Round Valley Conditions

johnnyrides

Park in the cushetunk lot - if it is full, there are spots across the railroad tracks.

About 25yards past the kiosk, up the powerline cut is the trailhead.
This is important - cause the other trail is closed until august, and you'd never want to ride up that anyway
(down is crazy!)

There isn't that much tech - it is mostly climbing, and descending.

I went around the res yesterday, because i ran out of time. Usually i do an out-n-back,
and include the ridge trail -

Yesterday

I didn't start the computer in the lot - but there is a right turn .4 of this ride that makes the climb up cush more tolerable -
It is the "Zee climb" on strava. https://www.strava.com/activities/1147024533/segments/28255512625

Usually something like

at mile 1.5 of this ride, go down the hill towards the water, not up - it doesn't ride well at all in that direction.

there is a campground road along the water, if the return trip starts to hurt too much ;)

also, with the water down, riding the rocks on the "beach" is fun - lots of features.
Thanks. Much appreciated. Went to Hartshorne today (which is perfect BTW) but will get to RV soon. First time on the mtb in about 3-4 months and felt like it today 😀

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Started at boat launch. Gate was open and able to ride across.

Rode out to construction point as we knew it would probably be muddy. Ice patch just before road crossing by switchbacks but otherwise clear.

were those trees still across the switchbacks?

Patrick

Staff member
Good collection of people out there today both riding and hiking.
Great conditions.

The trees in the switchbacks are cleared.
Couple other annoying flow inhibitors were trimmed back or cleared.
Also got the one Frank mentioned - So i present to you

Arresting Place - Sponsored by Terra Home Inspections

1616869470273.png

Hey - he paid me big bucks for naming rights.

it's near the top of puke - so a decent spot for your heart to stop.

I am worried about this branch 25' up in the air hanging in the grape vines.
It is near the private connector where all the rose whips grows into the trail.
speaking of which, they are already growing - warm, bright sun, no canopy...get the clippers ready.

1616869653241.png

Last edited:

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My timing was perfect then as conditions were stellar this afternoon, climbs still suck doe. Thanks Pat.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Good collection of people out there today both riding and hiking.
Great conditions.

The trees in the switchbacks are cleared.
Couple other annoying flow inhibitors were trimmed back or cleared.
Also got the one Frank mentioned - So i present to you

Arresting Place - Sponsored by Terra Home Inspections

View attachment 154604
Hey - he paid me big bucks for naming rights.

it's near the top of puke - so a decent spot for your heart to stop.

I am worried about this branch 25' up in the air hanging in the grape vines.
It is near the private connector where all the rose whips grows into the trail.
speaking of which, they are already growing - warm, bright sun, no canopy...get the clippers ready.

View attachment 154605
Good work, please provide a detailed plan of how you will get that tree out of the vines.

Patrick

Staff member
Good work, please provide a detailed plan of how you will get that tree out of the vines.

Hire someone.

Concise, and complete!

the pic doesn't do it justice - on the left, the branch is no longer connected to the tree.

kaitlyn

Hi peeps.
So, this is tertiary to conditions, but I'm wanting to do some wilderness camping and bike touring. Is the campground trail passable by a somewhat loaded trek 520 touring bike? It's still mostly stock. I don't really want to pedal down from the north and then find it impassable to the campgrounds.
Thanks, and my apologies if this is off-thread.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hi peeps.
So, this is tertiary to conditions, but I'm wanting to do some wilderness camping and bike touring. Is the campground trail passable by a somewhat loaded trek 520 touring bike? It's still mostly stock. I don't really want to pedal down from the north and then find it impassable to the campgrounds.
Some sections on the way to the camping area are fairly steep and rocky (up an down) so I would imagine you would have to walk some with a loaded bike. But I think you will be mostly fine. There is also a gate on the back end that you might be able to sneak out of after you camp so you don't have to climb back out.

Patrick

Staff member
Hi peeps.
You are always welcome to start a new thread.

Many people stash their stuff at the back gate and ride in with just the bike. Unloaded you should be good.

Let me know if you need someone to coordinate drop off/meeting up. I'd be glad to help. Or if you'd like to pre ride it

Kaleidopete

ROUND VALLEY RECREATION AREA​

State Park Service Overnight Facilities Update​

Effective Monday, March 22, primitive campsites, group campsites and additional tent/trailer campsites will be made available for reservations for the period starting April 1 through December 15.

Patrick

Staff member
All good for an RV loop. The wet area in the new re-route is starting to dry.
stay on the res side for a dry ride. i wouldn't worry about widening the trail there.

Patrick

Staff member
Did some TM in what i will now refer to as North RV.

This is a link from the boat launch to the town area of Lebanon.
It avoids Rt 22, if trying to make a loop out of Round Valley,
although i see @mbruno makes it look like lollipop valley.
(a play on @iman29's play...)

the trail is on the map. and it is on state land - there is permitted hunting back there,
so it is probably better to ask forgiveness than permission.

There is another typical RV trail also - straight up the hill.
It terminates at the high point above the north dam right now - and amazingly, it is not a party spot.
Will monitor for activity.

Anyway - if you need details, check my strava or dm me.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions