freak out....I always remember my dad being like impervious to pain and so I did my best to be cool and not let him think it hurt at all. Thankfully, he was not the least bit upset.

Ok so I got a good look at my ankle and it didnt take a medical degree to know I was going to need surgery...so my next fight was going to be getting myself to morristown, because I wouldnt let hackettstown, newton, st claires, or dover hospital work on my pet fish (if I had any). Thankfully when the emts got there they told me that I was a trauma and had to go to Morristown...WHEW....Also good news was that my wife was working on this night. So I called her and told her what happened and that I was coming down....The emts sent some gnarly pics to the trauma team and team and we got into the ambulance. My son was super stoked to get to ride shotgun and if you know my kid, you know he doesnt shut up for 5 seconds, much like his father. He literally talked to the driver for the entire 25min drive uninterrupted. They were have fun playing with the sirens. One thing I thought about as I laid on that stretcher.....much like in 2006 when I compound fractured my tib/fib....goddam how lucky we are to live in this time with our medical system. I thought about the pain and what it must have been like to be shot in the civil war...no pain meds, no ambulance, no surgery....this pain is it....I know that in a short amount of time, ill be getting some relief.

We pulled up and they brought me right inside to the trauma room. I have seen it before touring around my wife's work, was hoping to never be the patient in there. On this night there must have been 15 people in there and they all started working me. The ortho surgeon came in and was like WHOA, that is really impressive and I mean I pride myself on making good first impressions. So after a few minutes they started to grab my foot and yank on it a bit and I quickly reminded them...OUCH MOTHER FUCKER lol. In 06 two residents attempted to reduce my broken leg and I was still very awake and it was some of most intense pain I have ever experienced....My wife was not with me on that day but she always maintains that they should not have done that. Thankfully this time she was standing right next to me. So I asked her..."does he need to be doing this right now?" To which she responded..."you have no blood flow to your foot and its turning blue, you could lose it, it must be reduced now" Im a firm believer that you must be you're own advocate when it comes to your health, so ask the questions even if it might hurt some feelings. Anyway, I trust my wife, so I told the dude...whatever, send it. I had thought he was just going to do because my wife sent my son out of the room. However, THANKFULLY they decided to give me some drugs first.

few pics
324101671_1522068618315177_3745441029876725157_n.jpg

qZH4n2HWl50GZLqBr_km8vVOhTNdryXxYt9EXHqyOrrVlLom5BgkrDC4z-JSM14yFfPWVioY78kOKSoLAyCiV4yV6U4vN2kSuusl7FJOMAKOfVLnRGl6tquSsYzsSDbXy1BZNBa5Uy-lkQHC_bBnR9c0TucjgpqvSly4uQBiC2kFRk5--LLUnhymB-2QBZ7N3yztSiy54QlmOYLzi9d2YBg6-6Eo_SVHwCI7upQ776T2uEVgIih4FNJRhvEZHH-X07Xoyncl4CnMotCyihYAhHaycFcfVeshI1y3zLCYU6_w6M5kaJ8iJb511UF3XksYVN2f9fNt4jdvTI8kKLQpni38fh7wfs_S90xF3_-Q38lvcL9FLWkpWSrJgd4C6jTifs7UZAu25yXamlw_JkXx0vNT4eeY_nWyGnTkT0Fp5uJLL8t7wfvclOLjHTEiDo0NIxcGMEEUXR5k698Y9C5Dy0uLdcamoK_xXGXZANqmxoPpC-Cf-ReD7Z0N5DQNT68004AFIESBLoufw7236kyc9CN0E_FCsHtHLtFrzfPFAIU9X_QOGcktPE6fwOthGqXDkOx3znUpo9u1a0c0QECiPKlhKlIqtEmcbSROlfM2Njbv374qKdpaoXXIprFkRbzEjTOVB8_l0OQ73MnJDM_I3H4YwLx43Gqg2OXKjIYvLb4UkV1bPG571j43AsL_PVfKS6rspU-uLj2a6iZ4Z4LbXCrjtB_0s3VT6TwVDy2ab_PZH2bI90sY5PLZqz-55zgXuonrCYGvAKFGgsDTDs5Zh0Ae6bfk899iCFlp6R9-uzs2Ofsfp2omJac6IR0iKYyPPFXDC93sOa2eKtP-7X73PvkibtZmxXxEd-3LLxv_cyYJZGQMVCxTxj8lIXsG6gFyU5JDo-ht6fZgvwVEGuIx_3zoWJdcfXtFNV5su1LimxYF9w=w413-h914-no

Special K!
So I have heard of Ketamine and I remember years ago people calling it special K...I was never a drug user, but my wife told me thats what they were going to hit me up with...Whatever, so long as I didnt have to feel them yank my foot back into position. So they gave me the drug and wow, this was quite an experience. It wasnt like pain killers where you feel slowed down and tired....This felt as if I had left my body....the noise of people talking became super intense....the lights on the ceiling made me feel like I was in an alien ship and my arms and legs were being cut off....it was NOT a good high by any stretch....Not that I was ever planning on picking up some special K on the street, but that experience certainly sealed it. But as I came to I could start to make out my wife telling me "they fixed your ankle" ....She told me the ortho just grabbed it and yanked it back into place in like 1 second...neat...Glad I was on the special K express for that one. I have to say....watching my wife work, talk to the doctors, deal with my son, tell the techs what to do....all the while being absolutely cool calm collected....She always impresses me...but I did think to myself...I make alot of bad decisions, but that was a good one.

So the ortho gave me the lowdown that I did a bunch of damage to my fibula and some other bones in my ankle...I was too high to remember the names of the other bones...i was going to need plates and screws, etc....So yippie skippy...They scheduled my surgery for the next day....Next I heard the hospital was full and they were going to stick me around the ER somewhere...whatever. Then after 10 minutes I found out I was instead going upstairs and getting my own private room....my wife tells me this has nothing to do with her, but I always feel ike I get treated really well when im at that hospital.

I was able to get comfortable but I didnt sleep, I watched the movie groundhog day and stared at the clock from 8pm until 6am. As my wife loves to tell me...NOBODY sleeps at the hospital. So finally around noon the next day they came and got me for my surgery....I have had many surgeries in my life...They dont really cause me much fear or anxiety anymore as I know im not going to feel anything....However, I have often woken up after in alot of pain...so I wondered about that...As I was being wheeled down the hall, I did have this thought I wanted to share.....I was feeling a little down...My skiing and biking are now done for a long time...I lived with crutches with my broken leg and its no fun......I thought about would my ankle ever work right again? etc....And somewhere along the way I stopped and thought about @Frank @muddybike my Mom, several other friends who are dealing with or have had cancer.....and I thought...Its my ankle...I know they can fix it and ill be ok in a matter of time. There is little uncertainty that I will have to deal with....That made me feel better. The surgery went well...its amazing how every time I wake up from a surgery the first thing I think of is: did we start yet...it really is like time travel.

They installed 2 plates and 10 screws reattaching the bottom part of my fibula that broke off and attaching it to my tibia, I think. Unfortunally they showed me the xray after the sugery but I havent seen it since....I order a copy of all my films, but it wasnt in there. Sorry, ill get it eventually...it looked something like this as I recall
surgical-plates-trimalleolar-fracture-fr.jpg

So they sent me back to my room where I spent the rest of the night in a fog....couldnt sleep, watching tv was making feel motion sick...I just sat in the dark and tried to pass the time. Thankfully I wasnt in much pain......

And now for the real horror story.....This was bad, you may or may not want to read this...but this made my ankle feel like a skinned knee
So by the next morning it had to occured to me that I could not stop the feeling like I had to pee....constantly....Id be pissing every 5 minutes and no relief whatsoever. So eventually they scanned my bladder and told me that from the anesthesia, my prostate function had been also put to sleep....Im told this is common...well its a first for me. So they said oh well put in a catheter....which I cant even put into words how fast I shut that down....I mean right to my best Mr. Garrison impression
5731f5ae2a4b9bb97382837aa6d3cab69f66b14d.gif

later in the day they scanned me again and said it was getting worse and they would need to do it.....I asked them...listen am I going to die? and I was told my bladder could burst nd it would be really bad...and I like...Dying bad? bc we need to get to that level before ill even consider it. So they had the urologist come talk to my wife...my wife has a way of putting things too me like..."listen here you idiot, this has to be done...your going to let them do it and shut the fuck up about it"....I will tell you...I dont get scared from broken bones, needles, drills, stitches, surgeries, blood, etc....I like to think im pretty tough for a man anyway..But this was TOTALLY different I was absolutely freaked the fuck out....I decided ok, fine, do it.....I cant even sit still writing this....so details aside, they tried and it wouldnt work bc my prostate was so enlarged....I will tell you that hurt 10,000^963 times worse than breaking my ankle.....jesus fucking christ. Anyway...one failed attempt and thats it, no more.....I FIRMLY told them...I would rather die them have them try that again.

Again, this is where you have to be your own advocate...I am still friends with Ashley Mortensen who some of you might remember...She is a doctor that did her residency in NJ and used to ride alot....I texted her with all of my numbers and she assured me that she didnt think I was going to die...So I went with that.

Thankfully after another 16 or so hours, shit started working again. But it was the sole reason I was stuck in the hospital for as long as i was.....

Finally yesterday, they let me go....dam was it nice to be home.

So im looking at possibly 12 weeks non weight bearing....whew...my leg was only 2. I mean I know I wont know anything for real until my first ortho appointment on the 24th so im waiting until then to really worry about how long this is going to take. I did buy one of these yesterday bc crutches are a pain in the ass. ...hoping it works

2021-08-14_01-27-35.jpg

So I was in the hospital for 3 nights, I slept for a total of about 3 hours....during that time it was really awesome to have so many people reaching out to me and helping me pass the time. I really appreciate it. Best part was coming home yesterday....sitting on my couch....my son getting home from school and giving me a huge hug. That was pretty special.

So for now its just me and my blind dog on the couch. What a pair
1673120748188.png

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I’ve always marveled at the amount of specific detail in your race recaps over the years. You‘ve done much the same here. Some crazy stuff.

You’re one of the most positive, energetic people around. If anyone is going to heal up and be back at it ahead of schedule, it will be you. ✊

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
That was teary eyed Joe! I was like how did you get hurt like that on a backyard trampoline but honestly I can totally see that Skyline. I used to go to the elite trampoline factory in Middletown and it was scary how high Could bounce on a professional trampoline. So high in fact that you can't control yourself when come down and you do everything you can not to deflect onto the trampoline 2 spots over. Heal up!

serviceguy

I had to stop reading at the pic of the broken bone RX. I’m that much of a wuss! I’ll read it later, now I have to put ice on my ankle, it started to ache while I was reading the post title! Heal up soon bud!

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
who knew 'the big one' would come at a trampoline place.....
heal-up. Wonder if Bob can outrun you now - that changes things.

Top Bottom