Road gravel tires

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Had G-One Allround, blew one off the rim with a compressor and fucked up the bead. Tried the Spesh Pathfinder Pro's and haven't looked back since. Road, gravel of the Bedminster persuasion, Columbia Trail, Patriots Path, Six Mile (only when bone dry with these). Good on all.

The_Mountainside_Menace

surprised no one has recommended the conti terra speeds. They are very nice too. Good suggestions so far, covering all types of terrain. The next one I'm going to try is the Maxxis receptor.

Last edited:

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Following. Just have to be honest and admit to myself where I actually ride my gravel bike the most.

JonF

Do you know what sort of unpaved road surfaces you'd be riding on? I've seen everything from slick tires with barely a printed on tread to XC-ish tires all marketed as grevel tires so there's a huge spectrum to suit your roads. I'm personally building up a gravel rig for the vast network of hard pack sand roads and picked up some Vittoria Terreno Dry's per the recommendation of someone who also rides the area.

iLuveketchup

Going to try the Pathfinder Pro 700x42. It's going to be a 60/40 road to gravel while here. But planning on bike packing White Rim Trail, AZ, and jungles of Asia. Hopefully, it won't be too much of a drag while on the road.

Edit: Had to double check if they were hookless compatible and they are. Gravel noob question, are most modern gravel tires hookless compatible?

Last edited:

Ian F

I'm also running the G-One, based on a recommendation from jdog. No complaints for how I use the bike, which is almost entirely on the road. It's a fairly narrow version at 28c, because my older Grade doesn't have the best tire clearance (it was probably good 7+ years ago). It amuses me how the new pure-road bike I'm considering has clearance for larger tires than my "gravel/all-road" bike.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Specialized pathfinder looks like a great tire and the WTB "all terrain" looks less roadlike but i like the tread pattern.

One day i might do a 25 mile 95% road ride the next 50 miles 50/50 road gravel. A tire that i won't feel like i'm killing it if i'm riding road.

I am not averse to just riding a chubby slick either
Schwalbe g one speed

Flow

over last few years have had all the usual suspects. Now riding Tufo Speedero in a 40 and it is the BEST of the bunch for my riding 60/30/10 (road/gravel/singletrack)

iman29

I had the GravelKing SKs for a bunch of miles but was greatly disappointed when the rear tire started seeping sealant From all
Over the place and the center lugs weren’t even that worn out yet.

Tried the Terravail Washburns on sale plus Free99 with Amex points. I read all the reviews for these and everyone said the lighter version is very prone to flats which is not what I want running tubeless on gravel. I got the more durable version but I should have checked the specs because they are much heavier.

I’ve gotten used to them now and the smooth center tread does roll pretty well. Im still considering swapping for something else.

100C7A63-BEB2-4014-9C43-B8CAA4EEBB6B.jpeg
61F5EE3C-5428-49B5-95C9-BCD02001926E.png

iman29

I had the GravelKing SKs for a bunch of miles but was greatly disappointed when the rear tire started seeping sealant From all
Over the place and the center lugs weren’t even that worn out yet.

Tried the Terravail Washburns on sale plus Free99 with Amex points. I read all the reviews for these and everyone said the lighter version is very prone to flats which is not what I want running tubeless on gravel. I got the more durable version but I should have checked the specs because they are much heavier.

I’ve gotten used to them now and the smooth center tread does roll pretty well. Im still considering swapping for something else.

View attachment 210124View attachment 210125
Ok after my first gravel ride in a while
I’ve decided these Washburns have too much weight and rolling resistance. These are probably better for commuting or the casual gravel rider but I ride longer distances like Bedminster/Columbia Trail type surfaces which means I need to sometimes ride the roads a bit between gravel sections.

Flipping thru blog here I will spend this week to compare the following:

WTB byway
Pirelli Cinturato H
Tufo Speedero/Thundero
Spesh Pathfinder Pro Sworks (even if it’s cross branding to my Trek Checkpoint).

Seems easy to pic the spesh tires right off the bat but this time I need to compare a bit better especially the weight.

Top Bottom