Ringwood State Park Conditions

We got about 6" of wet snow Friday. Last night is froze into "popcorn" but no hard crust to ride on. Today it os back to "mush" with a few bare spots, filled with mud. I would not call this rideable, but if you try, prepare for a real workout.

As of 3/15 snow is gone but some freeze/thaw is in effect, so please try to ride early while trails are frozen, and stay high the next few days. :)

Sweet conditions today.....Red was 1/4" -1/2" of snow on hard dirt. Warm Puppy to Skylands to pipeline had a dusting on hard-to-crunchy dirt. Followed Ellen's advice and did the latter first since it was lower down and remained frozen most of the early morning. Headed up Red and back down in the late morning, wrapped up by 12:30 at Ryerson. Only soft conditions I encountered was the 100 yard stretch along the fence at Ryerson immediately before finishing the ride.

I hiked into RW from TOS today and there is still a bit of snow. Maybe a fat bike would work when temps are below freezing. It is crusty on top and super slushy underneath. Also the ground is real wet underneath. My impression is that it may NOT be ideal this weekend if it warms up. :cry:

Most the snow is gone! Trails pretty dry, only a few soft spots, as expected. Should dry out in a few days. :)

Mint today

Group of us today. School, warm puppy (got permission from gasline guys to ride short fire road stretch), skylands, "old skylands" trail down to fire road (checked with the Gasline folks...trucks not imminent), past the old house and on up to Piersons, blue, white, yellow, red back to school. Solid, no mud, so soft spots, great shape.

I'm not sure if this was reported already but just in case. I encounter a large blow-down on 6 bridges today. Its location is a few yards before the last bridge.
I would say it's in the 24" diameter range.

So I banged out a quick 1hr ride yesterday. Up skylands and back down and to new white. Thanks to the two guys who pointed me to the new white. It's a nice n quick long descent. Thanks you. I rode up it from Boulder Way and then back down to Defiance. The bottom was a bit mucky. Skylands was good.

First time riding from Lot C. I think I prefer the School start. I like the built up anticipation riding to the awesome trails

Last edited:
As of Sunday Dec 22, most the snow has melted. Snow, ice and water linger in low lying areas. I only walked the Skylands trail and it was better than I expcted. With warm temps and rain predicted tomorrow, the park may not get a chance to fully dry out. Hopefully things will improve when it freezes up, but expect some ice.

Please follow the usual winter warnings by avoiding thaw during freeze/thaw, especially on new trail construction and low lying areas. Thanks! :)

As of Jan 17, freeze thaw conditions are in affect. Wet areas are still saturated, until a big several day freeze. Best riding conditions are early mornings after cold nights. The new white trails should be avoided unless frozen solid.

Any opinion on whether anything will be rideable this weekend? Ringwood fire roads? Anything at all. Non Fat bike that is.

Doubt it. we have a good amount of snow in greenwood lake and it melted just enough to refreeze into a fine crust.

Thank the Snowmobiles! Ringwood was awesome yesterday. I was able to follow tracks up past the airplane field, Weyble and up to pipeline. Then the pipeline up to Piersons and down the steep part. Even able to follow white where white is on fire road. Anything untouched was unrideable. The only hard part was the downhill section that cats nest dumps into, it must have melted a bit and glazed over.

Thank the Snowmobiles! Ringwood was awesome yesterday. I was able to follow tracks up past the airplane field, Weyble and up to pipeline. Then the pipeline up to Piersons and down the steep part. Even able to follow white where white is on fire road. Anything untouched was unrideable. The only hard part was the downhill section that cats nest dumps into, it must have melted a bit and glazed over.

Agree!!! I was there too, later afternoon. It seemed glazed and icy in spots and I had on studs but the ride was really killer, went out of Lot C. How was the riding without studs - I thought it might be too slick? When do you get to ride ringwood and call it fast and flowy with no rocks? !!

If its going to be warm I would think early is best, those snowmobile tracks rocked !! I took the pipeline all the way down to Bear Swamp but its an out and back as the fire road back was not really ridable.

Sounds like we talked maybe at lot c. No studs worked for most of the ride, but my front tire did want to follow the x cntry ski grooves. However the glazed parts on the ridge and the fire road down were tough. Lots of falls. Not sure what tomorrow brings. Tried a test ride behind the house tonight and it was unrideable.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions