Questions for the roadies among us

I've never been on a road bike, but can clearly see the attraction, even more so with this inclement weather. More or less I'd like to be on a bike whenever possible. This will inevitably lead to me delving into road riding when finances allow for it. Who knows when? I would absolutely love to get to work via bike.....but my commuting path from Edison to South River (rt 1/rt 18) seems like asking for injury. Im jealous of those of you who spend that much less time in a car.....while Im burning gas money/contributing to our invigorating jersey air.:rolleyes:

I agree with the whole "Cycling" angle mentioned. I dont see them as all that different.

Good roads are like good trails..... I'll take either.

Likewise I spend now much more time on a road bike. Fitness improved. There is no substitute for getting the desired workout regimen.

Time, Speed, and Distance

The road has many good things to offer:
*Ride time = ride time. Most people can leave right from their front door. Sure, some people are lucky enough to live close enough to a good park but most people have to put their MTB on a rack and drive.
*Spinning Zen - spinning is somewhat meditative, especially if you live near some good backroads.
*Speed - especially if you're in a group
*Stuff lasts virtually forever - most people aren't breaking seatposts and drive train parts.

I agree with goldbar. Road offers a lot of positives. (Especially at the Tour,...) Roadies can be zealots with their competivitness. All the smack talk between racers leads them to actually taking smack,... The joy of riding a bike then becomes an addiction which leads to more smack talk.

I know of 3 women that tried road racing to improve there mtn biking. They hated it. The other women were mean, unfriendly, with lots of attitude. Seems there is a great deal of "pecking order" in road racing. I guess it one feels they can "climb the ladder" and wait there turn to, "earn the respect" one can enjoy it's accomplishments, but for a lot of people that's a lot of work.

I'd rather just ride mtb bikes and the occassional "c" road ride. Life is what you make it,...I spin my wheels at a social pace.

I

I can say that I have reached a point again that I just really like being on a bike period, certainly more than driving a car. So to be able to just roll out and go means much more time on the bike and not in a car seat.

A bikes a bike

Road bike, mountain bike,full squish, single speed, park bike, fixed gear, cyclocross as long as I'm on two wheels things are good it sure beats working.

I felt the same about road bikes and now I really like it. In no particular order:

- Basically I have choice on any given day. Some days its nice to ride out of house on an early autumn day with a wind vest, autumn colors and long country roads. Think NH and VT; great road riding there.
- Climbing. In NJ/NY, there just aren't any sustained climbs in the woods. There is no Bear Mountain for MTB's. Legendary climbs like Mt Washington and Mt Ventoux also rank really high on my list of things I'm glad I did. You figure out how hard it is to get the proverbial "climbing rhythm", but when you do, there something very cool about it.
- Mountain descents at 45mph with switchbacks. Titiillating.
- Epic rides on a road bike are "the same but different" as epic MTB rides. I rode Paris-Roubaix in 2006 and it still ranks as one of the coolest rides of my life even with all the suffering that 155mi with 30mi of cobbles brings with it. Arenberg is holy ground; everyone should experience it; the Carrefour de l'Arbe is purgatory however. I died a thousand deaths there under the hot French sun with only a warm Coke for comfort. :puke: But oh, when we reached the Roubaix velodrome...the breath of life.
- quiet time to think. Sometimes its nice to go out and just roll without having to worry about technical riding. Obviously this entails picking your roads wisely, but if work is stressful, I find this often as therapeutic as a few hours alone in the woods.
- time to chat. I find it easier to catch up with friends while road riding as you can talk and roll then when in the woods where you typically have to stop to chat.
- my fixie. Just another way to enjoy the fun and get some exercise while commuting or early season riding. It's my version of a MTB rigid SS, sometimes the simplicity of 1 gear is really nice.
- keeping the trails intact post rain.
- winter rides. When the trails are snowed over, getting out with the squid suit, shoe covers, head sock, water bottles freezing up is fun in a really stupid kind of way. You feel much better sitting on the couch later that day watching the NFL playoffs :popcorn: "Why yes, I'd love another bowl of chili. After all, I rode 40mi today." Pisses the wife off everytime. :whoopdedo:

It's all good, give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom