Rhino Closed ? New Trail - Baboon ?

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Tom, on the original subject of the thread. Has or will Rhino be officially re-opened?

Pat, we are working on a re-route in bounds of the Jungle Habitat Property. What this means is, we're going to lose a lot of trail. Jeff and I have been scouting lines, and I'm sure Dave is out there as well.

There will be a hard close of parts of rhino after we work out the re-route.

JerseyPete

I was under the impression that JH was cleaned up and maintained by JORBA. Is that inaccurate or did something change that caused the loss of use for some of the trails?

Dirt Dawg

Bleeder - post up when you are going scouting / marking out the new re-route. I would be happy to help out if I am available when you go.

Soundz - thanks for the follow up ! My next attempt will be to re-trace my steps (while the section West of Awosting Road from Dead Mans curve to Green Turltle, is pretty much destroyed by quads, it beats riding on the road), take lake to lake all the way to Blue Lake/Dump Truck, then take Beech Road back down past Monksville and then find a cut in that appears to be not marked as hiking only on the south side of GL Turnpike. I think Yellow is marked Hiking only, but I think the Blue is not designated as hiking only, there are also plenty of unmarked roads that I am sure will lead back towards Jungle.

Bleeder

I was under the impression that JH was cleaned up and maintained by JORBA. Is that inaccurate or did something change that caused the loss of use for some of the trails?

Yes, When we built Rhino we mistakenly went out of Jungle Habitat's property. Now we need to get the trail entirely back in the borders of Jungle Habitat.

Bleeder

Bleeder - post up when you are going scouting / marking out the new re-route. I would be happy to help out if I am available when you go.

Dirt, For now the only days on the weekends are Saturdays. I ski patrol on Sundays but that will be shutting down in a couple of weeks.

You know none of this is official by any means. More like a wish list kind of thing.

jimf

Pat, we are working on a re-route in bounds of the Jungle Habitat Property. What this means is, we're going to lose a lot of trail. Jeff and I have been scouting lines, and I'm sure Dave is out there as well.

There will be a hard close of parts of rhino after we work out the re-route.

Rhino is on top of the main ridgeline, I have a hard time believing that it crosses onto private property. Is it the horn bit hats a problem? I am only basing this on riding, but it appears that warthog is much closer to the mountain circle development as opposed to Rhino but with the oddball way properties lines are cut I guess its possible.

Its really too bad to see this get blocked, it was some of the finest single track around, it will be missed.

Bleeder

Soundz - thanks for the follow up ! My next attempt will be to re-trace my steps (while the section West of Awosting Road from Dead Mans curve to Green Turltle, is pretty much destroyed by quads, it beats riding on the road), take lake to lake all the way to Blue Lake/Dump Truck, then take Beech Road back down past Monksville and then find a cut in that appears to be not marked as hiking only on the south side of GL Turnpike. I think Yellow is marked Hiking only, but I think the Blue is not designated as hiking only, there are also plenty of unmarked roads that I am sure will lead back towards Jungle.

The footbridge at the furnace was washed out in Irene. I'm not sure if there is a replacement yet.
An alternative to crossing to the south of GWL Tpke would be to head up East Shore a short distance and take the trail back into Green Turtle. It's another brutal climb. but there's a whole other section of Green Turtle.

crash

According to NYNJTC the washed out bridge over the Wanaque has not been replaced.
The teal trail that heads north from guard rail on the GLW Tpke to the NY State line is part of the Highlands trail. I am not sure that riding is permitted. Across the street from guard rail that is the starting point of the Hewitt to Butler trail, blue blazes. This climbs and traverses the ridge line southward with JH below it to the west and crosses from Long Pond Ironworks SP to Norvin Green SP. Has there been any consideration linking that with JH to make up for other lost trail access?

Bleeder

According to NYNJTC the washed out bridge over the Wanaque has not been replaced.
The teal trail that heads north from guard rail on the GLW Tpke to the NY State line is part of the Highlands trail. I am not sure that riding is permitted. Across the street from guard rail that is the starting point of the Hewitt to Butler trail, blue blazes. This climbs and traverses the ridge line southward with JH below it to the west and crosses from Long Pond Ironworks SP to Norvin Green SP. Has there been any consideration linking that with JH to make up for other lost trail access?

No, We have better stuff planned than the Hewitt Butler. It's in all our best interests to stay off existing hiking trails as much as possible.

crash

we'll all look forward to the new routes.
one of my favorite walks is on the other side of hewitt butler: the burn't meadow road to horse pond mountain to harrison mountain (stonetown circular)
where do you ski patrol? i used to instruct at windham.

Robin

was out today - I've only been to JH for races...first time on Rhino and Baboon today (thanks Ellen!). Having a snow cover made Rhino interesting - but fun!

loved loved loved Baboon!

gingertooth

is Rhino ever getting am add-on since half of it was lost? i went in there last week and see that the homeowner decided to start cutting live trees down with his chainsaw? Is that Legal??

gtluke

The Moped
If it's on his property, yeah. But that's bogus. I haven't heard of any plans to expand our again, it's all about boulderama now

John Baumann

Looks like Rhino is officially closed.

State Park signs on Otterslide say "STAY ON TRAIL" then at entrance to Rhino- "TRAIL CLOSED"

I stayed off and made up for the loss by doing Boulderdash in both directions.

Great work out there fellas; hopefully I'll be able to join you for TM one of these Tuesdays.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions