Send all your thoughts & prayers to Schilling

image.jpeg

Sending a little NJ love from the west coast, heal up bud, will stomp a single gear in the forest for you today.

I've never met Chris but I know our paths have crossed at some point as I've done Cathedral pines, H2H, SSAP and some of the mtbnj races over the years. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Get well soon and I'll dust off the SS like many other here have done.

it's interesting how when you're thinking back on things you remember little details about people that you'd forgotten.

i don't know if it was a post here or a conversation that i had with @Schilling at one of the many, many, many mtbnj events that i've attended over the years :rolleyes:, but he was saying how i was one of the first people he'd met from the site. ironically, it was when i had sworn off having a dedicated single speed because, well, i'm a weak bitch and just wanted to ride a bike. anyway, the point is, he's been riding my damn Hope Hubs since that point, putting god only knows how many miles on them, just grinding away, turning the cranks over and over. he never stopped pushing. and i don't believe he will now.

don't stop chris. keep moving forward. keep fighting.

edit: i just occurred to me that i should probably explain the :rolleyes:: i am notoriously absent from mtbnj events despite owning the damn site. it's an inside and long running joke. the caveat to this is, if it snows 12 feet and you need a mile of single track dug into it, i'm the guy to call.

Last edited:
Chris,
Although I do not have the gear, stamina or skill to ride singlespeed, I did go for a ride today in your honor. My first ride in almost 2 months and I made it a point to ride to Ilgenstein Rock. I'm not really a religious man but there's a view of the NYC skyline up there and figuring since the Pope is headed that way maybe God was listening. I knelt down and said a prayer for you buddy. You're sorely missed by many. Get well man. And thanks for helping me get my riding mojo back.

Pray for chris.JPG

Ran the fatty at Jakes today. Trying to get my head around this turn of events. Haven't been there since spring. I was thinking back to last February when there was 6-8" of fresh snow and we came over with our XC skis. We skiied the yellow trail and where it crosses the blue there was a single set of skinny tire MTB tracks. Pat and I looked at each other and at the same time we both said" Schilling". We laughed and moved on. After we finished we pulled around by the office and out of the woods comes Chris. Caked in snow and sweat and smiling. We chatted, we were headed home and Chris dove back in for another lap. Please HTFU my friend and stop my heart from bleeding.
Ed and Pat
the Snot Rocket tandem
2015-09-24_10-51-23_725.jpg

Chris,
Although I do not have the gear, stamina or skill to ride singlespeed, I did go for a ride today in your honor. My first ride in almost 2 months and I made it a point to ride to Ilgenstein Rock. I'm not really a religious man but there's a view of the NYC skyline up there and figuring since the Pope is headed that way maybe God was listening. I knelt down and said a prayer for you buddy. You're sorely missed by many. Get well man. And thanks for helping me get my riding mojo back.

View attachment 25916
That picture is awesome!

Just read the entire thread (returning from a wilderness fishing trip). I see people are sharing stories - I met Chris at a trail maintenance at chimney rock, then rode with him at the mtbnj ride @ nassau. He was behind me for a good section and me being on a loaner bike and struggling he gave me great tips and encouragement. Then I saw him last at a trail maintenance @ the sourlands a few months ago and we hiked up to the work site and back together, talking about mtbiking the whole way. He contInued to give me great tips and recos about places to ride. He is so passionate about riding and helping others enjoy the sport - it really struck me. Even after saying goodbye in the lot, he waved me down as I was driving off and gave me one more reco! What a great guy- get well soon Chris.

Over 10 thousand views in this thread. We're all coming in, reading the stories, taking in the memories and waiting for some good news. I met you for about a minute at the 6 mile group ride this summer. We need to meet again because it's clear that you're a good dude. Can't wait to!

Back
Top Bottom