Ron's wife and kids are out for a month ,dont know what to do thread

antgold

Here it comes… my wife is heading tomorrow for a home leave with the kids ,leaving me alone for the entire month … so basically beside riding ,sleeping and unfortunately work I have no better things to do ….
In this thread I'm planning to share you , honored MTBNJ riders with my misery.:cry:

I hope I will be able to survive .:drooling:

I dont know about you but if I were you Id close all the blinds or you can leave them open (your choice) and run around naked. Thats just me. PARTAY!:popcorn:

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!

I will be in the same boat next August 6th....the 2nd annual "21 days..." are just a few days away, and this time it is actually 25 days :getsome:

I will sleep, ride, drink, sleep, ride, drink, etc.....I will encourage you to do the same...

use this time to try parks you normally don't ride because of the distance or races you would otherwise wouldn't do because of the time constraints....
or just catch up on all the sleep you have been missing (I dont know how old your kids are)

in any case.....enjoy!!

Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love my wife and my son, but I would die for a month with the house all to myself........... :popcorn:

I dont know about you but if I were you Id close all the blinds or you can leave them open (your choice) and run around naked. Thats just me. PARTAY!:popcorn:

Insert Tom Cruise Risky Business movie clip here... :popcorn:

"Just take those old records off the shelf
Ill sit and listen to em by myself
Todays music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock n roll"

Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love my wife and my son, but I would die for a month with the house all to myself........... :popcorn:

Me too, but they'd find me with a smile on my face.
Ron- carry bail money and someone elses ID, you won't have much to explain when she gets back:D.

Thanks for comforting me!!
This weather sucks!! Give us a break! My wife and kids stuck in the plane for an hour because of the storms passing near Newark airport.
Went to the gym, did 4 miles @ 40 min .+ some weight lifting .
Now time for shopping ….I need a spare derailleur hanger ,for the Drkhourse40 and 24 of allamuchy and a road bike …
Road bike ?! ,yep , I’m tiered from being out from the saddle for long period of time , looking backwards I think about 40% of my free time the trails around are not in a shape for MTB riding ,unable to keep the a schedule of MTB rides, I’m finding my fitness level rolling like a roller coaster –this might be even not healthy sine MTB (mainly in Harshorne ) racing my heart rate to anaerobic pace without any build up of basic fitness …but before pulling the trigger on a road bike I have to check the roads , the roads in a proximity to my home are not the safest so I considering trying to find a corridor to go south –and do my riding around 195 .
looks that on the country road around 195 there will be low traffic because 195 takes most of the load .
So this weekend I’m planning to take my hybrid bike for a 75 miles route that I found here :

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/nj/holmdel/545143574558

For the rodies here it is nothing – for me it is the longest ride I ever made …. On a 25 lb bike …anyhow , I’m taking my time – no rush , going to follow the rule of 250 cal intake per hour + some protein after 1.5 hours of riding and I believe I will be fine .

Last edited:
08/03 report

Things getting hectic here ... too much riding ...no time for posting...

Wednesday – in the Gym 4 Miles at 40 min (running and walking)

Thursday – two laps in Tatum (10 Miles) + Yoga class

Yesterday (Saturday ) - did an 80 mile loop from Holmdel to Allentown ,based on the route found in "mapmyride”-
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/nj/holmdel/545143574558

80 mile riding, 7.5 moving time 1.30 hours stopping time and 4700 calories..
I Maintained a BPM between 130 -155 .

The first 50 miles went good - I felt strong , the weather was perfect ,and found why NJ called the "garden state" the area was full from roadies … I felt strong but not so fast – as few riders on road bike took me easily without being able to catch them. At least for now I can blame my 350 $ hybrid bike ….

The last 30 mile was a struggle , my body is used for 3.5 hours saddle time and doubling that wasn’t the best approach , I should have started with a 55-65 miles with 4-5 hours riding time .
Started to have pain in both knees (never had pain during cycling !) and my butt hurts so badly ...I tried to change my position on the saddle but at certain point either position I choose didn’t bring any relief …came home completely Exhausted …grabbed some food and could get some nap without any family obligation .

Sunday – today me and a friend went to “howe caverns” in NY state , it was nice cool (and dry ... ) place,
but nothing to write home about if comparing it to Luray Caverns in Virgina . …http://www.howecaverns.com/
Looks I got a nice recovery from yesterday – my legs felt a bit “soft “ but didn't suffer from muscle pain or cramps and could sit in the car for 8 hours to get there and going back home ...:D

:popcorn:Now the big question - which road bike to buy ?

Attachments

• IMG_1248.JPG
    IMG_1248.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
You did 80 miles son a hybrid??

Holy hell batman!

If you interested, you should come by this week for a bike fit. You can get a better idea of what might suit your body and what you need to spend.

Call ahead for a time slot.

Good luck either way.

732-329-9022

This week I'm hitting the 3000Km (1800 miles ) mark on my Titus .
From Israel Negev desert plains to sea side rides in Hartshorne
From cool summer nights rides around Jerusalem to Ringwood rocky singles
From all-year-green Mount Carmel to snow covered trails in allaire
Regardless for the geographical Location ,Mountain biking brings me back to my childhood ...

Here is a link to a talented photographer from his MTB rides in Israel:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilanshacham/sets/72157609425743098/show/

Last edited:
current status :

Car odometer since my wife left : 55 miles
Mtb : ~45 miles
Hybrid : 116

Total on the bike : 156 miles

somehow need to figure out how to keep the ratio with the miles driving to darkhorse40 ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom