Rebuild rear shock. Send out or DIY?

Probably obvious, but maybe not to everyone. The $200 service includes servicing the damper which is something that very few people have the ability to do at home. Air sleeve service is usually around half that much.
The real question is how often the damper needs to be serviced?

Better send it now if you want it back by Spring. :thumbsup:

Amiright @Ryan.P
Kinda 🤣 at this point I might be on the mvp list, 3 fork kits and 3 shocks . The last custom shock he did for my following only took couple weeks to get

Kinda 🤣 at this point I might be on the mvp list, 3 fork kits and 3 shocks . The last custom shock he did for my following only took couple weeks to get

Is it worth sending a no coil, no oil can shock there?

Is it worth sending a no coil, no oil can shock there?
Yes the speed sensitive valving is really the best of both worlds . Firm pedal platform that will gobble up sharp hits with ease . @ChrisG Turnaround times vary drastically depending on service and or items being purchased . Best to call and get a realistic eta

Yes the speed sensitive valving is really the best of both worlds . Firm pedal platform that will gobble up sharp hits with ease . @ChrisG Turnaround times vary drastically depending on service and or items being purchased . Best to call and get a realistic eta
You're talking having Avalanche re-do the entire shock with their guts right? Not just a normal rebuild?

I had him do my fork and he did a good job. But the price is the same as Fox. If the turnaround time is similar or not important in this case, I’m not sure the advantage of going to him.

For the same pricing, I'd just send to Fox if I have the time. You have the benefit that if something is broken and found they have the parts there, and they seem pretty good with replacing parts that are broken/warranty without issues. I sent Joy's shock in that leaked from new telling them that. They said the shock was fine, no warranty on it, however they said the air-can looked funky machined so they installed a new one at no charge. If that was an independent I'd probably be paying for an air can plus the extra time for them to get it.

And side note, I find fork service w/ the GRIP damper pretty easy and straightforward. Fox videos are a big help as you can actually see what to do step by step. Air can service for just the seals is usually pretty easy also. My thing now is just doing the seal service and then sending the shock out for full service much less frequently.

This is me.
mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

My Fox Float on my XC bike needs a rebuild. It’s been 2 seasons and I’m ready to get it done. Last time I sent it to fox and it cost me close to $200 which I felt was absurd. I looked around and that is the ballpark for most places to rebuild it.

Is this something I should just do myself?

View attachment 173129
You should see what motorcycle suspension work runs. Similar work is $1000++

So I'm an advocate for always having 2 shocks for a bike so no matter how long service takes no downtime yolo

Literally was goog'in around for a 140 Fox34 just now for this reason.
Shout out to all youze, how can I spend money on this efficiently? $1K is ridonkulous.

Back
Top Bottom