Shark in the Snow!

...um, let's see,HORSESHIT!! Snow on the ground, stud up................IMHFO

...um, let's see, someone once said, opinions are like @ssholes.

PP: I can not find the reference that I thought was from anrothar about riding on the ice, maybe Sean can set me straight about that info I posted earlier.

Here is some information that might be helpful to sort through. Not MHFO, but something else to chew on:

Riding in the snow is awesome, especially if the snow has been packed in already. I ride a lot in the snow, I tend to take my singlespeed just for ease of cleaning afterwards. you will be amazed at how much traction you could get on snow. I dont even use studded tires, I use a nice 2.4 rear tire and it seems to work fine.
so when do you want to go???

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=152270

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=148538

i agree that, for me, studs are only necessary commuting in icy conditions. under very rare circumstances does rubber actually grip on ice. not sure that i said that, but if i did, i blame beer. i enjoy riding a non-studded tire on ice because of the challenge and the balance workout. two types of tires work great in the snow. a narrow one with tall, well spaced knobs(like the old panaracer spike 1.85), which will cut through to the traction; or a wide, low air pressure tire with widely spaced knobs, which will aid in floating on packed snow.

Jive Translation

For mere mortals(not Sean) if you want to gingerly ride along or just sit at a desk and talk about riding or ride at flat places whatever tire is fine, but if you want to do extended climbs or freakin moto at "summer speed" then studs rock.$$$ tires not needed just get kendas or innovas they might be like $60 a pair.I just thought the questionee popped in cause he was thinking of tryin some winter riding I and didn't want anyone to struggle more than neccessary. PS THROW AWAY THE TRAINER, THERE'S NO OFF SEASON!!

general feeling is that for real winter riding (real as in NOT this winter in NJ where there is no more than 2" of snow on the ground...maybe!!), studs are necessary. at least that's what the new england folks are saying.

Tillsnow gets to 4" or more only studded rear.Due to MX experience i tend to steer and push w/ the rear tire so its much more important.As to icebike, i run almost 50psi in summer and about 42 in winter.At their recommended psi's I'd be lucky to get up to 5mph and the only thing that would save me from tire change frostbite would be that it would blow out 10 feet from the car...........................................................

Big Bobby draws the Ace of Spades!!

I am not hostile,I just have a low tolerance for stupidity,and I am working on it.You're all fair game here but out in the woods I am the ultimate sherpa and will leave no man behind(even if they're stupid)

Back
Top Bottom