Rebuild rear shock. Send out or DIY?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My Fox Float on my XC bike needs a rebuild. It’s been 2 seasons and I’m ready to get it done. Last time I sent it to fox and it cost me close to $200 which I felt was absurd. I looked around and that is the ballpark for most places to rebuild it.

Is this something I should just do myself?

F848CE25-4424-4C75-BE9D-82656D4E40B9.jpeg

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My Fox Float on my XC bike needs a rebuild. It’s been 2 seasons and I’m ready to get it done. Last time I sent it to fox and it cost me close to $200 which I felt was absurd. I looked around and that is the ballpark for most places to rebuild it.

Is this something I should just do myself?

View attachment 173129
If you're just doing a air sleeve service. Clean, lube and new seals. Then do it yourself.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I second if you’re just doing the sleeve service you should able to handle it yourself.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Third on DIY sleeve service.
If I can do it, pretty sure you can.

Edit: nevermind, just saw your AXS dropper post in the what have you done to your bike thread-
Give it to JimV ;)

Last edited:

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Parts are $25. Takes about 15 minutes after you've done 10,000 of them. 20 minutes for a first timer. 30 minutes with YouTube.
So you do It for $50? That’s $200 an hour by the way….

ebarker9

Probably obvious, but maybe not to everyone. The $200 service includes servicing the damper which is something that very few people have the ability to do at home. Air sleeve service is usually around half that much.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Probably obvious, but maybe not to everyone. The $200 service includes servicing the damper which is something that very few people have the ability to do at home. Air sleeve service is usually around half that much.

This is the answer. I’ll need to send it out. I looked at that process, and I’d end up killing it and having to buy a new one.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Send it to Erik at https://www.gearworkmtb.com/ $165 bucks, you'll have it back in 1 week.

I just did this - 1 week total turnaround. I also broke something inside it, which is why I send this shit out. If I open it up and the spleen & liver fall onto the floor, it ends up as garbage and I have to try to find a new one. Can you even buy a new shock anymore?

Top Bottom