Post your BooBoo's

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I would love to have a cool story around this one but the truth is, I couldn't get my foot unclipped and tipped over. A sharp rock took a chunk out of my knee but no pain, only a little blood.
20210326_172518.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
And this is why you should not stand on a ladder almost directly under a branch when you are cutting it.
View attachment 154626
Who would have thunk it?!?

Glasses are dead but did save my eye.

how ya feeling today?
note that i will eventually scold you for cutting while on a ladder, but saving that for the apropos time.

serviceguy

how ya feeling today?
note that i will eventually scold you for cutting while on a ladder, but saving that for the apropos time.
Fine, thanks for asking.

Scold away, I've never stopped being fine (arguably if I were fine I wouldn't have climbed on a ladder to chop a branch). At least this time I used a pole hand saw, last time I was on a ladder under a tree I was wielding my 18" chainsaw! The branch just brushed my face, I'm convinced what cut me was actually the glasses. Which I glued back together but fit wonky because a missing metal spacer that stops the temple from opening too much. New frame was overdue, it just may not be from the mothership this time, not enough time to source one. I maybe recycling my older frame that I've been wearing yesterday after busting the current one, the lenses are scratched anyway. All in the name of brand loyalty (and because everybody was busting my balls when I showed up with a Prada frame a few years back).

What is interesting is that both my wife and my mother commented that I should have gone riding my bike instead of gardening!

pkovo

Lost the front end in the last hard left on the blue flow trail today. Free of “real Injuries” thanks to the set of downhill knee pads I was wearing, but plenty of trail rash. Arms and shoulder the worst but leg and lower back took some as well.

My knee impacted hard...I was somewhat astonished I walked away with only rashes.

62C770B3-8A32-4E9C-8C00-291B80406DBE.jpeg

Last edited:

Ian F

Fine, thanks for asking.

Scold away, I've never stopped being fine (arguably if I were fine I wouldn't have climbed on a ladder to chop a branch). At least this time I used a pole hand saw, last time I was on a ladder under a tree I was wielding my 18" chainsaw! The branch just brushed my face, I'm convinced what cut me was actually the glasses. Which I glued back together but fit wonky because a missing metal spacer that stops the temple from opening too much. New frame was overdue, it just may not be from the mothership this time, not enough time to source one. I maybe recycling my older frame that I've been wearing yesterday after busting the current one, the lenses are scratched anyway. All in the name of brand loyalty (and because everybody was busting my balls when I showed up with a Prada frame a few years back).

What is interesting is that both my wife and my mother commented that I should have gone riding my bike instead of gardening!
Ouch. Some years ago when I was working on my ex's house, I was using a hole-saw with my 18V right-angle drill. The hole saw blade did what they are wont to do and jammed up on the wood. The drill kept trying to turn. And I was on a ladder as the hole was between rafters above the ceiling. Well, the drill swung around and clocked me right on the chin, splitting it open. Fortunately, I managed to not fall off the ladder. From then on, if I need to use a RA drill, I use my massive H-F 3/4" model. While bulky to use and heavy AF, the added weight helps keep it under control.

More recently... it looks like I'll need to find some "how to chop veggies" videos for my 72 year old mother, who somehow managed to slice off part of her index finger while preparing Easter dinner on Sunday. She does not do well with blood or pain and fainted while I was dressing the wound. Fun times.

serviceguy

Ouch. Some years ago when I was working on my ex's house, I was using a hole-saw with my 18V right-angle drill. The hole saw blade did what they are wont to do and jammed up on the wood. The drill kept trying to turn. And I was on a ladder as the hole was between rafters above the ceiling. Well, the drill swung around and clocked me right on the chin, splitting it open. Fortunately, I managed to not fall off the ladder. From then on, if I need to use a RA drill, I use my massive H-F 3/4" model. While bulky to use and heavy AF, the added weight helps keep it under control.

More recently... it looks like I'll need to find some "how to chop veggies" videos for my 72 year old mother, who somehow managed to slice off part of her index finger while preparing Easter dinner on Sunday. She does not do well with blood or pain and fainted while I was dressing the wound. Fun times.
I hear you, every time I skype my mom she has a new band-aid on her hand due to some gardening/kitchen accident. It's been like this since I first met her, which has been a while now...

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
F***ing flat pedals. :mad:
I rarely bash my shins but this always seems to happen to me. I'm looking into some type of calf guard - like shin pads but for the back of my legs. Anyone have ideas?

IMG_8049.jpeg

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Lizardskins? I seem to remember the back of the leg protection is pretty good.
I might give these a try but not sure they cover low enough...

pkovo

F***ing flat pedals. :mad:
I rarely bash my shins but this always seems to happen to me. I'm looking into some type of calf guard - like shin pads but for the back of my legs. Anyone have ideas?

View attachment 155322
I’ve torn both my calves in the past and the scar tissue leaves me prone to calf strains so sometimes I wear calf sleeves. They are just neoprene sleeves that kind of keep your calves tight. Mostly needed for running, but I wear them riding sometimes for warmth, or to prevent road/trail rash ifJ fall (bmx or pump track). They definitely help with the pedals to the shin or backnof leg. The ones I have are made by McDavid. Nothing special but they work.

Top Bottom