Ringwood State Park Conditions

Mr.Moto

Any update?
Surprisingly solid in a lot of places. Probably 80 to 90% rideable up to pierson's. Fast and grippy in a lot of places. But where it is soft especially on trails with southern exposure, it is tough riding. Will likely firm up again overnight. Go early in the morning.

serviceguy

Surprisingly solid in a lot of places. Probably 80 to 90% rideable up to pierson's. Fast and grippy in a lot of places. But where it is soft especially on trails with southern exposure, it is tough riding. Will likely firm up again overnight. Go early in the morning.
Mmmm, later in the day lots of water and mud, lines need to be chosen carefully on the snow to get traction (I was on the el mariachi with 29x2.6, not the fat bike) and avoid a Kerrigan's performance.

Regardless, the biggest hazard out there is dog poop, hands down! Never seen so much on the trails. Yesterday I hiked to Warm Puppy with the wife and it was a poop-a-looza festival, especially near the school. I guess dog owners expect their pets' poop to dissolve on contact with the white stuff, a-holes!

Cannonbill

Still about a week away, at best in Ringwood. These were taken yesterday. Sunny spots are bare, shaded spots are still surprisingly deep. I bet is it is 90 percent gone by end of the weekend, and then some time for the trail to dryout.

Attachments

• 3D7D984D-B97C-4539-90A3-FD3326660D8A.jpeg
    3D7D984D-B97C-4539-90A3-FD3326660D8A.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 07965403-4748-4735-A72F-82B835398BCA.jpeg
    07965403-4748-4735-A72F-82B835398BCA.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 137

serviceguy

I've been hiking the race trail and warm puppy yesterday with the wife. There are still wet patches but mostly nice, the wind and temperature dried the heck out of it. Stay on the upper trails, lower fire roads are a wet mess still.

Mr.Moto

Rode from the schoolhouse trail out to lot c, over to crossover then to shepard's lake, up the race trail, skylands, warm puppy and back on schoolhouse. I would say 95% good to go. Very few muddy spots. Rocks actually felt grippy. Surprised how dry it was.

It seemed like half the bikes at the school were fat. Who said fat bikes are dead. Although you didn't need one today.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Race course, just above shephards lake boathouse.

Those muddy sections on the race course are due to being new, and on a slope that gets the least sun. Everything else at Ringwood was in much better shape. The higher stuff like red and yellow heading toward TOS were perfect. Skylands had a few soft spots, as did the bottom of white, but everything else was pretty great. Doesn't matter much now with the rain coming tomorrow though.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I need to see if Pat is just deleting things everywhere or just the 1 thread.

He deleted my post that was just straight up facts that anyone could Google. I think the power has gone to his head.

onetracker

Those muddy sections on the race course are due to being new, and on a slope that gets the least sun. Everything else at Ringwood was in much better shape. The higher stuff like red and yellow heading toward TOS were perfect. Skylands had a few soft spots, as did the bottom of white, but everything else was pretty great. Doesn't matter much now with the rain coming tomorrow though.
I respectfully disagree. Those sections are not at all new (some of the oldest trails in the park; I know because I helped build them with RVCC in the 90’s) and were quite representative of the conditions on the Shephards Lake side of the park. People keep saying the RSP has been mostly dry but I did not see that beyond some of the trails over by Ryerson. What I did see were a ton of ruts created by bike tires which is disappointing. But you are right, the 1” of rain forecasted for tomorrow will delay drying progress.

I agree that the trails between Rwood and TOS are some of the rockiest in the state and face south. I also agree those always dry out first. These trails are my go to after rain storms. Those trails do not get ridden by a huge portion of riders because they are hard with no real bailouts. So when folks indicate that Rwood is good to go, folks drive up there and ride despite the trails being wet and frost heaved. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

onetracker

One more note: in photo #1, not far from the Alligator, look at how greasy the dirt is...my hiking shoes were totally caked with mud. I saw those same conditions in many spots. I want to ride as much as anybody BTW.

serviceguy

One more note: in photo #1, not far from the Alligator, look at how greasy the dirt is...my hiking shoes were totally caked with mud. I saw those same conditions in many spots. I want to ride as much as anybody BTW.
Condition are changing, when I was there cleaning up those fallen trees (it was worse) the trail was pretty solid, I was actually surprised, it may have been colder though.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
You mean like forever? Like is Ringwood going to wash away?

I need to see if Pat is just deleting things everywhere or just the 1 thread.
He deleted my post that was just straight up facts that anyone could Google. I think the power has gone to his head.

I can probably find the post/rules where @Norm outlines that posts must be on-topic, and contribute to discussion...

Was considering turning on moderation for that thread, that way all posts need to be approved.

stay-on-target-gif.gif

serviceguy

I can probably find the post/rules where @Norm outlines that posts must be on-topic, and contribute to discussion...

Was considering turning on moderation for that thread, that way all posts need to be approved.

stay-on-target-gif.gif
what thread are we talking about now?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions