Reverb finally took a crap

So I’m finally getting back to this BS. I’ve been at it for an hour with PB Blaster and a pair of channel locks....it won’t fucking budge. Going to try pouring boiling water on the frame as soon as I figure out how to boil some water in my garage (literally just put my camping stuff in storage ?‍♂️) but thought I’d see if anyone has any other creative hacks. Who has a blow torch and wants to light my frame on fire? Is that like a wet dream around here?
I have dealt with dozens of stuck posts. Mostly successfully. What is the frame material, and the post material? The solution is predicated upon that answer.

So I’m finally getting back to this BS. I’ve been at it for an hour with PB Blaster and a pair of channel locks....it won’t fucking budge. Going to try pouring boiling water on the frame as soon as I figure out how to boil some water in my garage (literally just put my camping stuff in storage ?‍♂️) but thought I’d see if anyone has any other creative hacks. Who has a blow torch and wants to light my frame on fire? Is that like a wet dream around here?
Summoning @jklett

put post in vice, twist frame for leverage.
something will give. i'll bet on the top tube at the seat tube - but maybe the post will come out.
assuming you pour the pb in from the bottom??

I have dealt with dozens of stuck posts. Mostly successfully. What is the frame material, and the post material? The solution is predicated upon that answer.

something will give. i'll bet on the top tube at the seat tube - but maybe the post will come out.

It's the dropper post being stuck in the up position, not the post stuck in the frame. The solution needs to fit the problem, not the other way around...

It's the dropper post being stuck in the up position, not the post stuck in the frame...

ah, i think my idea still works, cause gotta throw the reverb out.
i have a transfer for sale.

I usually try some intermediate measures before the post-in-the-vice route (which will need three un-distanced people to hold the workbench).

A BMX 2-piece stem attached to the post as though the post were a handlebar, and a fork steerer tightened in that stem, will give a lot of leverage in the right spot. I have done well using a heat gun on (depending on materials) the post or frame, to get the penetrating oil everywhere.
Soak. Time is now on your side.

It's the dropper post being stuck in the up position, not the post stuck in the frame. The solution needs to fit the problem, not the other way around...
Nah, post is stuck in the frame. Pretty sure the unit itself is trashed but I can’t even assess the situation until I get this fucker loose.

Nah, post is stuck in the frame. Pretty sure the unit itself is trashed but I can’t even assess the situation until I get this fucker loose.
I should have been reading the whole initial post. Foot in mouth once again. Sorry @Patrick @Fire Lord Jim...

I will play the jolly and call on...
tumblr_a9827ed1cf4f1ea8ceb0f4c314369cba_470a274e_500.gif

Might be interested if I can’t rebuild this one.
It works. 31.6 I think. Will likely need to bleed the line because internal and you always lose a few drops feeding through the frame. No refunds because SRAM.:) $50. I'll lower it to you in a bucket from apartment window in Mahwah.

I still think that most Reverb issues are because people typically set them up in the summer and pressure drops in the winter. I set mine up for the first time when it was cold as shit and never gave me issues. Just removed because rigid FTW.

It works. 31.6 I think. Will likely need to bleed the line because internal and you always lose a few drops feeding through the frame. No refunds because SRAM.:) $50. I'll lower it to you in a bucket from apartment window in Mahwah.

I still think that most Reverb issues are because people typically set them up in the summer and pressure drops in the winter. I set mine up for the first time when it was cold as shit and never gave me issues. Just removed because rigid FTW.
I don’t think temps have anything to do with it since it survived 3 winters and lots of snow rides. The fact that it’s stuck in the up position has me hoping it’s just the remote line. What length is yours? My frame is a small so I don’t think I can fit 150mm

For aluminum post in aluminum frame, I would use the heat gun on the frame to spread the penetrating oil. Don't melt the paint, but it should get too hot to hold.
I would do that a few times, letting it cool between, each time adding more oil from above and below.
For the final heat, I would already have the BMX stem on the post, ready for torque. Once the frame is heated, quickly cool the post--maybe shoot it with a CO2 cartridge. Then hammer on the steel fork you put in the BMX stem for leverage.
Sometimes it breaks free, other times it breaks the frame at the collar.
If you get a little movement, go back to oil & heat. You will likely save the frame.
Good luck. If you ruin the frame, all that oil will help it burn.

Do you have a vice? Put the post in the vice (bike upside down). Use the frame as lever and twist.

I don’t think temps have anything to do with it since it survived 3 winters and lots of snow rides. The fact that it’s stuck in the up position has me hoping it’s just the remote line. What length is yours? My frame is a small so I don’t think I can fit 150mm
73% sure it's 125mm. And the cable is long. Can measure over weekend unless you need it asap.

I still think that most Reverb issues are because people typically set them up in the summer and pressure drops in the winter. I set mine up for the first time when it was cold as shit and never gave me issues.
If you used the dropper more than 3 times a year you would eventually have had problems as well

73% sure it's 125mm. And the cable is long. Can measure over weekend unless you need it asap.
Sweet. If bleeding the remote line doesn’t fix it I’ll take you up on that. First I gotta get the damn thing out of the frame.

Back
Top Bottom