Send all your thoughts & prayers to Schilling

NJPArider

My thoughts and prayers are with Chris, his family, and friends at this time. I tend to ride solo most of the time, but anytime I've crossed paths with Chris on the trail, he's smiling, and positive. To see him ride makes one ride more strongly and more joyfully. People like him affirm that we have made the right choice in spending our time pedaling through the woods. Speedy recovery - the trails await your return :)

de00304

image.jpg
I didn't SS today, but I rode my fatboy up white at Ringwood to the part of the trail I worked on a few weeks back, side by side with Chris, remembering the easy conversation amidst hard work. HTFU Chris, we need you, the trails need you...

MMuller

Mitch, Chris and I broke off on an Allaire TM a bunch of years back. Chris and I tackled and repaired a consistently muddy section of Tiger, by the golf course, while Mitch insisted in going up the trail and hack away at a downed tree with a swiss army knife or something. I think of it every time I pass the section where, after seasons of floods and droughts, the section remains repaired and rideable....and Mitch's tree still lies.

I also think of the newbie Chris, always lining up behind me; the older, more experienced rider in the train, and the look of humble excitement on his face as he started getting stronger, faster and started passing me. I'd sort of roll my eyes, smiling, seeing his newbie exuberance.
Then I think of a few years later, riding one of the CR Thursday rides where, on a flat section, I actually caught and passed Chris! I was so shocked and excited. I actually thought he had a mechanical and asked if he was OK. He calmly said "No problem man, you got it." I can just imagine the look on his face as he rolled his eyes, smiling seeing this old man's exuberance!

A few more years later now. I'll continue trying to keep his tire in sight.

Last edited:

moray42

Merman
And the single speed is back in the rotation:). Late night yesterday translated into a late start today. Plan was hit Beachwood Bikes for more Stans, check Toms River Home Depot to see if they had any more of the "keep pedaling Chris" bracelets and make a donation, and ride.
Made it to Home Depot coincidentally at the same time as @Arwen's Mom. No bracelets, but will try to get back when more are in. Limited on time I went to Jakes Branch since I knew it is one of Chris's quick local parks. Lots of sand, spongy trail, and single speed fun for #SinglespeedforSchilling
image.jpg
image.jpg

giff06

And the single speed is back in the rotation:). Late night yesterday translated into a late start today. Plan was hit Beachwood Bikes for more Stans, check Toms River Home Depot to see if they had any more of the "keep pedaling Chris" bracelets and make a donation, and ride.
Made it to Home Depot coincidentally at the same time as @Arwen's Mom. No bracelets, but will try to get back when more are in. Limited on time I went to Jakes Branch since I knew it is one of Chris's quick local parks. Lots of sand, spongy trail, and single speed fun for #SinglespeedforSchilling
View attachment 25994 View attachment 25995
Jakes is fun if you ride the Blue trail.
E&P

Matt_

I Get Jokes
How difficult is it to convert a geared bike to SS? Is it something a shop should do?

If you can swap your own cassette, you can handle the conversion.

I think it's worth learning to do since the cassette tools are cheap and you'll want to swap the cog on occasion depending where you're riding and fitness level at the time (for us mortals at least)

njmark

Professional Cyclist
If you can swap your own cassette, you can handle the conversion.

I think it's worth learning to do since the cassette tools are cheap and you'll want to swap the cog on occasion depending where you're riding and fitness level at the time (for us mortals at least)

Well I'm more mortal than most so I'm sure it will be a useful skill to pick up.

qclabrat

Well I'm more mortal than most so I'm sure it will be a useful skill to pick up.
depends on the frame, most likely you'd need a tensioner to avoid chain slack and drops
also make sure you get a variety of spacers to get the right chain line
If not comfortable, have a shop set it up
I'm not experienced with SS, but I can tell you I quickly learned I didn't have the right gearing. Afterwards, swapping gears won't be difficult

Top Bottom