Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Another nice cold and frozen day and I was riding on the Double Pond trail, which is usually flooded in spots,
even in a drought. Most trails have gotten pretty bad from the heavy rains that made nasty washouts.
Double Pond being in that category. I was very pleased to come upon the flooded spots and find them
frozen enough that I could ride right over them with no problem. Great fun instead of the twisted rocky
ride around those spots. Until…..I saw a branch down across the icy spot and decided to hit it straight on rather
than try and navigate around it which could cause me to slide out. Bad choice, went down like a ton of bricks.
Ice studs work sometimes, not this time. I took some lumps, left knee hit first I guess and then my head hit hard,
glad I had the helmet on. I could tell right away I got some lumps. No problem getting back up and riding off though,
just a little shaken. Still a great ride today, lots of fun, even with the extra excitement of crashing.
I thought I wasn’t going to do that anymore!
View attachment 148561

View attachment 148562

View attachment 148563

View attachment 148564
Glad you are OK!! Keep on truckin’

Well the huge snowfall is upon us, State of emergency as of seven PM last night.
All parks closed. So I got out around 8AM before it gets too deep and I did a two
mile ride around the hood. The main road had been plowed a while ago so it was smooth
sailing. The side roads were about 6 inches of snow and tougher going, fish tailing and sliding.
It's not a magic snow by any means. It was great to be out in it though, wind blowing and a
wintery mix, wet and snow. Have to see how it goes, supposed to snow all day.
Dsc05672.jpg
Dsc05674.jpg

Well I've been having some great rides lately with all the snow. Trails have been pretty good.
My strength to ride them on the fat bike has been a challenge, but I've been hangin' in there.
This mornings ride was really something. Did you ever have a plan, and in your head it seems
really workable, but when you actually go to execute that plan, you realize your mistake. That
was today's ride. I think Wingdam trail riding up from West to East and meeting Laurel trail is
the hardest trail in the park. In fact I think it's impossible to do. BUT, with all this snow pack and
the snow machines packing things down, I figured I could ride it! So off I went with success in my mind.
I was loosing some energy riding the two miles just getting to the impossible section, once there
I realized it was futile, even with the snow pack. My hopes were dashed and I had to push my bike up
the last 120 feet or so. I made it, and I'm not sorry I tried, it would always have bugged me if I hadn't
even tried it. Now I know!
Dsc05768.jpg
Dsc05769.jpg

This is what the climb looks like, on Strava you can hover over the ride and see the % climb, it's 22% in this spot
153421809_1062545197570491_4457042254379255528_n.jpg

Last edited:
Had a great road and trail ride this morning. Cold and windy at 17°.
I did the Iron Mt. road climb that I love, and then it enters the park as Iron Mt trail.
I didn't know what to expect when I got to the trail, but I was able to get in the park
because some fool rode a truck across someone's property to get around the barrier
put up by the park to keep trucks and quads out.
Anyway, it was a tough go on the trail trying to ride either the tire ruts, or snowshoed center section.
I made it up and over to Wawayanda rd. and then down the cool single track where it exits the park
and is just Wawayanda rd. Now back on blacktop I complete my loop riding the Warwick countryside
back to Iron Mt rd. A real fun ride that I usually do in nice weather, so today was more of a challange.
the truck mess around the barrier
Dsc05809.jpg

Iron Mt trail and Wawayanda trail
Dsc05801.jpg

Dsc05803.jpg

Dsc05804.jpg

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
@Kaleidopete - Have you gotten a Newark Watershed permit for 2021 yet? I was just trying to buy ours on their website but it says they aren't able to process credit cards.

A fall last month put a hurting on my left knee, it swelled up pretty good and took a few days to start getting better. That caused me to rely more on my right leg, which in turn put more pressure on it causing it to swell up and hurt. Well after come Prednisone and Aspirin for a few days things were looking up. I usually like to ride an hour and a half or two every day, which was proving to be unacceptable with my bad knees. I also had my rectus femoris muscle (front of leg) swell up and hurt. I think this is just from over use, like my knees, The thing is that while riding I find it hard to restrict myself as I’m riding trail and climbing and I’m making that tough climb, I can’t quit. I gotta remember Mitch’s Dylan quote. "Look, you get older. Passion is a young man's game. Young people can be passionate. Older people gotta be more wise. I mean, you're around awhile, you leave certain things to the young. Don't try to act like you're young. You could really hurt yourself." Bob Dylan 2015” . So the last week or two I’ve been taking it easier, riding every day, but just easier rides. Then two days ago, since I was feeling a lot better, I did a little harder trail ride and it was great, really had a good time. But this morning my left knee was back to hurting, I didn’t think I over did it the other day. Oh well, back to an easier ride today, until I went down on Laurel trail and damn it, right on my sore left knee again. Damn. This is getting ridiculous. I’m going to start cutting my rides back to just over one hour a day and take it easy. I have plans for different rides in the upcoming months now that the nice weather is here and I want to be in good shape and able to do them. Will power, that’s what I need.
at least the black eye from my fall last month is gone. 😊
Black eyes matter.jpg

Now for the good news.....went to orthopedic surgeon today and had xrays and a check over.
Everything seems pretty good, just bruised and beat up. He shot it with cortisone and said come
back in a week and we'll shoot some gel in there, then again in another week. I asked if I should baby
it or just act normal. He said treat it normal, just do what you always do. Great! Took some goofballs and hit the trails.
That was at 11AM, at1AM I was biking on the trails. Hit some fun singletrack and even did a crash, like I normally do. I did
wear my knee pads today and already used the right one in the crash. Great weather too.
Dsc05871.jpg

Dsc05883.jpg

Dsc05881.jpg

Last edited:
Nice ride this morning, got out early, before 6AM. Weather is great and trails are good too.
I took a side trail off of Iron Mt., I did this once before and didn’t make the end, I gave up.
Today was different, the climbs were tough and I had to hike a bike in places because I lost
traction and spun the rear tire causing a quick stop. I did ride the whole trail though.
At one spot I came up a hill, only to see two tents and a dying bonfire. I thought to ask for coffee,
but they weren’t awake yet. At trails end it came to someone’s back yard and I scoped it out and
took what I thought was the trail to the road, but I was wrong, I had to ride through their side yard
and spooked the cat and dog. When I got to the road I saw someone was in the car in the driveway
ready to leave. I stopped and the garage door went up and a lady came out. I apologized for using
the side yard, but she wasn’t mad, she just said I could use the property next to her to enter the trail.
I didn’t see it, but thanked her anyway. Then I took the road back to the parks rear entrance and continued my daily ride. It was a nice little adventure.
Doesn’t take much to make me happy.

the campers
Dsc06146.jpg

Peoples side yard
Dsc06147.jpg

trail
Dsc06143.jpg

spring
Dsc06145.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom