preferred routes?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
rode sourlands for the second time this season yesterday (only 3rd time ever) and the condtions were great--what is everyones preferred route? Last time I went clockwise from the east mountain rd parking lot and yesterday I went counter--while I love technical descending, technical climb requires more patience (or skill) than I have. yesterday I thought was good except for the intial climb but after the loop I climbed the trail between 3 and 4 (blow down right near marker 4, btw) and looped back up to boulderama and the back down that same trail and it was great. what does everyone else like?

J-Dro

I was there yesterday morning too til around noon too. Conditions were pretty good... and I have never seen that parking lot so packed before. How many hikers gave you that "Oh my God, I can't believe you bike here!" look yesterday?:D

I usually go clockwise starting at post 13. That allows for a decent warm-up before you hit the climbs and gets most of the boardwalks out of the way early in the ride. Eventually work my way over to Boulderama, play around up there for a while, then hit the technical descent. If I have time, sometimes loop back up the trail between 3&4 and add some more mileage.

There is also a legal trail not shown on the map that connects between post 8&6 going through the 3M property. Somerset cty has an agreement with 3M to use those trails. There are some fun technical climbs back there.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i was there on Saturday and broke my der hanger at boulderama and shot down the pipeline chainless.
i usually like to follow the rim going either clockwise or counter depending on my mood...
clockwise= long climb, fun technical descent
counter clockwise= pushing bike up to boulderama, downhill the rest of the way

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i always go clockwise. i start out going in at the kiosk entrance, turn left at the first trail fork to go across the wood bridge, then i follow that trail left all the way out until i climb up to the 3M trail, then across the top to the playgrounds of boulders, then down the techy dh. i will occasionally go back in to hit the middle trail(s)... but lately i havent been.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
i tried to stick to some info from this thread as to which way to go...i went up to i guess level one.?. cut across way across...started up until i hit private property...came back did it again but went up higher...then had a nice ride down then the rains came for a bit...i did go OTB once that place works you mind body and eye sight real good...im liking it more and more the better i get at riding...but its still a kinda hard place just like CR is if you're not ready for it it will beat your ass

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
you're right i had to walk a few times but not too much compared to the last time i was there...and i had a few spots where some how the only thing that saved me was i was able to power out of mistakes some how...i should prob be in a cast right now...that place is tough

fasterthanliam

counter clockwise and keep to the right as you go up. it is the blue trail. steep and rocky but doable. i have done it that way and it will test all your fitness and skill. i would be happy to take anyone on this ride, it is about 2 miles from my house. bring band aids and water. you never know.

J-Dro

but its still a kinda hard place just like CR is if you're not ready for it it will beat your ass

Yeah the SL will give you a full can of whoop-ass sometimes. But after a few rides there you will have a day when you just nail everything perfect and there will be no bigger grin on your face ever.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
some of the real rocky parts...(bigger rocks) i felt like i was gonna lose my ankle if i unclipped and stepped down...some parts i rode thru and was repeating to my self "dont want to fall here" over and over again because you had to carry some speed...but the climbs in the woods werent bad and the down hills not to bad when they opened up a bit...not like i went there for an easy ride i wanted a test...and i got it...its like you pop your wheel over a rock just to stab it into another rock on the other side of the rock you just popped so what happened to me was i was getting stood up (stopped) but had enough balance not to crash then have to unclip...its a real cool place but hard...its intimidating to go fast but you have to so you can nail it over the rocks to slow and your front wheel isnt making it over or its sideways and you replacing it...

fasterthanliam

small group ride at sourlands. three or four people, a large group would not get anywhere. let me know this place is right down the street from me.

DirtyJerzey

I rode the SLMR for the first time Saturday. I was not prepaired for the beating I took, and that makes me only want to go back ASAP.

I was not familiar with the trails at all, so I made the mistake of going in the CCW direction. I rode up as far as I could, then started hiking when I was losing the battle. I made it to the bolder field but lost site of the trail. So I turned around and started the descent. That was the best part of the day, other than the one fall I took. Only slight bruising this time.

After that I shot across the lower trail and started going in a CW direction. Much better. I was able to get through the lower trails but didn't make it to the top, I ran out of time and had to pack it in.

Lesson learned, next time I'll go CW.

I was also able to make it out without breaking anything on the bike, I was surprised about that. Although my pedals, and cranks, have some new "character".

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I rode the SLMR for the first time Saturday. I was not prepaired for the beating I took, and that makes me only want to go back ASAP.

I was not familiar with the trails at all, so I made the mistake of going in the CCW direction. I rode up as far as I could, then started hiking when I was losing the battle. I made it to the bolder field but lost site of the trail. So I turned around and started the descent. That was the best part of the day, other than the one fall I took. Only slight bruising this time.

After that I shot across the lower trail and started going in a CW direction. Much better. I was able to get through the lower trails but didn't make it to the top, I ran out of time and had to pack it in.

Lesson learned, next time I'll go CW.

I was also able to make it out without breaking anything on the bike, I was surprised about that. Although my pedals, and cranks, have some new "character".

clockwise is the way to go - well i guess the more 'fun' way. that one climb you rode into is brutal. too bad you didn't make it to the top - the boulder fields are good fun.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Granted, I haven't been to Sourlands in about 3-4 years but my memories of climbing, ahem, hiking that boulder field you hit when circling in a counter clockwise direction are still distinct and indelibly etched in my memory banks.

Only because I know there are some really excellent bikers on this site that I mention this to some of you SL experts but does anyone, or better yet what percentage of bikers can clean the boulders in a counterclockwise way...that schnit is really tough...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I usually go over the bridge to the left after you get into the woods and then make a right to climb and then do the rest of the trail CCW. The boulder section is only (rideable?) going down, or at least I know I've never made it to the top of it. There's also 1 hill alongside a handrail about mid-way through the loop that is pretty bad either way you go, up or down, but it may again just be me...

-Jim.

J-Dro

Granted, I haven't been to Sourlands in about 3-4 years but my memories of climbing, ahem, hiking that boulder field you hit when circling in a counter clockwise direction are still distinct and indelibly etched in my memory banks.

Only because I know there are some really excellent bikers on this site that I mention this to some of you SL experts but does anyone, or better yet what percentage of bikers can clean the boulders in a counterclockwise way...that schnit is really tough...

If you haven't been there in 3-4 years, you probably haven't even seen the 'Boulderama' Trail since its relatively new. More boulder goodness then you can shake a stick at.

Some days I clear them, some days I don't. Some days it takes a few attempts. But riding here will kick your technical skills up a notch or two.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions