Rhino Closed ? New Trail - Baboon ?

Dirt Dawg

Hi - I was up at Jungle Habitat today, and Rhino was closed about 150 - 200 yards in ? Just after large downed tree. Anybody know what is going on?

Also - while there, met two guys who pointed us to the new trail that follows the line of the Baboon Cage - AWESOME TRAILWORK - Thank You. And, it is really well thought out as it puts you out onto the powerline just above the yellow that leads to dump truck hill, or you can track back the yellow to lower chute.

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Crazy, I saw that today too. There didnt seem to be any flooding or downed trees. I missed that new trail but hit that yellow trail back from the powerlines with the pink markers which is either new or newly washed out, very burly.

Any idea where the Skunk trail is? Saw a sign off of Warthog pointing to it but couldnt find it.

xc62701

There is a nearby landowner that has been complaining of riders on/near his property. I don't know the specifics but it's better off not riding until it can be resolved and enjoy the other trails.

Dirt Dawg

I will, as we all should, respect the trail closure, because there is plenty for us to ride at the Jungle. -
BUT - Give me Break ! ! - I am so sick of hearing about this kind of stuff. Our Mountain Bikes make no noise, and we leave what - a 2-3" wide trail - in fact yesterday, I lost the trail several times and had to backtrack to pick it back up. Tell this landowner moron to take a look at the PowerLine Cuts. I guess it was better before the Mountain Bikers came in and cleaned up the park - because then everybody there was trespassing and the place was a garbage dump. My advice to JORBA is to have the landowner bring in a surveyor and stake out his land - we will stay off of it. Real Simple Solution.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Any idea where the Skunk trail is? Saw a sign off of Warthog pointing to it but couldnt find it.

Skunk is meant to be a bypass for the muddy sections of Warthog when we get hit with a lot of rain. It pops out into the parking lot and regardless of which direction you're riding just cut straight across the lot and you should pick up another sign along the treeline where you can re-enter Warthog.

HumanVise

I will, as we all should, respect the trail closure, because there is plenty for us to ride at the Jungle. -
BUT - Give me Break ! ! - I am so sick of hearing about this kind of stuff. Our Mountain Bikes make no noise, and we leave what - a 2-3" wide trail - in fact yesterday, I lost the trail several times and had to backtrack to pick it back up. Tell this landowner moron to take a look at the PowerLine Cuts. I guess it was better before the Mountain Bikers came in and cleaned up the park - because then everybody there was trespassing and the place was a garbage dump. My advice to JORBA is to have the landowner bring in a surveyor and stake out his land - we will stay off of it. Real Simple Solution.

Wonder how many quads this guy has in his garage? The Homeowner that is. I honestly don't know how you could get anywhere near his property if you stay on the trail.

Last edited:

Dirt Dawg

Agreed totally. I say we should all stay off, and let the powers that be fix things. We accomplish two things - 1. We show that we respect our trails, and - 2. I looked at my GPS Tracks, and unless Garmin's Basemaps are wrong, Rhino is all within Park Property, so we will be back on the Rhino pretty soon.
But this string also has me longing for taking the doubletrack that leads southeast out of the park and up to the powerlines. Even the Powerlines, which usually are no fun, were pretty nice to ride in that area. That was always a great area to ride, and now is is marked as no tresspassing too.

I had read in another string (below from 5/9/2010) that the "Blue" Trail that leads out that way is Mountain Bike Legal, or Multi-Purpose. Does anybody have any information on that ?
I'm not sure if I took the right fireroad or not, but well, turns out there is a teal colored trail blazes which starts towards the south and runs North all the way up to the powerlines .. the trail is very well marked. Did some research when I got back home and turns out the trail is part of the Long Pond Ironworks. According to NYNJTC, you can mountain bike there:

http://www.nynjtc.org/park/long-pond-ironworks-state-park

Towards the end, where the powerline is, there were some signs saying that trails were temporarily closed, but it looked like they were pointing more at some washed out fireroad and not the teal trail. The teal trail is a mix of ridable rockiness, unridable rockiness, some smooth stuff - kinda reminds me of the yellow trail from skyline heading up to ringwood, but more sucky - there's a bunch of good rock features though. All single-track. There was too much hike-a-bike and enough downed trees to get any kind of flow going. There was this one cool lookout facing Ringwood with a nice roller:

ironworks.20100509.001.jpg

ironworks.20100509.003.jpg

ironworks.20100509.004.jpg

A bit after the lookout, there was a split to the yellow trail (which seems to head East toward the lake), but I kept on following the teal:

ironworks.20100509.005.jpg

It got kind of weird once I hit the powerline and I was running out of time, so I just looked for the fastest way to the road which was through a construction vehicle type of yard. GPS (I started it around where the teal trail starts/ends on the South side):

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32798985

It would be nice if Jorba can get in here since it already links to JH :D
[/QUOTE]

rayder

can someone tell me where to pick up baboon. is there an updated map. very disappointed to hear about rhino. going to jh tomorrow

Dirt Dawg

The best way I can explain is to take orange from the top of mountain. When you get to Tiger section (you cross 2 or 3 paved roads) headed towards Fish look for a fence that has corrugated steel along the top (to keep the baboons in?). You will come to a section where you see the trail peel off to the right. There is a cut in the fence and you can see some small orange flags on the ground. Thats it. Follow it all the way to the powerline, go left cross the paved road and look for a very hard to pick up singlettrack in about the middle of the cut. This will lead you into yellow off to tyhe left. Stay on yellow and you come down to lower chute (left on road then right into lower chute)

Bleeder

I'm working on the new map. Still need to dial in Boon and changes to dump truck from thr pipeline work.

Dirt Dawg

Let me know if my gps track would help you. I am happy to share. I have otterslide across the top to baboon and back down yellow.

Bleeder

Let me know if my gps track would help you. I am happy to share. I have otterslide across the top to baboon and back down yellow.

Sure I usually layer up multiple tracks and then clean it up for the map.

The delay is more do to the pipeline work. The park hasn't opened it up for work yet as since I expect some minor changes due to the pipeline construction I was hoping to wait to include changes.

I'm thinking I might just release a boon map or maybe just keep tweaking the Jungle map.

NJMX835

I'd like to buy whoever cuts these trails a case of beer. Rode Baboon for the first time today and it's absolutely awesome :)

Dirt Dawg

Hey bleeder, I read your website proposal for the jungle habitat to ringwood trail. I even followed it from Jungle to the lake to lake trail, but then had to bail out (turned left on lake to lake) took that to east shore aand rode back on pavement because it started raining). do you have any updates on that?

Bleeder

Hey bleeder, I read your website proposal for the jungle habitat to ringwood trail. I even followed it from Jungle to the lake to lake trail, but then had to bail out (turned left on lake to lake) took that to east shore aand rode back on pavement because it started raining). do you have any updates on that?

There is no "official" proposal in the works. As of now mountain biking is not a recognized activity for the Sterling Forest section. Still I'd love to see that open up in the future.

Meanwhile.

I've been scoping out an alternative access to Sterling avoiding the Jennings Hollow section. It follows quad trails from the bridge over the Wanaque on East Shore Road to either Jennings Hollow or the Lake to Lake at the hunters parking lot. Quite a pretty area actually.

From where you bailed on the Lake to Lake to East Shore if you wanted to continue to Ringwood Manor, make a right and bear left along the shore of Blue Lake past the dumptruck. Continue to end end of the lake and make a left along the utility lines, follow that to a short distance to the big powerlines. Turn east on the powerlines and follow a quad trail to the top of the ridge. I think you can take either the left or right sides and still get to the top. The right is the steeper shorter route. From the top look for a quad trail on the southern side. It's usually pretty muddy, but you can follow this a short distance to the intersection with the white trail from the left. Make a left on the white trail and ride down th re-routed section Art built into the manor.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions