post your century rides.

Someone mention about having flats. I never thought about that, and someone say something about traveling light. Should I bring a patch kit in every ride?

carry a spare tube and small pump or co2 inflator. a patch kit is a good idea in addition to spare tube.

something about traveling light.

Tstire/Tube/Pump/Patch Kit/Multi-Tool w/ levers.

Skip one of those and you'll eventually be stuck with a flat and calling for a ride home.

Patch Kit is needed when you double-flat, find out the spare tube wore a hold in itself, or was a crap tube out of the box or just don't get out that piece of metal from the tire that keeps popping the tube. Small Pump is needed when you double flat, don't get a good connection on the valve, etc, etc.

CO2 is nice, but many times I've had to pull out my pump and help someone on the side of the road because they relied on it. Tubeless it's probably necessary tho.

-Steve

Ha ha ha! I'm not a flipping bird kinda guy, but I will consider that. Does mapmyride on the phone works? I'm not familiar about garmin. Thanks for the link.

MMR works - use the site to map out your ride, then load it to your phone. while riding, your position will stay centered on the phone, and the streets will appear from the top (i think it is set to "track up" all the time) with the route highlighted. if your position moves off the phone, hit the "locate" icon on the top of the screen.

location.png
icon looks like this

it uses up alot of juice with the screen running with a map on it - expect 2-3 hours of run time - turn off wifi, that saves a bit, dim the screen if it isn't too bright out. this may mean you are wearing down the batteries of your safety equipment, so an external battery may be a good idea.

one trick is to find some of the organized rides - Like Tour de Cure. they have route maps online, and sometimes the road markings are still visible (painted arrows on the road) MMR has a route explorer - it can be filtered by location and distance.

don't forget water and food (either real or energy gel/block/bar) - and eat/drink it.

who wants to talk about winter road equipment now? :popcorn:

Last edited:
Thanks fidodie. I went road biking today and after 7 miles I hit a pothole and got a pinch flat. Good thing I brought an extra tube and a co2 pump. After that I've decided to head back home. Not only that, I encountered a close call from a woman on a cell phone. Thank God I still manage to go back home in one piece. I know it's not a century ride, I hope it's ok. :D

Last edited:
hey,sandman.
you also need to carry a masterlink in addition what others has mentioned.
either for MTBiking nor road biking

and goodluck with your first century ride!

My only century ride back in 2018 from Key Largo to Key West. Strava says 98.98 miles but we started at mile marker 104 and stopped at 0 so Strava robbed us of a couple of miles. Here is the ride.
Start of the ride from the resort at Key Largo:
Key Largo Start.jpg

On the island of Key West:
In Key West.jpg

End of the ride:
Key West Finish.jpg

A well-deserved beer at the Green Parrot afterwards:
Beer after the ride.jpg

Crazy 10 years ago already

Sadly, my last century was back in 2020. I remember many of my usual water refill stops were closed that year, so that was a bit of a challenge. For really long rides during the summer, I'll carry three bottles - two on the bike and one in a jersey pocket. I was glad I did that during that ride. I tend to drink a lot of water during road rides, so I was on empty a couple of times.
Hopefully I'll get at least one century in during 2024.

Thought this thread was only about recent century rides. Ive done plenty of them but this year I think I only did my “double birthday mikes” back in June so it was 104.

In June 2020 during COVID when everything was still kinda shut down and my riding fitness was really high I came up with the idea for my bday to ride double my age (49). And then I decided it would be a good idea to add miles and ride my first ever 200K for good measure. Solo.

I’ve come close to this distance a few times have done an official Rando ride at 124 as well but that was all flat.

For 2024 I’m aiming to target one for March/April to kick start the season either and event or a homegrown route with some friends. I trained for LuLacka and did 101 mile gravel ride in April was pretty good. Maybe target HOH this year but ride the new gravel bike this time with wide road tires.

IMG_3654.png

Back
Top Bottom