Race Timing

Would anyone be in favor of a better timing system? with a slight increase in entry $

• Yes

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Hell yes

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Hell no

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
There has been times when I have finished races in second, and wasn't even placed in the results (Blue Mountain Race for example). They had my team mate, who finished after me, finishing before me, and this kid who wasn't even in the group to begin with in my place.

However, when I spoke up and told them they were incorrect, I got the same answer each time.. "Oh don't worry, everything has been fixed!" Later on, when I checked the 'corrected' results, the same error was still present. Again, I told them it was incorrect, and that it would be changed when they are posted on the internet. Once again, they were incorrect. I e-mailed the director or whom ever was the recipient of the e-mail, and told them they were wrong. He told me that they will be correct when campmor receives the e-mail with the 'official' times.

I'll be waiting for the Campmor site to have the results, hopefully everything will be sound.

The timing at JH was awesome :) , props to everyone who made it an easy process.

If the old way of timing works leave it alone. When I've looked at race results the times were always posted so something went right. I don't think the riders (aka regi$trant$) benefit from electronic timing. The people who run the race do, which is fine. Also, think of an electrical situation like a short, or lightning, or just general break down and then imagine no one knowing the right times. Other bigger sports have electic timing and real people timing to back each other up. Just my two cents. It's not like I give a rat's ass, I just wanna go mountainbiking.

Perfect. You win post of the week !!!

USA Cycling License: $60
Race entry fee: $25
Gas and tolls to the race site: $30
Gel packs and race nutrition: $10
Replacing the chain and cassette you demolished in the race: $150
Beating your riding buddies in a head to head competition: priceless

;)

Compared to my yearly budget for beer, my yearly racing budget is pretty modest. One keeps me in shape so that I can enjoy the other... ;)

Holy Crap !!!

Consider how much time you put into training for a RACE and 25 Bucks is a bargin !!!

As for results this is the way MTB racing has been for as long as I remember which only goes back to 1997........ If you want your result you better hang out and see what you did !! Tell your wife and kiddies that you'll see them for dinner !!

Hey I guess no one here ever did one of Wally's races down at Allaire !! Results handwritten on a HUGE piece of cardboard !! And if you were an expert you got your results and award around 5pm.......and it was starting to get dark cause it was November.... I miss the Allaire Race !!

i'm not so sure now. after the tymor race. results and timing there ran with utmost speed and efficiency, and it was basically a three person deal. the announcer/dj calling out numbers for people to cheer them on, a spotter in the next tent over(at the finish line) calling out the numbers as they went by to the person writing them down on a chart. one of the sport guys walked up to double check that he got marked in, and within two seconds was told yes and what place he was in. very efficient. i was impressed.

Not to dredge up the topic again, but here's another interesting counterpoint. The race this past weekend out at Cathedral Pines on Long Island used chip timing, and had numerous timing errors. Not just a couple mistakes either- many errors, some of which resulted in incorrect awards being given out, and adjustments being made at or after the awards presentation (can you imagine being a 12 year old and having to give up the trophy you were just presented because the timers didn't register another 12-15 class racer's time?).

Check out the expert results, for example (apparently some experts averaged 400+ mph on that race course ;) ):

http://www.triandduit.com/

In the words of one of our racers:

"I used to think that some computerization would improve mtb racing, but this race seemed to prove that the old-fashioned way of hand-recording has its merits."

Not to dredge up the topic again, but here's another interesting counterpoint. The race this past weekend out at Cathedral Pines on Long Island used chip timing, and had numerous timing errors. Not just a couple mistakes either- many errors, some of which resulted in incorrect awards being given out, and adjustments being made at or after the awards presentation (can you imagine being a 12 year old and having to give up the trophy you were just presented because the timers didn't register another 12-15 class racer's time?).

Check out the expert results, for example (apparently some experts averaged 400+ mph on that race course ;) ):

http://www.triandduit.com/

In the words of one of our racers:

"I used to think that some computerization would improve mtb racing, but this race seemed to prove that the old-fashioned way of hand-recording has its merits."

We talked about this for a bit Saturday, and I still contend that the way it was done at Tymor is perfect. Ellen pointed out that it's essentially the same way they did it at Ringwood, just without the PA system. And in both of those races I was able to walk up and ask how I did and get an answer in 20 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom