Raritan 911: Robocop

Who has the right of way??

the one with the less expensive car.

i had someone intentionally try to close a gap at a ramp merge onto the parkwaywhen he saw my directional -
he was going to have to run into me to stop me at that point - so he stood on his horn...
so inconvenienced. hope he felt better after going around me and flipping me off.

Last edited:
Paging @Carson for a clarification. So i got pulled over by a statey on Rt-24 yesterday but luckily only got a warning. I was heading north and where 24 ends and runs into 287 i was in the right lane which i did not realize was for the exit before 287. Kinda late, i cut left into the center lane with the traffic for 287 but i signaled, did not majorly cut anyone off and i'm pretty sure the line was still dotted. Statey was in the left lane and immediately cut in behind me and pulled me over on the 287 on-ramp. I know it was kind of a dickish move, but was it really illegal?
I hate this interchange, everyone drives up the left and right lanes to the last second while the center lane is always backed up. I wish a cop would just sit there and ticket everyone. This has nothing to do with your situation, this interchange is just a trigger for me LOL.

Hey this related scenario happened to me two months ago and I was going to look it up but forgot about it.

I'm at an exit from a bank trying to merge right into traffic (3 lanes). I see a gap in traffic and pull out into the closest lane. At the same time, a guy in the middle lane also sees the gap and wants to merge into the same lane. It wasn't really that close but he laid on the horn. Who has the right of way??

You are not merging. You are entering a roadway from private property. At all times, traffic on the roadway has the right-of-way. And that is regardless of what signage is in the parking lot (stop, yield, no sign). I said generally because he still has to drive with due caution (reasonable speed for conditions, safe lane change, signal lane change, etc.).

That's where accident investigation and interview skills come in. If he hits you in the rear, much more reasonable to assume you had a clear lane to enter when you left the parking lot. If he hits you in the driver's front fender then you are going to be at fault 99% of the time. Unless it's night and he has no lights on or was traveling at double to posted speed limit and I see some evidence of that (long skid or yaw marks, witness testimony, severe vehicle damage consistent with high speed). Everyone your age who gets in an accident says OMG HE WAS FLYING. No, it's your cataracts, you 183-day Flordia resident.

You are not merging. You are entering a roadway from private property. At all times, traffic on the roadway has the right-of-way. And that is regardless of what signage is in the parking lot (stop, yield, no sign). I said generally because he still has to drive with due caution (reasonable speed for conditions, safe lane change, signal lane change, etc.).

That's where accident investigation and interview skills come in. If he hits you in the rear, much more reasonable to assume you had a clear lane to enter when you left the parking lot. If he hits you in the driver's front fender then you are going to be at fault 99% of the time. Unless it's night and he has no lights on or was traveling at double to posted speed limit and I see some evidence of that (long skid or yaw marks, witness testimony, severe vehicle damage consistent with high speed). Everyone your age who gets in an accident says OMG HE WAS FLYING. No, it's your cataracts, you 183-day Florida resident.
But Rick live streams his drives and has video proof.
Somewhat serious question: Tesla has many cameras built in and record when incidents happen. Do police on the scene look at those videos, or Rick's camera when something happens?

That's where accident investigation and interview skills come in. If he hits you in the rear, much more reasonable to assume you had a clear lane to enter when you left the parking lot. If he hits you in the driver's front fender then you are going to be at fault 99% of the time. Unless it's night and he has no lights on or was traveling at double to posted speed limit and I see some evidence of that (long skid or yaw marks, witness testimony, severe vehicle damage consistent with high speed). Everyone your age who gets in an accident says OMG HE WAS FLYING. No, it's your cataracts, you 183-day Flordia resident.

OK same situation but at a stop sign on a cross street. I assume the same answer. So the solution is - do not enter the 3 lane traffic until there is a clear section across all three lanes.

Somewhat serious question: Tesla has many cameras built in and record when incidents happen. Do police on the scene look at those videos, or Rick's camera when something happens?

Completely up to the officer and varies on the situation. Minor parking lot accident at Shop-Rite? No, no one cares. A serious accident where a pedestrian was hit? Yes, very likely. A fatality? No, but the vehicle will be impounded and a search warrant applied for data/video because high likeliness of a criminal trial or civil suit.

OK same situation but at a stop sign on a cross street. I assume the same answer. So the solution is - do not enter the 3 lane traffic until there is a clear section across all three lanes.

Yes. Leaving a private parking lot, driveway, etc. is the same as a cross street controlled with a stop sign (or not).

Nothing in the law says you need 3 clear lanes, but yes, it may be the safest thing to do. Or the Bergen/Hudson/Essex answer is just use the shoulder of the road as an acceleration lane and merge into traffic (which is also illegal). Then when you get stopped bark out "Do you know who I am?".

Google-skills failed me on Raritan Twp Ord. 94-15. So how does this apply to analog bikes?

No-way.jpg

Specifically when bicycles are not prohibited, but regulated.

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 2.36.45 PM.png

Well that's a township sign and the prohibited/regulated text is from the county. So, doesn't apply to township parks.

The township revised all the ordinance numbers years ago but never replaced the signage in town. There is a cross-reference book at the PD that I could check. If I was still allowed in the building.

Where is that sign posted? What park/area? If I remember correctly 94-15 dealt with Sun Ridge Condo Association, but not positive.

In an accident in December on the NYS Thruway, the Trooper viewed nearly the same scenario as the OP posits on a friend of my friend's TESLA and ticketed the guy cutting in from the right lane/ shoulder. Of course, unlike the OP the cutter was going at an excessive rate of speed and caused a multi car slammer. When he tried to talk his way out of it, he was shut down quick and hard by the Trooper.

Last edited:
Well that's a township sign and the prohibited/regulated text is from the county. So, doesn't apply to township parks.

The township revised all the ordinance numbers years ago but never replaced the signage in town. There is a cross-reference book at the PD that I could check. If I was still allowed in the building.

Where is that sign posted? What park/area? If I remember correctly 94-15 dealt with Sun Ridge Condo Association, but not positive.
That sign is posted at the Bernadette Morales park.

Ok, I never handled a biking complant in there in 25 years. But I did occasionally ride the patrol MTB in there. It sucks!

If you really want the ordinace info, the court administrator can give you a copy of it.

Ha I was going to ride in there once last year but it was closed after the great flood

Back
Top Bottom