Ringwood State Park Conditions

onetracker

From Skyline Drive

From the pipline terminus parking lot off skyline on cannonball has a bunch of trees down. Cleared a bunch with the old hand saw but really did not make it very far...only approx 3 miles in 1.5hrs.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Morris Rd has been cleared but the park is still working on Sherpherds rd and inspecting forest roads. Park is open but trails remain closed as of last night. They should open very shortly. Jorba plans to go in and start clearing deadfall next week. Sorry for the delay, but things got pushed back a few days with the snow.

We may be looking for an extra swamper that is available during the week and is comfortable riding in on technical trails. Please pm me.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Trail Updates as of Sunday:

- Cleared:

Ringwood-Ramapo Trail (red) from Warm Puppy to yellow/Cannonball north of Top of Skyline Drive has been cleared of all major fallen trees, and is good to go.

Catsnest trail has been cleared as well.

Double s has a reroute flagged around some big trees. Not sure when we will get back to that, but you should be ale to navigate around.

- Trails that still need to get cleared and are in bad condition:

Race course by Shepherds Lake
Skylands Trail
North end of Ringwood-Ramapo near Skylands intersection
Cooper Union between Morris and Carltondale

Thanks to all that have been helping with the clearing!!!

gingertooth

hey Ellen, if you could message me when your planning on going back in that would be great. I'd like to help you out if i have time.....

Steve B

I tried to register for the next chainsaw course being planned by the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference but they told me it is restricted to "active members of their group"...oh well...I tried. I guess hikers clear trail better than bikers.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I'll try my best to keep updating info on here:

http://diggingthedirtnj.blogspot.com/2012/11/sandy-clean-up-continues.html

For this Sunday, in short: We will split into several groups. Sayer and swamper in several groups, one by bike and one by foot. The third group of 5 or more trail builders will be needed to walk in with tools to perform some re-routes around hanging trees. Of course, this is Ringwood, so it will not be rake and go, but full on construction with rock work and bench cutting. The end result should be better than before. :)

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Thanks to 22 volunteers that came out and put in 116 hours to clear trails and build re-routes where up-rooted trees took the trail with them. Race Trail is clear all the way down to Whites Rd, and Skylands Trail all the way out on Ringwood-Ramapo to top of Skyline Drive is now clear and good to ride. :)

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
As of Nov 29, Ringwood still has some snow on the ground on west facing slopes. .. maybe 2-3 inches, but rideable. The trail in the field across from lot C will get soft in the afternoons and should be avoided.

Steve B

Right now....wet snow in most areas, but more like slush. Very saturated and muddy underneath. Freezing solid as I write this.

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Started out at TOS this morning at 8:30 and was back to car by 8:40. Breakable crust and 3-5" of snow made for suck conditions. Tires just sank in the snow and the crust held onto tire...0 flow.
Maybe one of those fat boys might be better in breakable crust but i'm not sure.

Steve B

Sorry if my conditions report misled you. When I wrote it, the snow was still wet and I guess my use of the word "solid" was overly optimistic. You got in 10 more minutes of riding than I have for over two weeks, so there is that...LOL

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was itching to get to skyline, I should have known better. Wet snow that freezes is useless. It forms a breakable crust that you sink in which makes biking or skiing on it suck. If that stuff compacts more or thins out it would be good to go.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was itching to get to skyline, I should have known better. Wet snow that freezes is useless. It forms a breakable crust that you sink in which makes biking or skiing on it suck. If that stuff compacts more or thins out it would be good to go.

Only if someone told u conditions might be suspect. ;-)

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Only if someone told u conditions might be suspect. ;-)

now u know how my wife feels...i don't listen to no one bitch.:getsome:

clint-eastwood.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions