Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

Today was the dog days of May!
I was riding the road to get to the new access point for a trail, and a guy steps out into the road waving his arms for me to stop!
He had two dogs loose in his front yard and knew he couldn't control them soon enough, so, he had me stop until he could get
them onto his front stoop and control them better. At least they didn't get me.
Then I was riding Wingdam trail and a runner approached with a medium to large black hairy dog on a 6 ft leash.
He had trouble controlling that dog too! It was snarling and making ugly sounds while standing on up it's back legs'
I know it would have loved to get a piece of me! That's it. And all this before 7:30 AM. I like being alone better!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Today was the dog days of May!
I was riding the road to get to the new access point for a trail, and a guy steps out into the road waving his arms for me to stop!
He had two dogs loose in his front yard and knew he couldn't control them soon enough, so, he had me stop until he could get
them onto his front stoop and control them better. At least they didn't get me.
Then I was riding Wingdam trail and a runner approached with a medium to large black hairy dog on a 6 ft leash.
He had trouble controlling that dog too! It was snarling and making ugly sounds while standing on up it's back legs'
I know it would have loved to get a piece of me! That's it. And all this before 7:30 AM. I like being alone better!

were you at the boat launch on saturday when the guy gets out of his car with one dog on leash another off, and the park police right there?
the off leash dog decides to torture some other on-leash little dogs, and the owner screams to come get your dog.
guy is cavalier. park police were not happy.

you don't need to get bit again.

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

A rare road ride for me today, it was quite fun. I created a :course" in Garmin and it worked flawlessly. Until...
I arrived at my destination and went looking for beer. The brewery in Pine Island was closed. So I rode to
the American Legion hall, I know they have beer, they were closed too. So I decided to head back the way I
came, but now Garmin wasn't cooperating. I thought I'd be able to say "reverse route", but no. It did show
me the map though, but not as clearly as my ride there, I followed it as best I could, but made a wrong turn.
I wound up on the main highway that I was trying to avoid, but since I easily get lost, I stuck with it because I
know the area and wanted to get back alive. I got to Edenville and knew there was a beer joint there, even though
I've never been to it. Sure enough I found it and ordered lunch & a beer. (Wrench). I fiddled with Garmin some more
while waiting for lunch, but I just couldn't figure out how to make it show me the map, all it kept saying was "return
to route", which I didn't want now because it would just send me back to my destination. Anyway, I gave up and just
stuck to the roads I know. All in all a fun day, great weather and about sixteen miles.

an old farm
Dsc06229.jpg

my beer stop
Dsc06231.jpg

Dsc06232.jpg

Dsc06233.jpg

leftovers
Dsc06228.jpg

Kaleidopete

Had a nice ride this morning and I wanted to do a few more miles,
so this afternoon I had business in Warwick and decided to incorporate a
ride too. I mapped out my route and wrote the directions down. The first mile
or so went fine, then I took a wrong turn and rode and rode and realized I was
lost again. I found my way to the main road and was happy, until I realized I was
going in the wrong direction when I saw the welcome to Florida (NY) sign. I
turned around and headed back to Warwick, kind of meeting my requirements
for this adventure. I made my appointment time AND got my ten mile ride in,
just not as originally planned. Oh well, had fun anyway. I better stick to
Wawayanda, I don't get lost there!

Red is what I did, Green was my plan.
map.JPG

Dsc06284.jpg

Had a great lunch!
Dsc06285.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Had a nice ride this morning and I wanted to do a few more miles,
so this afternoon I had business in Warwick and decided to incorporate a
ride too. I mapped out my route and wrote the directions down. The first mile
or so went fine, then I took a wrong turn and rode and rode and realized I was
lost again. I found my way to the main road and was happy, until I realized I was
going in the wrong direction when I saw the welcome to Florida (NY) sign. I
turned around and headed back to Warwick, kind of meeting my requirements
for this adventure. I made my appointment time AND got my ten mile ride in,
just not as originally planned. Oh well, had fun anyway. I better stick to
Wawayanda, I don't get lost there!

Red is what I did, Green was my plan.
View attachment 158984
View attachment 158985

Had a great lunch!
View attachment 158986

These adventures continue to amaze me!!!

that edge 530 you have will get you where you need to go......

Kaleidopete

I figured I bike for lunch today, but things don't usually go as planned.
The Schoolhouse Pub opens at 2PM the website says. I get there around
2:15. Some people are already there. I ask for food, sorry, no food until 4PM.
Damn, anyway, there are some guys there that I know and it's a big hello and
Wayne bought me a beer anyway. Great, small talk and a beer fine. As I leave
to go get some food, I ask the barmaid if I can buy a single beer to have with
my lunch. Nope. Oh well, back on the bike to plan B. I get to the Italian joint and
order my Eggplant parm hero, and I get a water to go with it, poor substitute for beer,
but choices are few. Had a great lunch and headed back home. Wow, those clouds
look dark! Uh Oh, a half mile to go and the skies opened up! Sure am glad it's 90°!
Ah, plans, who needs 'em, just wing it!
Dsc06326.jpg
Dsc06328.jpg

Kaleidopete

Rode with the Jersey Devils bike club today on their 10th. Anniversary ride in Asbury Park.
Great weather. I rode up on the boardwalk, you can do that up until 10AM.
Went down the ramp and onto the beach, the going is tough in the deep sand, even with the fat bike.
There were also big ruts to deal with from the vehicles they use on the beach.
Went out to the rocks and then right along the edge of the water.
The best sand for riding is about 10 feet from the waters edge.
We all had a good ride to Belmar for pizza and then a stop at Second Life Bikes,
and then back to Asbury, to the Wonder Bar for snacks and drinks.
Only about ten miles in all, but a fun ride at the Jersey Shore!

Dsc06345.jpg
Dsc06346.jpg
Dsc06349.jpg
Dsc06352.jpg
Dsc06356.jpg
Dsc06358.jpg

Jersey Devs 10anv16.jpg

Jersey Devs 10anv23.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Less than stellar Farm to Fork adventure ride today. This ride gets lousier every year.
The people are great as are the other participants. They’re just so cheap!
Sign in is in a parking lot/field. No seating or benches, just sign in and hang around until
The ride starts. They don’t tell you what the route is until two days before the ride.
Then It’s a downloadable gpx file, which they changed the night before the event and you
had to get rid of the old file for the newer one. Pre ride they supply a bottle of water,
any snacks should be bought at the concession stand. It’s about a 25 mile ride through
the farmlands of NY. The first stop is Warwick Valley winery. Nice place, anything you want
has to be bought, except for another bottle of water, which is supplied by Farm to Fork.
Then it’s on to the Lunch stop, a deli along the road. Here Farm to Fork supplies lunch,
a lettuce, tomato and cheese sandwich and a small bag of chips and a cookie.
No drinks supplied, except for another bottle of water. Now it’s on to the finish
where a small piece of pie is offered, with a small scoop of ice cream. Also back at the
start it is the same field/parking lot, with no seating or benches, or shade.
No little offering that you did this event, nothing. That’s it, your done.
Now go home. All this for the price of $150. I signed up in May, and then June first
they sent out emails, sign up now for a 15% discount. They won’t see me again.
But, like I said, the people and ride was great.

Dsc06383.jpg
Dsc06387.jpg
Dsc06388.jpg
Dsc06389.jpg
Dsc06391.jpg

Kaleidopete

Had a nice ride this morning before it hits 90°
Rode the newly opened Heritage trail from Goshen to Middletown NY.
Parking where I wanted was a small challenge, but I found an ice cream shop to park in.
The trail itself is a paved track. Nice swamp scenery and wildlife areas along the way.
Very well thought out and built!. At a few road crossings there is Heritage Trail Parking only lots.
One even has a porta john. (ladies). There was also a nice stop for food and beer right across from the parking lot.
The trail ends in Middletown though, so it’s turn around and ride back, which is fine by me.
Once in the town of Goshen there are plenty of places to eat and drink, and even a shop catering to runners,
they have clothing and stuff. I stopped at the bagel shop, I’ve been there before. It was about 14 miles round trip on the trail.

Then I went off to explore the Salesian Center, which is now a park, It was a up and running in the ‘70’s.
Now it’s just abandoned with interesting grounds. Had a great day already by 9AM.

Dsc06443.jpg
Dsc06444.jpg
Dsc06447.jpg
Dsc06448.jpg
Dsc06449.jpg
Dsc06451.jpg

Dsc06452.jpg

Dsc06454.jpg

Dsc06455.jpg

Kaleidopete

7/4/21 Happy 4th of July.
Had a great ride in Wawayanda today. Did some trail maintenance on stickers and overgrowth.
I got there a little before 7AM, knowing the park would fill quickly.
Sure enough, by 9:45 the signs were up, Filled to Capacity, no entry.
I spent about three and a half hours in the park, with a moving time of two and a half hours. Great weather at 60°.
I tried riding the “Find a Way” trail and it was way overgrown with ferns and grass.
Dsc06509.jpg

Dsc06510.jpg

I don’t really want to clear it, just enough to see the way. It’s got plenty of rocks and roots in there too.

Then it was onto the Mine trail which is in pretty good shape, just some trimming in strategic spots, I like these trails raw, but ride able.
Dsc06513.jpg

Then it was onto the AT Crossover trail where I made a stone pathway through the swamp a few years ago.
It’s held up good, but needs some weeding to find it.
In this photo it’s weeded.
Dsc06515.jpg

Here is a photo of my Wawayanda road sign, it was originally made and put up by Ranger Steve over 20 years ago.
A few years ago someone stole it and so I made a replacement that is an exact replica. I always liked that sign way out in the woods.
Dsc06514.jpg

Kaleidopete

8/1/21 The July challenge is over and fun was had b all! My stats for the month were 70 hours and 520 miles, a little more than I usually do, but the weather was mostly great. I too donated my winning certificate to a worthy cause, as many others did too. The last day had some other challenges pop up. Medically, I have my special problems, especially since I can’t be vaccinated for Covid because of one of my conditions, it causes me concern. I am usually quite healthy otherwise. I can’t remember the last time I had a cold or the sniffles, not even the Flu. So what caused me great concern last night was. Around 9PM noticed my left arm from the shoulder to elbow hurt and was cramping and in pain, I was also experiencing shortness of breath and a heavy feeling on my upper chest. I thought this sounded like a heart problem, so I took 2 aspirin and started an oxygen cannula at #5, the highest setting, and went to bed. I couldn’t sleep and my chest was getting worse where I could only take short breaths. I felt a gripping tightness in my throat and neck and swallowing was difficult. There was a heavy pain in my upper chest. Felt like cramping. I tried to lay down again but was in too much discomfort. I decided to drive to Chilton ER. I described my symptoms to them and they hooked me up to an EKG, Oxygen monitor, BP machine, and took chest x-rays. They swabbed for Covid and took blood for testing and checked my temperature. They gave me an injection to relieve my neck and shoulder and arm pain, and it worked well in ten minutes. After four hours waiting they said they were having a problem getting my blood work checked, but all my other tests looked fine and they would send me home and contact me the next day about any problems they found. Next day I’m OK, but not 100%. I still have some tightness in my throat and neck and chest, but it’s slowly going away, I hope. Still can’t take deep breaths either. They never called me today, but I was able to look at some tests on My Chart website and it says Covid tests negative, so I guess that was my biggest concern with all that’s going on. OK, enough complaining, now to get back to riding my bike.

Mr.Moto

8/1/21 The July challenge is over and fun was had b all! My stats for the month were 70 hours and 520 miles, a little more than I usually do, but the weather was mostly great. I too donated my winning certificate to a worthy cause, as many others did too. The last day had some other challenges pop up. Medically, I have my special problems, especially since I can’t be vaccinated for Covid because of one of my conditions, it causes me concern. I am usually quite healthy otherwise. I can’t remember the last time I had a cold or the sniffles, not even the Flu. So what caused me great concern last night was. Around 9PM noticed my left arm from the shoulder to elbow hurt and was cramping and in pain, I was also experiencing shortness of breath and a heavy feeling on my upper chest. I thought this sounded like a heart problem, so I took 2 aspirin and started an oxygen cannula at #5, the highest setting, and went to bed. I couldn’t sleep and my chest was getting worse where I could only take short breaths. I felt a gripping tightness in my throat and neck and swallowing was difficult. There was a heavy pain in my upper chest. Felt like cramping. I tried to lay down again but was in too much discomfort. I decided to drive to Chilton ER. I described my symptoms to them and they hooked me up to an EKG, Oxygen monitor, BP machine, and took chest x-rays. They swabbed for Covid and took blood for testing and checked my temperature. They gave me an injection to relieve my neck and shoulder and arm pain, and it worked well in ten minutes. After four hours waiting they said they were having a problem getting my blood work checked, but all my other tests looked fine and they would send me home and contact me the next day about any problems they found. Next day I’m OK, but not 100%. I still have some tightness in my throat and neck and chest, but it’s slowly going away, I hope. Still can’t take deep breaths either. They never called me today, but I was able to look at some tests on My Chart website and it says Covid tests negative, so I guess that was my biggest concern with all that’s going on. OK, enough complaining, now to get back to riding my bike.
😮 Feel better @Kaleidopete

Top Bottom