Shenandoah Mountain 100 Race Results

xc62701

Hey peeps. I just got back in from the Shenandoah Mountain 100 and it was a blast as usual. These races are such a good time cause it's a festival atmosphere the whole time, even during the race.

For me my goal were as follows: to finish in under 10 hours and to be in the top 100 of my class. As there were supposedly 550 people racing I know I had a good shot and the latter goal. Well the race went off fine but it had rained HARD the night before. I knew it was going to be a sloppy race but it would be ok. And it was a little sloppy. From preriding I had a good idea of the course but I didn't remember everything and it was interesting trying to remember how to pace myself. There is a LOT of climbing on this course.

The aid stations started flying by and it was going well but after aid 3 and closer to aid 4 the power started draining. The stomach was in knots and was not doing good. I didn't know what the solution was so that was not helping. I just tried to moderate hydration, food and power and I started feeling a little better at the top of the huge climb but recovery was just not happening so I kinda limped through the rest of the course. I knew I wasn't going to break the 10 hour mark so I took a little longer at the aid stations and had more fun on the course. The sections of singletrack were really amazing. It turned from being efficient and putting down power to trying to jump as high as I could off the many water bars on the course which was a blast.

So all in all it was fun. Tried a great course. Finished 154th overall and 10:39 was my finish time. I'm not sure if I got that top 100 mark but that's ok if I didn't. My big goal this season was to be competitive in the overall for the NUE series and with this finish I did my required 4 races in a total time of 40 hours and 37 minutes. I had a blast doing it and met many great people and had a bunch of great life experiences. I'd recommend trying any of these if you have the means.

D

dzm3

Good job on the time and the finish, that's pretty darn impressive. Having done 4 of these races now, I'd say, sub 10 hours is very very impressive goal, and sub 9 is just silly...

I managed 271st in 11:50. There were 510 starters... 114 DNFs... That's pretty scary attrition rate!

dz

Last edited by a moderator:

xc62701

Ah crap looks like I got 110th place in mens open. Goal #2 crapped... That's ok though it was all good dirty fun. I'm tired.... Time for a road ride.

maddawg

team darkhorse had tough day out there in the mountains. we gave it all we had and that got us to 58 miles. sucks to pull the plug but i lost the battle first with my stomach and then mentally. just couldnt turn the corner and get it going. you can check the full write on the blog.

what a fantastic event though. great to see lots of familiar faces and hang with some way cool peeps! congrats to everybody who made the trek and finished or just gave it a go!

so i have unfinished buisness in the shenandoah woods! we'll see what happens next year.

by the way the boys from nycmtb just killed it out there!! whats in the water in the city?!!

http://teamdarkhorseracing.blogspot.com/

vlkslvr

Congrats to all that rode the 100

Ah crap looks like I got 110th place in mens open. Goal #2 crapped... That's ok though it was all good dirty fun. I'm tired.... Time for a road ride.

My friend that got me back into Mountain Biking rode as well. He did an 11:45 on a single speed Cannondale; said the single track was just amazing and overall he had a blast.

As a Noob I can only read about races like this and imagine what it's like, right now 2 hour rides leave me pretty wiped. So to all of you that toed the line and gave it a go a hearty congratulations, hopefully you aren't hurting too much today :)

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
by the way the boys from nycmtb just killed it out there!! whats in the water in the city?!!

I'm definitely proud of the boys- Nate pulled 9th in singlespeed, 39th overall. Al wasn't far behind him in 60th overall. Jae finished in 387th- beat the 14 hour mark by 22 seconds!

I'm going to have to suck it up, train harder and race an ultra next year. Sounds like a whole lot of pain/suffering/fun... ;)

Kmoodymz3

Congratulations all. I met my goal of sub-12 @ 11:37 which is a personal best for the shenandoah 100 for me by 25 minutes :D It took me 3 tries to break the 12 hr mark. This put me in 16th out of 52 women and 263 overall.

It was a bit messy out there from Saturday's rains and it took me over an hour to clean up my bike today!

RNG1

Wow that's serious stuff, congrats to everyone, I can't even imagine how intense that must be.

xc62701

Congratulations all. I met my goal of sub-12 @ 11:37 which is a personal best for the shenandoah 100 for me by 25 minutes :D It took me 3 tries to break the 12 hr mark. This put me in 16th out of 52 women and 263 overall.

It was a bit messy out there from Saturday's rains and it took me over an hour to clean up my bike today!

You cleaned it up? I just stuck it in the apt and rode my road bike today ;)

xc62701

I'm definitely proud of the boys- Nate pulled 9th in singlespeed, 39th overall. Al wasn't far behind him in 60th overall. Jae finished in 387th- beat the 14 hour mark by 22 seconds!

I'm going to have to suck it up, train harder and race an ultra next year. Sounds like a whole lot of pain/suffering/fun... ;)

Come drink the kool aid...you'll likey!:D

xc62701

Yea I think I'll be back in the woods tomorrow as well. Probably gonna go play in Ringwood and goof around and get some miles in. Went for an 20 mile road ride today(about 1:15 ride time) just to spin and keep the legs moving and it felt pretty good.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
...My friend that got me back into Mountain Biking rode as well. He did an 11:45 on a single speed Cannondale; said the single track was just amazing and overall he had a blast....

r u talking about BlackBeansCycles finest, BlackBean???! ;)

MoFo managed to NOT cramp :p and finished it under 12hrs on a single speed!!!

Hats off to him too.....

He is already pushing me to join him next year... :drooling:
I guess I must start accumulating miles now.....[runs to the stationary bike]

Pokgirl

Spork
Yea I think I'll be back in the woods tomorrow as well. Probably gonna go play in Ringwood and goof around and get some miles in. Went for an 20 mile road ride today(about 1:15 ride time) just to spin and keep the legs moving and it felt pretty good.

Chris went to the Bethel Crit last night after Shen. Is he nuts or what?!?

P.S. Pawling won the team competition. WooHoo!

BlackBean

I came in at 11:42. I think Karen passed me at station 6. That last fireroad climb just got to me mentally. I was like 'Jesu Christo - do we have to do this again?? :drooling:'.

A great race in all though. Would highly recommend it. But you need to be in shape to enjoy it. Support during this race is absolutely outstanding. And the meals pre and post race was really good too. And I met my mtb idol Chris Eatough!! With a photo to proof it :D

Top Bottom