Raritan 911: Robocop

rick81721

Lothar
Today I head west on Everitts. Passing Blackwell park on the way out, there was a patrol car and SUV parked side-by-side, the guys yacking. 45 minutes later on the way back - they were still there! I stopped in to hit the portapotty and hoped Connor was there. Was gonna blow him some shit about the 20+ cars that illegally passed me with less than 4 ft clearance during my ride but it was two guys I hadn't seen before.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today I head west on Everitts. Passing Blackwell park on the way out, there was a patrol car and SUV parked side-by-side, the guys yacking. 45 minutes later on the way back - they were still there! I stopped in to hit the portapotty and hoped Connor was there. Was gonna blow him some shit about the 20+ cars that illegally passed me with less than 4 ft clearance during my ride but it was two guys I hadn't seen before.

Two beta males talking about their wives on a quiet Saturday morning. Carry on, nothing to see here.

rick81721

Lothar
My guess would be you have one less neighbor now. The only other place we go 3 or 4 deep is domestics and lunch.

Finally got the scoop on this. It was the 40s son that died, not the old lady he was "watching". Makes more sense that the police were there that long.

Ironjunk

Why does it feel like the police have given up on texting/phone use while driving? I remember years ago everyone was aware of the danger, now nobody cares.

EJphotos

Why does it feel like the police have given up on texting/phone use while driving? I remember years ago everyone was aware of the danger, now nobody cares.
If it makes you feel any better, I got a bazillion Nixle alert texts from Lakewood PD about their U-Drive U-Text U-Pay campaign against phone use while driving they started this past weekend.

Screenshot_20220404-214719_Messages.jpg

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If it makes you feel any better, I got a bazillion Nixle alert texts from Lakewood PD about their U-Drive U-Text U-Pay campaign against phone use while driving they started this past weekend.

View attachment 182234

These are grant-funded details that are administered by NJ Division of Highway Safety and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. So the cops are happy to write tickets for their overtime rate.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
These are grant-funded details that are administered by NJ Division of Highway Safety and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. So the cops are happy to write tickets for their overtime rate.
I assume this might have something to do with the near-daily speed traps on Rt. 18 in Marlboro. They have a Charger with these sort of decals, no roof lights. It's always parked in the same spot, perfectly positioned to nab south-bound traffic as it comes over a small rise. By the time you can see the car, it's too late to slow down.

I see someone getting pulled over in this spot with remarkable consistency.

Edit: I just realized @Carson was referring to the "put down your phone" texts, not the Hunterdon County traffic enforcement. But the Marlboro speed trap is a pain in the ass, nonetheless.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I assume this might have something to do with the near-daily speed traps on Rt. 18 in Marlboro. They have a Charger with these sort of decals, no roof lights. It's always parked in the same spot, perfectly positioned to nab south-bound traffic as it comes over a small rise. By the time you can see the car, it's too late to slow down.

I see someone getting pulled over in this spot with remarkable consistency.

Edit: I just realized @Carson was referring to the "put down your phone" texts, not the Hunterdon County traffic enforcement. But the Marlboro speed trap is a pain in the ass, nonetheless.

60 year-olds driving station wagons usually fly under the radar.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Paging @Carson for a clarification. So i got pulled over by a statey on Rt-24 yesterday but luckily only got a warning. I was heading north and where 24 ends and runs into 287 i was in the right lane which i did not realize was for the exit before 287. Kinda late, i cut left into the center lane with the traffic for 287 but i signaled, did not majorly cut anyone off and i'm pretty sure the line was still dotted. Statey was in the left lane and immediately cut in behind me and pulled me over on the 287 on-ramp. I know it was kind of a dickish move, but was it really illegal?

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Paging @Carson for a clarification. So i got pulled over by a statey on Rt-24 yesterday but luckily only got a warning. I was heading north and where 24 ends and runs into 287 i was in the right lane which i did not realize was for the exit before 287. Kinda late, i cut left into the center lane with the traffic for 287 but i signaled, did not majorly cut anyone off and i'm pretty sure the line was still dotted. Statey was in the left lane and immediately cut in behind me and pulled me over on the 287 on-ramp. I know it was kind of a dickish move, but was it really illegal?

Yes, it sure sounds like it. Even though this in NJ, you aren't allowed to cut anyone off, either majority or minorly. You can only make a lane change when safe (and the trooper gets to decide if you did it safe; not you) and your lane change needs to be signaled a minimum of 100 feet before you leave your lane (39:4-126, 39:4-97). I'm familiar with that intersection and I think the white line is solid a WAYS back to funnel traffic safely and efficiently. You know, to prevent people doing what you did lol. So yes, it sure sounds like it was a legal stop. Maybe he was nitpicking a bit but certainly a legal stop.

IMHO, he did the right thing. He's in a marked troop car and if he does nothing, he looks like an asshole. You drove aggressively/dangerously (to what level is certainly debatable) and other traffic around him would think the trooper was lazy if you didn't get stopped. He stopped you, they feel vindicated and it's a deterrent to others. And you got no ticket. Everybody wins.

Generally, if you do something reasonably unsafe around a marked car, it's going to cost you a few minutes of your time and maybe a few dollars.

There is also a recent NJSP class that graduated and out on the roads. They are still young enough to feel like they can make a difference.

Additionally, weekends are for writing tickets on interstates. There is so much traffic during the work week that NJSP hammers weekend mornings.

rick81721

Lothar
Yes, it sure sounds like it. Even though this in NJ, you aren't allowed to cut anyone off, either majority or minorly. You can only make a lane change when safe (and the trooper gets to decide if you did it safe; not you) and your lane change needs to be signaled a minimum of 100 feet before you leave your lane (39:4-126, 39:4-97). I'm familiar with that intersection and I think the white line is solid a WAYS back to funnel traffic safely and efficiently. You know, to prevent people doing what you did lol. So yes, it sure sounds like it was a legal stop. Maybe he was nitpicking a bit but certainly a legal stop.

IMHO, he did the right thing. He's in a marked troop car and if he does nothing, he looks like an asshole. You drove aggressively/dangerously (to what level is certainly debatable) and other traffic around him would think the trooper was lazy if you didn't get stopped. He stopped you, they feel vindicated and it's a deterrent to others. And you got no ticket. Everybody wins.

Generally, if you do something reasonably unsafe around a marked car, it's going to cost you a few minutes of your time and maybe a few dollars.

There is also a recent NJSP class that graduated and out on the roads. They are still young enough to feel like they can make a difference.

Additionally, weekends are for writing tickets on interstates. There is so much traffic during the work week that NJSP hammers weekend mornings.

Hey this related scenario happened to me two months ago and I was going to look it up but forgot about it.

I'm at an exit from a bank trying to merge right into traffic (3 lanes). I see a gap in traffic and pull out into the closest lane. At the same time, a guy in the middle lane also sees the gap and wants to merge into the same lane. It wasn't really that close but he laid on the horn. Who has the right of way??

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey this related scenario happened to me two months ago and I was going to look it up but forgot about it.

I'm at an exit from a bank trying to merge right into traffic (3 lanes). I see a gap in traffic and pull out into the closest lane. At the same time, a guy in the middle lane also sees the gap and wants to merge into the same lane. It wasn't really that close but he laid on the horn. Who has the right of way??
You Rick, Always YOU.

Top Bottom