Post your SS '20 Edition!

Jrzjoe

Not trying to be a hater. I love custom built bikes. My steel frame had to have a gusset added to the rear seatstay by the brake mount after the fact. The builder was trying to keep my frame light for racing and the seatstay started to kink. Just seems to me that a custom frame investment should last a really long time; that seems like part of the deal vs. a mass produced frame.
I can’t say I disagree. I was a little disappointed I didn’t get more out of it. I felt like kicking and screaming for him to make good on the circumstance would have earned another frame but also bad blood between he and I.
I dunno. I’ve broken a bunch of frames in all these years and I’ve come to accept that most mountain bikes break eventually. I’ve moved on.
Nice talking to you bro

Chris(NJ)

I may look into it. I can see him rolling his eyes as I walk into his shop😂
Truthfully, I’m really digging the advancements in carbon fiber technology. My last two bikes, both pivot, have been fantastic.

Same experiences here. Different builder for an old custom alum. frame left me never wanting custom built again unless it was for a road bike. Been happy w/ my Pivot too, so much that I just got another bike from them.
I'm not sure that custom is really worth it any more when you consider wait times, cost, etc.

Kona Honzo St and Salsa Mukluk
IMG_20201024_113705_447.jpg
IMG_20210305_135305_714.jpg

Ian F

I've known Drew at Engin for... over 25 years now (long before he started building frames). Generally a straight-shooter, but can be interesting to deal with. Yeah - only Ti now. He basically said the effort to build steel frames was about the same as Ti and the margins are better for Ti. Some day I'll have him build a road frame for me, but I know it'll be an interesting conversation because I know exactly what I want (basically: my Colnago with disc brakes and larger tires), which may or may not require some arm-twisting on my part. But he also knows how I am, so I imagine he'll give. Eventually. I want the finish to be similar in gaudiness to my Colnago as well, so his painter will have fun.

blackburn1973

Took the time this evening to bleed the brakes after switching to left rear, right front.

View attachment 147298

View attachment 147299

Just waiting on rabbit holes wheel set which is just impending better weather and pickup.

Check list
Wheels & tires 29x3(already located)
Dropper
Paint(don't worry @stb222 I'm actually painting it)
Fork/hub upgrade/update to 110x15

Need new thread for 2021
Late but serious question, @DEEZ NUTS. Why switch the brakes? Just personal preference or some other reason? Just wondering ...

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Late but serious question, @DEEZ NUTS. Why switch the brakes? Just personal preference or some other reason? Just wondering ...

First real mtb came from chain reaction with it set up that way, so I've been swapping them over for all my bikes or setting them up that way. At this point it's preference now.

I will do it to my sons' bikes as well since once they are my size I will have no choice but to buy a new bike for myself leaving them to deal with my preference.

serviceguy

Most European British riders are setup that way. Only person I know local to me who is setup that way is from Scotland.
FTFY. Apparently they have issues understanding if they're riding their bicycle or their motor bike, so they switch the bicycle brake levers.

Top Bottom