Reverb finally took a crap

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My dropper is stuck in the up position. I think it’s a pretty common issue but haven’t seen any real explanation for it. I noticed a while back it had started to sag about an inch when I sit, but i could still drop and extend it when needed. Now it won’t drop, remote does nothing, and it’s still going down about an inch when I sit.

Also went to raise the entire unit to make up for the lost inch of seat height and the whole thing is stuck in the frame and won’t budge...so that’s another problem.

Any suggestions? This is my first dropper. It’s about three years old I believe.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
My dropper is stuck in the up position. I think it’s a pretty common issue but haven’t seen any real explanation for it. I noticed a while back it had started to sag about an inch when I sit, but i could still drop and extend it when needed. Now it won’t drop, remote does nothing, and it’s still going down about an inch when I sit.

Also went to raise the entire unit to make up for the lost inch of seat height and the whole thing is stuck in the frame and won’t budge...so that’s another problem.

Any suggestions? This is my first dropper. It’s about three years old I believe.
How often did you service it? There is a 50 and 100 hour recommended service interval and if you don’t hit those, definitely every year. My fox is at fox right now for annual service after about 300 hours.

I rode the reverb for a year and didn’t have any issues other than slow rebound when under 30 degrees.

I have it for sale if you are interested.

You are out of warranty, so you have two options. Try to get it serviced and risk it not being fixed (and spend that money) or buy a new/used one.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

3 years is a pretty long time for a dropper... Between my ks levs and Reverb I haven't had one stay working for more than a few months. I'm sure it's overdue to be serviced. Not sure if it's something you want to tackle but sram has the service instructions on you tube and you can get most of the parts.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
First, you need a new bike. With a fox transfer. :D

did you bring the bike in the house, and let it warm up to "room temp" and attempt to use the trigger? Seriously - warm it up.
(as Kev mentioned)

The sag is air in the hydraulics - this happened to me when i traveled with the bike in the car with the seat down, and laying(lying?) on its side.
Had to be sent in for service. Couple years ago now, maybe some vids on the solution.

The worthless trigger is a problem when the temps drop - not enough fluid is moved to actuate valves.

One of the solutions is to switch to the wolftooth mechanical trigger - it isn't temp dependent. If the bend radius is too tight through the bb shell it might bind.

Of course your dropper could have just STB, and needs a full on service....

I have a recently serviced reverb i'd give up cheap if it fits.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

oh damn, missed the part about stuck. What material is your frame?

rick81721

Lothar
Stuck in the up position? Consider yourself lucky, at least you can still ride it. When mine crapped out (twice) it was stuck down. Ended up ditching it and replaced with a regular post.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also went to raise the entire unit to make up for the lost inch of seat height and the whole thing is stuck in the frame and won’t budge...so that’s another.

@jdog has a tool to help get this out.

goldsbar

Try the suggestions, but if it's shot, I second the Fox. ~1,500 miles on NNJ trails. I use the dropper remote as much as my shifter and the thing is still rock solid. Barely any unwanted movement in the post. I've neglected the service so far.

The idea of a dropper sounds simple, but droppers appear to be the hardest thing for companies to get "right."

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the input, dudes. Surprisingly it lasted this long without ever being serviced.

I guess since it is up at least I might just ride it out till park season...but it would be nice to get it unstuck from the frame.

Also, anyone know if the cable can be reused? The frame has internal routing but I hear it’s a real bitch to get past the BB on this frame (commencal meta 4.2).

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thanks for the input, dudes. Surprisingly it lasted this long without ever being serviced.

I guess since it is up at least I might just ride it out till park season...but it would be nice to get it unstuck from the frame.

Also, anyone know if the cable can be reused? The frame has internal routing but I hear it’s a real bitch to get past the BB on this frame (commencal meta 4.2).
Is is a cable or hydraulic line? If hydraulic, yes, just maybe need a bleed. If cable, just replace while it out

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should contact SRAM. Their engineers will want to tear this unit down to figure out how it lasted so long.

I was going to chime in to complain my Fox has developed some play when sitting down, but it's been 3+ years with absolutely no maintenance...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You should contact SRAM. Their engineers will want to tear this unit down to figure out how it lasted so long.

I was going to chime in to complain my Fox has developed some play when sitting down, but it's been 3+ years with absolutely no maintenance...
I have somewhere between 250-300 on transfer from new last January. Mine had no issues until the last week when it was in the 20’s at night, so sent it back for service, which they recommend at 100 hours or a year. Figured it was a good
Time to have it serviced.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have somewhere between 250-300 on transfer from new last January. Mine had no issues until the last week when it was in the 20’s at night, so sent it back for service, which they recommend at 100 hours or a year. Figured it was a good
Time to have it serviced.

I agree. I'm going to send it in when I'm done with my Sedona trip in March so I don't have to have it weighing down my luggage. :)

I looked at the Fox service and just like major fork service, by the time you're done with tools/parts/mess it just makes sense to send it in. It looks (for additional cost) they'll upgrade to 2018 internals.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I agree. I'm going to send it in when I'm done with my Sedona trip in March so I don't have to have it weighing down my luggage. :)

I looked at the Fox service and just like major fork service, by the time you're done with tools/parts/mess it just makes sense to send it in. It looks (for additional cost) they'll upgrade to 2018 internals.
And that nitrogen recharge

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I’m finally getting back to this BS. I’ve been at it for an hour with PB Blaster and a pair of channel locks....it won’t fucking budge. Going to try pouring boiling water on the frame as soon as I figure out how to boil some water in my garage (literally just put my camping stuff in storage ?‍♂️) but thought I’d see if anyone has any other creative hacks. Who has a blow torch and wants to light my frame on fire? Is that like a wet dream around here?

Top Bottom