Ringwood State Park Conditions

onetracker

Condition are changing, when I was there cleaning up those fallen trees (it was worse) the trail was pretty solid, I was actually surprised, it may have been colder though.
Thanks for trimming that tree back. I agree that conditions are constantly changing. It was probably 35 degrees when I was hiking earlier this week, can’t remember if it was Mon or Tue. Still saw a bunch of riders surfing the grease. Not trying to be a hater or get on the soap box, just calling it how I saw it.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Those muddy sections on the race course are due to being new, and on a slope that gets the least sun. Everything else at Ringwood was in much better shape. The higher stuff like red and yellow heading toward TOS were perfect. Skylands had a few soft spots, as did the bottom of white, but everything else was pretty great. Doesn't matter much now with the rain coming tomorrow though.
Despite what the Lorax of Ringwood is saying, conditions over the weekend were likely as good as its going to be for a while. Anyone who knows the park knows where its going to be drier vs. less dry. The muddy spots pictured are usually always the muddy spots because they don't drain as well. Again, anyone who rides there regularly knows where they are. On the whole, it was much drier than I expected. Yes, it will rain again today and will need a day or 2 to dry out. Everyone can also be sensible, walk your bike around the obviously muddy parts to minimize damage, you're supposed to be doing this anyway, Strava will give you a pass. Anyone waiting for Ringwood to be mud-free will need to wait until July. Lets chill with the doom and gloom. We're riding bikes in the woods, there will usually always be some sort of mud and dirt.

onetracker

Sometimes it seems like such a total waste of time posting. The Jester of Ringwood thinks the trails will be dry enough to ride after 1” of rain with the existing moisture in the soil in a day or two. You are right, I picked the two wettest sections of trail in the entire park for my photos. I can totally see why other trail users think mountain bikers cause trail damage.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Sometimes it seems like such a total waste of time posting. The Jester of Ringwood thinks the trails will be dry enough to ride after 1” of rain with the existing moisture in the soil in a day or two. You are right, I picked the two wettest sections of trail in the entire park for my photos. I can totally see why other trail users think mountain bikers cause trail damage.
Give me a break, if you actually rode last weekend you’d know it wasn’t so bad. I won’t name trails, but I did close to a 9mile ride and it was 99% dry. The wettest parts of the ride was out of the lot and on the fire road connectors. As far as the rain is concerned and how conditions will be, well, we‘ll have to see how much rain falls, how quickly things dry out, etc. It’s been close to 2 weeks with no significant precip of any type. We’ll have to use that thing no one uses anymore called judgement. Riding on Friday? Obviously no. Saturday, unlikely, depends on how much rain falls. Beyond that, judgement.

As a complete aside, I find most trail condition reports to be BS. Everyone wants to minimize traffic at their favorite places, which is understandable. No one focuses on trail etiquette like yielding to the uphill rider, hiker, etc., or getting off of your bike and just walking around an obvious mud bog to minimize damage, which is where the focus should be. People are going to ride whether you want them to or not, if anything hammer the etiquette into their heads.

onetracker

Totally agree on Judgement calls. I am making different calls than you based on what I am seeing. Again, I respectfully disagree. I hiked last weekend and saw a bunch of ruts and freeze thaw. We had over a foot of snow on the ground 2 weeks ago. I have been driving south during the week to ride. Trust me, I would prefer to drive 15 mins to Rwood vs 1:15 to Allaire. Do what ever you want; but don’t get the ball rolling on flip name calling because I disagree with your POV. This is my last post on this; we will probably not agree. I just hate to see some of the ruts and trail widening that I saw. Bums me out. Peace out.

serviceguy

I respectfully disagree. Those sections are not at all new (some of the oldest trails in the park; I know because I helped build them with RVCC in the 90’s) and were quite representative of the conditions on the Shephards Lake side of the park.
The new sections are on the other side of old morris rd between the two crossings of the pipeline.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Totally agree on Judgement calls. I am making different calls than you based on what I am seeing. Again, I respectfully disagree. I hiked last weekend and saw a bunch of ruts and freeze thaw. We had over a foot of snow on the ground 2 weeks ago. I have been driving south during the week to ride. Trust me, I would prefer to drive 15 mins to Rwood vs 1:15 to Allaire. Do what ever you want; but don’t get the ball rolling on flip name calling because I disagree with your POV. This is my last post on this; we will probably not agree. I just hate to see some of the ruts and trail widening that I saw. Bums me out. Peace out.
You know, we are not as far apart philosophically as you think. Truth be told, I hate getting muddy. I take no pleasure in, or have any desire to come back to the car covered head to toe in mud, with every bend, pulley, and crevice of my bike packed with it such that I need to spend 2 hours cleaning and lubricating. If there is any chance of that happening, I’ll ride road instead. As far as the ruts and trail widening, I think we both know there is way more to that issue than just riding through the mud.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Truth be told, I hate getting muddy.

This is the start & end of any conversation for me personally. I do not get worked up about people riding in the mud. I get that people have limited time & opportunity. And sometimes they drive an hour. And so on. I may not agree with it, but I get it. I would prefer they not do it, but I get it.

However I personally really hate riding in the mud. I think it sucks from an enjoyment perspective, as well as a cleanliness perspective. Trail damage is yet another issue to toss on that pile.

Froggy

Special Thanks to Service Guy for cutting up that tree on the lower white crossover! That was a lot of wood. Easier to get over now anyway. Was back there Tuesday and it was really nice with some frozen areas and only a trace of mud. Snow all gone and rain now but should be fine in a few days. Some well designed trails in there that drain quite well.

serviceguy

I did a recon of race trail, skylands, ringwood-ramapo and warm puppy...race trail is a mess, the new sections are especially wet and there are two massive trees blocking the trail (even though has been ridden around), some big wet areas on Skylands while ringwood-Rama po and warm puppy have been holding remarkably well.

Ghost91

@cassinonorth and I checked out Ringwood today

Trail conditions were awesome (perfectly dry). Saw a few other riders out exploring too. Great times, although the legs were a bit gassed after yesterdays Group Ride at Stephens....one hell of an MTB weekend...thats for certain!

IMG_5398.jpg
IMG_5412.JPG
IMG_5413.JPG

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions