Post your SS '20 Edition!

53BF48D6-0FDB-4EB3-9637-C62C545C2311.jpeg

Ok who here ride a pink and blue sweet retrotec ss rigid with all the bling? Saw it at alaire on fri. It was pretty sweet.

You should have E fix it. Lifetime warranty, no?
I broke the frame three times. 1st:head tube weld 2nd and 3rd: seat tube (same spot) so I put a longer seat post to strengthen it and the crack stopped growing. Drew, the builder at Engin was pretty fair with me about the repairs but the seat tube replacement is a full frame replacement. I was disappointed at his reluctance to move forward with this but also felt like the lifespan of the frame had reached its limit. I only raced it for two years but rode a ton in 2010,11 and 12, like 80+miles a week, which is a lot for me. Nothing lasts forever and I raced it well. I was glad for that.

I broke the frame three times. 1st:head tube weld 2nd and 3rd: seat tube (same spot) so I put a longer seat post to strengthen it and the crack stopped growing. Drew, the builder at Engin was pretty fair with me about the repairs but the seat tube replacement is a full frame replacement. I was disappointed at his reluctance to move forward with this but also felt like the lifespan of the frame had reached its limit. I only raced it for two years but rode a ton in 2010,11 and 12, like 80+miles a week, which is a lot for me. Nothing lasts forever and I raced it well. I was glad for that.
Maybe. Does not seem like any of those failures were your fault, especially a headtube weld. Does not seem like there was any huckin’ involved. Maybe too short a seatpost but he should have told you this after incident #1. Seems suspect that all failures were at the welds. 10-12 years is not a long lifespan for a custom frame. I have a custom steel frame that is 10yrs old and have had none of those issues. Not sure this is a great indicator for frames built by E but I could be wrong.

Maybe. Does not seem like any of those failures were your fault, especially a headtube weld. Does not seem like there was any huckin’ involved. Maybe too short a seatpost but he should have told you this after incident #1. Seems suspect that all failures were at the welds. 10-12 years is not a long lifespan for a custom frame. I have a custom steel frame that is 10yrs old and have had none of those issues. Not sure this is a great indicator for frames built by E but I could be wrong.
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The seat tube crack was in the middle of the tube and absolutely not too short a seatpost. He filled the crack with brass and told me it may fail again. It did after exactly 12 rides. I really feel like metal fatigue was the true issue. I wasn’t doing six mile run every ride, ya know?
He had some frame crack issues with some of his early frames but I hear nothing but good stuff from people who have bought his stuff since my set of issues. Incidentally he only (to my knowledge) builds in Ti now.
All things considered I’d do it again. It was the finest and best looking frame I have ever owned and truthfully, I stood on the podium every race except 1 in the 2011 mass series Cat1 ss open. The bike was just plain old fast.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The seat tube crack was in the middle of the tube and absolutely not too short a seatpost. He filled the crack with brass and told me it may fail again. It did after exactly 12 rides. I really feel like metal fatigue was the true issue. I wasn’t doing six mile run every ride, ya know?
He had some frame crack issues with some of his early frames but I hear nothing but good stuff from people who have bought his stuff since my set of issues. Incidentally he only (to my knowledge) builds in Ti now.
All things considered I’d do it again. It was the finest and best looking frame I have ever owned and truthfully, I stood on the podium every race except 1 in the 2011 mass series Cat1 ss open. The bike was just plain old fast.
I do wish it had lasted longer tho.

Incidentally he only (to my knowledge) builds in Ti now.
Yes, only Ti now. But I seem to remember something about he would build a steel frame if the customer had previously purchased a steel frame from him. That may have changed.

I may look into it. I can see him rolling his eyes as I walk into his shop😂
Truthfully, I’m really digging the advancements in carbon fiber technology. My last two bikes, both pivot, have been fantastic.

Not trying to be a hater. I love custom built bikes. My steel frame had to have a gusset added to the rear seatstay by the brake mount after the fact. The builder was trying to keep my frame light for racing and the seatstay started to kink. Just seems to me that a custom frame investment should last a really long time; that seems like part of the deal vs. a mass produced frame.

Back
Top Bottom