post your century rides.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Covered Bridges Out 'n Back

Covered Bridges Out 'n Back

The covered bridges ride is an annual ride held by the Bucks County Cycling Club and is probably one of the best organized rides in the area. In 2010 I did this ride with Leo and Iggy, which was an epic fail course wise since we missed the first turn and went the wrong direction for 20 miles before we called and only rode 10 miles of the actually defined course. Last year didn’t work out for me and this year I was excited to ride as it is one of my favorite areas. I decided to ride to and from the ride to make for a long day.

Headed out it was just a peach of a morning and I watched the sun rise before the clouds ate the second almost minutes later. On the way there I kept it as flat as possible and chilled along the river. NJ 29 south of Lambertville sucks riding wise since there is very limited shoulder in a bunch of areas. I decided to take this route since I was alittle behind schedule so this was the quickest way. In L-ville I texted Capers to see if he was riding and he bailed since I continued on. Went over to PA at Lumberville and chilled on PA 32. Felt really good.

Got to the ride, registered, at a donut and chilled for a few min to see if anyone I knew came by. No one I recognized was around so I started the route. These super large group rides are weird as a single rider because it is always kind of odd latching onto a group where you don’t know anyone. Timing wise it sometimes doesn’t work out either as a few minutes difference means that you may not even see a group that is going the same speed as you. Anyways, on the first and only gravel road, I found myself with a few guys and a girl and it seemed like they were liked minded in terms of speed, so I stuck with them for a bit and eventually lost them. Just before the first rest stop, I had a slow leak a wrench from Guy’s cycles changed it for me, which was nice that I didn’t have to change it myself and use a CO2.

One of the best parts of this ride is the rest stops. Pretty much all homemade stuff and I think I only ate 2 items of my normal on the bike stuff and replaced that with roughly 52 chocolate chip cookies. Yum. At the rest stop I linked up with the previously mentioned group and stuck with them for the rest of the ride. Turns out the girl was worked for one of our friends so we chatted about that for awhile. The one guy of the group was attacking on every hill and I didn’t take the bait as I knew I would pay for it on the 30 miles home. Normally I would be game for such activity but I knew I made the right decision later in the ride.

Around 10 it starts raining, but is a nice rain and is on and off with nothing heavy.

About 15 miles from end, two of the guys want to pick up the pace and I am game. Go we are off and moving at a pretty good clip. The other two guys are much stronger on the flats but I still take my pulls. We pick up a few people here and there until one long low climb where we shed all of the guys. I am feeling pretty good but in the last five miles there is a bunch of small ups and downs and after the last second to last covered bridge I really feel it climbing out. I know I am cooked and shortly after I tell the guys to go ahead after the yellow in the tree started to look much, much brighter that I think they should. They stick with me for awhile but on the last bridge of the day, they go ahead. Ironically, it is the same spot where the dude on the hybrid passed Manny in 2010. The same did not happen to me this year, but I didn’t feel good at that point.

At the end, I grab another donut and 12 more cookies and am off. Ride home is almost the same and I am hurting a bit but feel decent.
So 126 and 7+ hours on the day, which I think is a longest day milestone for me. I have to admit I enjoy the rain like we had yesterday, just seems to go with the roads I was on and the colored leaves. These are the days where having the right clothing helps so much and I pretty much nailed dressing for the day. I happen to have on my Rapha jersey and my is that thing the most comfortable jersey I have ever worn for an extended period and didn’t stretch out like the other wool jerseys I have (probably because only 40% but still).

No real pictures, I suck, but here is one of the grit of the day.
picture.php

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, thats a long day. Sorry for bailing. Saturday, I had a long day & night, packed with activity. I seriously wanted to ride with you but when I woke up, I knew i'd be doing myself a disservice by not taking the day to recover/relax. In contrast to your longest day in the saddle, I think I set a record for hours on the coach :getsome:

THATmanMANNY

the hybrid had gears man!

isn't it fender season?

At least I still ride bikes. Leo :wedgie:

I was also more than happy living on the couch 24+hrs because I was deathly ill this weekend. I have to admit I enjoy the rain like we had yesterday, just seems to go with the couch while I caught up on The Walking Dead as I listened to the soft light rain hit the gutters and bring calmness into my life while the zombie heads were being split in half in the background. These are the days where having the right clothing helps so much and I pretty much nailed dressing for the day. I happen to have on my favorite fleeced lined sweats and snuggie and my is that thing the most comfortable thing I have ever worn for an extended period.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice job, that is a long day. It seems like that ride always has some rain. -5 for mentioning Ralpha clothing and no pic of said clothing.

liong71er

185 miles.

i just can't siting around and do nothing when the weather was so nice outside...

bikingpics2011007.jpg

bikingpics2011006-1.jpg

bikingpics2011005-1.jpg

bikingpics2011004-1.jpg

bikingpics2011003-1.jpg

re-capture the moment

start riding after 4am and almost hit a deer (still dark)
the weather man was wrong
i can't feel my arm and fingers after 1 hrs into the ride

the weather absolutely gorgeous and mild tempt at noon
drank too much sugary make me tummy unhappy
route 301 is my new favorite road
x-ing valley floor to get to the other side mountain certainly not fun (too many rooling hills in between)

rail trail is boring,but safer and relaxing
many folks on rail trail riding with no helmet

eat 4 times spicy instant ramen (cup noodles)
drinks 10 botles water,1 cup of joe, and 8 GU, 1 slice pizza, 2 banana, 2 egg custard and egg salad (taste like gas) then some barley salad,and the last fried chicken in fort lee.
and now as i type this post,eat some more.

almost lost my sunglasses,have to go back 1 1/2 miles one way and luckily it was still there.
i'm improving my moving time, by 2 hrs different from last yrs,todays i did 12 and half hours moving time.
no flats,no mechanical and most important i'm back home in one piece.
thank you lord!

185.6 miles
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/242559889

Last edited:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
If you took a left on 44 and climbed the little hill through Minnewaska, I could have met you for breakfast.

As always, good work!! The bar is raised again.

Sandman98

Do's and dont's

By the way you guys are hardcore. Anyway, I just started riding on roads. I want some tips with you guys about what to do and not to do on road riding.

1. Is there any special routes to take or to avoid? Like, staying away from main roads and stuff.
2. How do you deal with motorist?
Thanks! And stay safe.

Sandy

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want some tips with you guys about what to do and not to do on road riding.

1. Is there any special routes to take or to avoid? Like, staying away from main roads and stuff.
2. How do you deal with motorist?
Thanks! And stay safe.

Sandy

1- you should be somewhat familiar with the roads before you head out. If you're not sure you can always ask around if a particular road is safe to bike on, or look at posted files from garmin rides and ask about the roads.

2- dealing with motorists is no different then driving a car, whether you're at fault or not always flip the bird when a car beeps at you. ok thats not real good advice, but here is a ton of good info for heading out on the roads.

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6239

Sandman98

1- you should be somewhat familiar with the roads before you head out. If you're not sure you can always ask around if a particular road is safe to bike on, or look at posted files from garmin rides and ask about the roads.

2- dealing with motorists is no different then driving a car, whether you're at fault or not always flip the bird when a car beeps at you. ok thats not real good advice, but here is a ton of good info for heading out on the roads.

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6239

Ha ha ha! I'm not a flipping bird kinda guy, but I will consider that. Does mapmyride on the phone works? I'm not familiar about garmin. Thanks for the link.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does mapmyride on the phone works? I'm not familiar about garmin. Thanks for the link.

Not sure if you can use map my ride on you're phone. When going on a new route I write the directions down on paper and follow that. I look over my map 1st before i head out to become familiar with where I have to go...but when going on new roads I still get temporarily lost on occasion.

The Garmin 800 has the ability to follow a map, but again this is not necessary. I have the Garmin 500 which records data but does not give me a map.

Here is a Garmin file from Monmouth county with some good biking roads.
http://connect.garmin.com/player/212017150

Sandman98

Not sure if you can use map my ride on you're phone. When going on a new route I write the directions down on paper and follow that. I look over my map 1st before i head out to become familiar with where I have to go...but when going on new roads I still get temporarily lost on occasion.

The Garmin 800 has the ability to follow a map, but again this is not necessary. I have the Garmin 500 which records data but does not give me a map.

Here is a Garmin file from Monmouth county with some good biking roads.
http://connect.garmin.com/player/212017150

Thanks again for the link. I read that tread and its very informative. I almost got by the right hook in my short road experience. Someone mention about having flats. I never thought about that, and someone say something about traveling light. Should I bring a patch kit in every ride?

Top Bottom