Serviceguy's angst...or how I cope with life by cobbling bikes (not a thread about pizza).

Looks like a bike now. Minus the cranks that is, there almost no clearance with the chain stays (looks like 1mm on each side) so it will have to wait for the 189mm spindle.

Take the crank guards off, you can't run them with that crank. The spindle is correct.

Take the crank guards off, you can't run them with that crank. The spindle is correct.

There's no crank guards to be taken off. I could run it like this but if the crank preload ring were to back off a little then the non drive side crank would hit the chain stay. Maybe I didn't pick the best crank design to be used on such a wide rear...everything else is a go, once the piston of my compressor warms up and I can inflate the front rear...

There's no crank guards to be taken off. I could run it like this but if the crank preload ring were to back off a little then the non drive side crank would hit the chain stay. Maybe I didn't pick the best crank design to be used on such a wide rear...everything else is a go, once the piston of my compressor warms up and I can inflate the front rear...

Not entirely sure what's going on there. DG has those cranks on both of his Mukluks. I ran one on my 197 bike until I got a Quarq, which is narrower.

Not entirely sure what's going on there. DG has those cranks on both of his Mukluks. I ran one on my 197 bike until I got a Quarq, which is narrower.
:shrug: I measured the BB shell at 100 mm, BSA30 100 installed by the dealer using 2.5 mm spacers on both side of the shell, spindle is engraved with RF169, which should require only 1.5 mm spacers on both sides, but once installed with the specified spacers it's obvious there's way more slack than what could be compensated by the preload ring. Something fishy with the spindle/crank...I need to take it apart and check is seated correctly.

Mukluk owners unite!

1575596992264.png

It's mostly about not being able to get the correct spindle to work and ordering the wrong one to replace it. Should've bought an S-Works :)
Ah! More like...should I buy a 27.5 framed Alaskan complete bike in size 18” or size 20” ...ah, ok I’ll buy a large beargrease bike then...wait, I bought a mukluk frame and had to source some parts in the cheap and now the spindle doesn’t fit. Like I said, it may technically fit but it’s too close to the chain stays for my likings...the 189 spindle is sold as the spindle for a 197 mm rear, I would’t call it wrong.

Also, not a specialized fan. No specific reason for it.

@Patrick, maybe at this point the thread could be moved to the blogs sections...or just dumped in the most meaningless thread, either way...

Last edited:
I figured out what the problem was with the bb, the dealer I bought the frame from installed only 1 spacer on the drive side instead of two and none on the non drive side. RF instructions say otherwise. It will have to wait for when I come back from Italy, unfortunately things with my dad have gotten a turn for the worse, I am about to board my flight to Florence.

I figured out what the problem was with the bb, the dealer I bought the frame from installed only 1 spacer on the drive side instead of two and none on the non drive side. RF instructions say otherwise. It will have to wait for when I come back from Italy, unfortunately things with my dad have gotten a turn for the worse, I am about to board my flight to Florence.

Sorry man, safe flight and good luck Leo.

Back
Top Bottom