Round Valley Conditions

-YETI-

Trails were great yesterday (as expected)- but just a heads up that the thorns are out and overhanging on the typical sections of the trail. Definitely recommend wearing a long sleeve jersey.

CNJRider

Joker
I rode red trail to the top of Cushetunk this afternoon. Conditions were good and you would never think we got any rain earlier in the week. Didn’t hit any mud or puddles but lots of thorns and I’ve got the scratch marks on my forearms to prove it.

Had to hike-a-bike up puke hill. Any of you guys got the legs and lungs to make it up that climb on two wheels?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I rode red trail to the top of Cushetunk this afternoon. Conditions were good and you would never think we got any rain earlier in the week. Didn’t hit any mud or puddles but lots of thorns and I’ve got the scratch marks on my forearms to prove it.

Had to hike-a-bike up puke hill. Any of you guys got the legs and lungs to make it up that climb on two wheels?

Keep riding RV and you will have the legs for anywhere in NJ.

Welcome to the board.

ps. start at the cush lot, and ride it the other way - don't go down puke.

CNJRider

Joker
Haha. Indeed. When I get home, she wonders if I tangled with another feline. Easy to mistake one type of scratch for the other.
5098092F-B5B2-4D14-B7A7-A44F39C041CF.jpeg

R.v will make anyone a goat!! This time of year riding there you do leave looking like you just had a battle with a gang of ally cats!!!! Ride on!

Mare

Lemme get some more experience with these trails and I’ll take you up on that. CR is my home park and I thought the climbs there would prep me for RV. That perception quickly evaporated! LOL
I promise the hills at RV get smaller if you ride them consistently 😂😂

CR is no joke either though!

mwlikesbikes

Lemme get some more experience with these trails and I’ll take you up on that. CR is my home park and I thought the climbs there would prep me for RV. That perception quickly evaporated! LOL
Nothing around here prepares you for puke hill dude!

CNJRider

Joker
Took a short hike in from the Cushetunk side this afternoon. Trails were fine for walking but still a bit damp in my opinion for riding. No standing water but soft and the rocks were often slick.

Attachments

• 20210710_170839.jpg
    20210710_170839.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20210710_173027.jpg
    20210710_173027.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 116

CNJRider

Joker
Also, tree down on blue. Not gonna bunny hop this one i dont think.

Attachments

• 20210710_195554.jpg
    20210710_195554.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 20210710_175036.jpg
    20210710_175036.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 113

Patrick

Staff member
Think I took care of that^^^ tree last week.

I did a recon/cleaning hike today.
Cleared the cushetunk trail (red) from the cush climb to the ridge connector.

There is a head height tree along there way, but easy to duck under

9C2B7A48-A373-42FD-8FB4-04A76FD17761.jpeg

Then took the ridge connector. Maybe three trees down along there.

At the junction to the ridge, there are another couple down..

And then another one along the ridge back to the saddle

Will try to get back Thursday or Friday

Patrick

Staff member
Took care of all the trees and "crap" on the ridge trail leading up to cush/saddle - we need a name for this - it is called the "red" trail on TF, and isn't quite correct. It isn't blazed in RV. Dang, that thing is just as hard to hike as it is to ride.

Then I walked down to the Cushetunk/red trail - rockin' rollercoaster section. ^^^That tree. Upon further review, it was dangerous.
It is all twisted, and leaning against other trees.

here is the view from the other side.

1630440920899.png

I had no way to figure out which way it wanted to go. Started to release some of the tension and there was much cracking and popping. Eventually it revealed that it was going away from this pic - Walked about 30' out of frame to the left and put an angled cut to let the trunk spring free. It was under compression, so was careful not to get the saw stuck. came back and cut out some more near the base. It was making lots of noise. I walked away to take care of the saw - 30 seconds later - look how far it jumped.

1630441118305.png

scary! glad i wasn't over there. Then the saw ran out of juice - so that is about where i left it.
with all the breaks from the twist, should be easy to remove the rest.
This is about 1,000' from the climb back to Cush.

yes, i know - fixed that good! went from something that could be ridden under, to a major log-over.
oh well!

Patrick

Staff member
Gas saw woulda been able to finish in one trip....🙄

only if i carried more gas - I was down to 1 battery by the time i arrived.
2 batteries is 1 tank of bar oil also. so no extra oil to carry.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions