Post your BooBoo's

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
For the back of the leg pedal strikes, have you tried a lower saddle position? Helps keep the feet planted...
I would be more worried about my ankles getting chewed up with them not-socks

200w.gif

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
For the back of the leg pedal strikes, have you tried a lower saddle position? Helps keep the feet planted...
I hit a rock with my pedal coming around a rocky corner. Got thrown off the bike. This was part of the aftermath. F***ing low BBs on these new bikes. :mad:

Ian F

I rode the Fredrick Watershed last weekend - very rocky trails. Low BB plus 175mm cranks = more pedal strikes than I could count. But I've always run my bikes as low as possible, so I'm used to it.

mfennell

I'm not gonna post a pic but if you must: https://www.strava.com/activities/5243488488 to see the immediate aftermath. Riding Tatum (f'ing TATUM) Tuesday night I was going kind of quick in the 0.1mi of single track in the back corner when SMASH, blinding pain, blood all over my lower right leg, just above the ankle. A downed branch (I assume - I did not return to investigate) had a jagged end sticking into the trail and I blasted right into it. I didn't even crash.

Called my wife and limped home. Off to the EMO. The Dr. looked at it for 10 seconds. "You have to go to the ER".

Two puncture wounds. They were close enough together that the Dr (a plastic surgeon that the PA appeared to worship) slice the bridge and made it one. He had me articulate my ankle so he could observe my tendon and muscle. Then he performed some kind of minor procedure, taking the time to describe what he was doing to the student PA, who thought it was the coolest thing ever. I have no idea, because I had my eyes closed!

In the end, I was pretty damn lucky. Small nick in the tendon. The damage was bad enough that he did not suture me up. He said the additional swelling would be problem.

Tuesday night was a whole lot of pain. Despite lots of bandaging, it looked like a crime scene when I woke up. Spent all day with my leg elevated and it was manageable bythe afternoon. Worse this morning but I guess that will be the pattern for the next couple (?) weeks.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm not gonna post a pic but if you must: https://www.strava.com/activities/5243488488 to see the immediate aftermath. Riding Tatum (f'ing TATUM) Tuesday night I was going kind of quick in the 0.1mi of single track in the back corner when SMASH, blinding pain, blood all over my lower right leg, just above the ankle. A downed branch (I assume - I did not return to investigate) had a jagged end sticking into the trail and I blasted right into it. I didn't even crash.

Called my wife and limped home. Off to the EMO. The Dr. looked at it for 10 seconds. "You have to go to the ER".

Two puncture wounds. They were close enough together that the Dr (a plastic surgeon that the PA appeared to worship) slice the bridge and made it one. He had me articulate my ankle so he could observe my tendon and muscle. Then he performed some kind of minor procedure, taking the time to describe what he was doing to the student PA, who thought it was the coolest thing ever. I have no idea, because I had my eyes closed!

In the end, I was pretty damn lucky. Small nick in the tendon. The damage was bad enough that he did not suture me up. He said the additional swelling would be problem.

Tuesday night was a whole lot of pain. Despite lots of bandaging, it looked like a crime scene when I woke up. Spent all day with my leg elevated and it was manageable bythe afternoon. Worst this morning but I guess that will be the pattern for the next couple (?) weeks.
Crap. I'm getting woozy thinking about it. Glad you were able to self extract. Heal up quick.

ekuhn

Tuesday night was a whole lot of pain. Despite lots of bandaging, it looked like a crime scene when I woke up. Spent all day with my leg elevated and it was manageable bythe afternoon. Worst this morning but I guess that will be the pattern for the next couple (?) weeks.
Heal up fast man.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Oh wow! FWIW, this thread is for posting the pic. Heal up quick!

JDurk

Sorry to hear, and see the pic. Glad you got it taken care of at the ER. A mtb teammate had the same thing happen to him during a ride at the Wiss. However, he did not go to the ER. Just pulled the stick out and continued riding. A few days later it was extremely infected. Apparently a piece of the stick was still in there. Had to have a hole dug into the front of his shin. It was pretty bad.

Edit: found some pics of his wound from his FB posts
1620308205050.png

1620308104188.png

1620308069190.png

Last edited:

Ian F

Yikes! That does sound like a nasty one. Did the doc mention anything about an infection risk? Antibiotics script?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

WTF?!? Post a pic or stop wasting our time.

;)

mfennell

Yikes! That does sound like a nasty one. Did the doc mention anything about an infection risk? Antibiotics script?
Yep. Tetanus booster too.
Sorry to hear, and see the pic. Glad you got it taken care of at the ER. A mtb teammate had the same thing happen to him during a ride at the Wiss. However, he did not go to the ER. Just pulled the stick out and continued riding. A few days later it was extremely infected. Apparently a piece of the stick was still in there. Had to have a hole dug into the front of his shin. It was pretty bad.
Yikes. They actually did a CT scan to be sure there wasn't any debris in there.

Ian F

Yep. Tetanus booster too.

Yikes. They actually did a CT scan to be sure there wasn't any debris in there.
Good to hear.

Back in 2000 at DH practice at the Mt Snow NORBA event I crashed and took a pedal to the shin below my leg armor, resulting in a deep gash. I immediately went to the on-site care center where the NP gave it a local and then scrubbed the mud out with a plastic brush for about 20 min and then stitched it back together. After she finished, she gave me some antibiotics and a warning, "I can't guarantee it won't get infected..." but fortunately, she did a really good job.

Last edited:

pkovo

Not even sure how I did this. Monday afternoon 6 hours into my workday sitting at my desk, my foot felt funny. Had a swollen spot with light bruising that itched and hurt together. Could feel a lump in my foot walking. Iced it and kept working, the next day lunp was gone and it was bruised. Bruise grew through yesterday and now seems to have peaked and maybe getting better.

I stayed off the bike M-W. Rode Nassau last night in thick soles fiveten impacts and felt ok. I rode alot over the weekend, some of which involved jumping on a DJ with 50+ psi in the tires so maybe that played a part, but so strange that I dont really know what did it.

Seems like nothing compared to the massive puncture wounds on display here lately 😬

4E2AD77E-B4A1-4818-B825-379973665137.jpeg

Top Bottom