Road gravel tires

Ironjunk

Specialized pathfinder looks like a great tire and the WTB "all terrain" looks less roadlike but i like the tread pattern.

One day i might do a 25 mile 95% road ride the next 50 miles 50/50 road gravel. A tire that i won't feel like i'm killing it if i'm riding road.

I am not averse to just riding a chubby slick either

Last edited:

ekuhn

I rock these at 44x700c. Very smooth yet grippy on the gravel.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Specialized Roubaix fits the bill if the gravel isn't too gnarly. the 30/32 version gets plenty fat on wide rims (I think they are 35mm wide on some of my rims)
The Pathfinder does roll well and is plenty fast on the road too. It doesn't "feel" fast but the data doesn't lie!

The Kalmyk

I rock these at 44x700c. Very smooth yet grippy on the gravel.

Double down on Mr. Kuhn’s recco

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Not that rolling resistance is everything but you can get lost on this site:

"We don't consider the WTB Byway a "Fast Rolling" tire especially when we take into consideration that this tire has a slick center tread which attracts riders that want a fast-rolling tire."

ekuhn

Not that rolling resistance is everything but you can get lost on this site:

"We don't consider the WTB Byway a "Fast Rolling" tire especially when we take into consideration that this tire has a slick center tread which attracts riders that want a fast-rolling tire."
You're assuming I'm fast?

Ironjunk

My current gravel set are vittoria randonnuers. They have a smooth pattern but happen to have a 30w rolling resistance per tire, it's terrible.

Chris(NJ)

Ive tried a bunch. Was very happy with Riddlers. Panaracer SK never failed me. SS is also fine... More aggressive tires, I think Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M were my favorites and roll pretty quick imo. I didn't love the Gravel H. I'm going to try the RC's this season.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I have the Soma Shikoro 42s on my cross/gravel bike. I love them for the road and light gravel. Not great for slick stuff since they have almost no tread, but perfect for what I do with the bike.

1679611860767.png

P.S. Great looking tire also.

1679612046607.png

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Pathfinders are the classic go to. The smooth center strip feels like an actual road tire when on pavement. I've been riding the new Tracers and they're dope too.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ive tried a bunch. Was very happy with Riddlers. Panaracer SK never failed me. SS is also fine... More aggressive tires, I think Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M were my favorites and roll pretty quick imo. I didn't love the Gravel H. I'm going to try the RC's this season.
I'll second the Pirelli Cinturato gravel M
I run the 38mm they roll fast on pavement. Plenty of traction on the dirt.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I choose gravel tires to perform well on gravel and dirt, with occasional rock. 😉
Cool, I'm kind of on the opposite side, where I'm mostly riding road or gravel roads with this bike. Only occasionally venture onto dirt or single-track type trails. Switching to the more "slick" type tire made riding the road with this bike much more enjoyable.

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m a big fan of Schwalbe G One Allround
76BA87B7-C577-4564-BFE1-729794BD986D.jpeg

They roll damn well on pavement and just enough grip for gravel and dirt.
Got a lot of road segment PRs on these.
They only suck in mud, but that’s gonna be true of everything being discussed here.
Plus you shouldn’t ride mud.

Top Bottom